DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

Ten years ago KENTA in WWE would have made some sense. Don't really see the point in bringing him in now---he's bigger, sure, but also older and banged up, and not the motivated freaky athletic guy he was in his prime. He doesn't have any of the buzz he did back when he was still a Jr. and was every US indy fan's favourite wrestler. Then again that description sounds an awful like Benoit and Eddy and Danielson around the time Vince started pushing them, so maybe the time is right for KENTA in WWE.

If they were really gonna pick up a free agent from Japan and feud him with Bryan for the title though I wish they'd just bring in Devitt.

Devitt is going to WWE, though. And KENTA is still in very good shape and motivated.

What freaky athletic spots was KENTA ever doing in the first place? Seems like his calling has always been aggressive, stiff, strike based matches and he is no less capable of those now. Not that that style really has a place in WWE, but if there was ever a time to bring him in it's definitely now.

What freaky athletic spots was KENTA ever doing in the first place? Seems like his calling has always been aggressive, stiff, strike based matches and he is no less capable of those now. Not that that style really has a place in WWE, but if there was ever a time to bring him in it's definitely now.

Aside from that leap from the mat to the top rope he used to do in his junior days, nothing out of the ordinary.

Seems like his calling has always been aggressive, stiff, strike based matches and he is no less capable of those now. Not that that style really has a place in WWE...

Have you missed that last year in WWE? Aggressive, stiff, strike-heavy matches are what the newer crop of guys are showing laying out.

I've never seen much of KENTA, but his reputation precedes him. He's influenced a lot of guys and paid his dues--if its his dream, more power to him. Time to try to cash in...

Guest Edwin

All these scenarios you guys are making of KENTA coming to be involved in any type feud with DBryan for the title and being brought in by HHH and being a Paul Heyman guy are funny considering we all know that won't be happening. He'll most likely end up getting a sick squash match debut before fading into obscurity.

Also aside from the Busaiku Knee Kick being hijacked by DBryan and the go 2 sleep being hijacked by Punk, lets not forget that DBryan also hijacked the GAME OVER so that's 3 moves there's a good chance he won't be using although I wouldn't be surprised if WWE let him use the go 2 sleep since Punk isn't with the company anymore, but I highly doubt it since that'll just most likely break out more CM Punk chants and will most likely be seen as a taunt by KENTA and will get him booed.

Bryan was using the LeBell Lock before KENTA was. KENTA's only used it since the Global League in November,2011 while Bryan has used it at least since coming back in the Summer of 2010. KENTA has copied several WWE moves over the years. Orton's DDT and punt, this one, the STF if you want to go with that as well. Probably others I'm not thinking of as well.

Guest Edwin

I don't keep up with wrestling now, so I had no idea KENTA has hijacked so many moves from WWE. Either way you can scratch that move from his arsenal too.

Fair points all around re: my doubts about KENTA's current in-ring abilities. But how about we move away from the WWE discussion and talk about how this effects NOAH? With KENTA gone that leaves the top of their roster looking like Morishima, Taniguchi, Marufuji (who is inured all the time), Sugiura, Yone and some of the juniors. Not exactly an A-list set of challengers lined up to eventually take the belt away from Nagata (especially since he's already beat most of them).

NOAH's been hurting for a long time now so it's not like KENTA leaving really makes the picture all that more worse than it already is but it's certainly not going to help. 

Guest Edwin

Coming soon to Shin Kiba: Pro Wrestling Japheth

I'm not sure NOAH could sell out Shin-Kiba. 

Pretty much all the stars in NOAH are damaged goods anyway due to the grueling work ethic. I don't see New Japan wanting anyone except for maybe some of the juniors. Morishima and Sugiura would be fun in All Japan but once they've both finished feuding with Suwama and Doering there wouldn't be a lot of interesting matchups there. I'm probably alone in thinking this but I think Genba Hirayanagi is NOAH's least-utilized asset. I think he would be a great breath of fresh air in either NJPW or AJPW, heeling it up with their top jr. babyfaces. Six man tags with Gedo, Jadoh & Genba as the heel team. Or TAKA, Taichi and Genba. Genba as the first Japanese member of the Bullet Club. And so on. 

Does anyone have that suggestive pic of Ibushi and Omega, that was taken for some Golden Lovers calendar/picture book? I'm trying to explain to a friend that suggesting that they're gay plays well with the female teen audience over there.

There is an audience for that kind of stuff amongst girls in Japan, this is true. Yaoi and bishonen manga and all that.

Anyway, here, I think it was a poster or something:

tumblr_n0e28zjRZo1rpriqbo1_500.png

Or if this is more your style:

x24a51.jpg

• Like 1

This might be a foolish question but why wouldn't NOAH go after the BJPW Strong Style guys?  You'd get some younger wrestlers with a hard-hitting style and it would certainly freshen up the scene there.  I'm sure you could try and sell them on re-building the house that Kobashi and Misawa built.

they do seem to be headhunting Sekimoto lately. if they were going to toss some money around and try to score one big indie name he wouldn't be a bad choice. doubt it would help them long term though, unless he brought along Okabayashi and some of their other cronies.