DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

In many cases the wrestlers are under contract on salary. Any show that brings in more than the building rental is a plus. Tickets probably average $50. Wrestlers are required to train at the dojo most days like a normal full time job. The set up the ring in the middle of nowhere since we are here is pretty correct.

Guest Edwin

For those of you having trouble figuring out the names listed, there's some somewhat recognizable names on that list of backyard wrestlers turned pro like Hayabusa, Mr. Gannosuke, MEN'S Teioh, Onryo, Tigers Mask from Osaka Pro, Danshoku Dieno, GENTARO, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shinobu, Togi Makabe, HARASHIMA, Yasu Urano, KUDO, Choun-Shiryu, Futoshi Miwa, Ken Ohka, Antonio Honda and Takao Soma.

After Mick Foley, Tanahashi's the second biggest backyard wrestler to find success as a pro.

So this past Friday (the 21st), I went to my first ever BJW show. I had never actually watched BJW but it was holiday and it was a day show so I could watch it and get back home the same day with no problems. There was actually a Zero-1 show at the same place in the evening but I couldn't stay.

It was a fun show. I'd seen Hakata StarLanes on TV via a bunch of Dragon Gate shows so it was nice to be there in person (there was also a BJW fan thing at the bowling alley after the show).

Opening match was interesting in that they were trying to get pins off of things like body slams and dropkicks. The women's match was OK if a bit sloppy. Risa Sara whiffed on a kick that Sumire Natsu had to sell and at the end of the match Natsu took a nasty looking kick from Tsukasa Fujimoto that left her with this.

The main event was bloody, which is understandable although crazy since they did a light bulb tag match the night before in Yonago. At least this show was being filmed (actually, I think it was or will be broadcasted). To take that much abuse for a crowd in the hundreds is something else.

A few photos. I forgot to charge my camera battery so these were all taken with my phone:

Shinjiro Otani was selling stuff. He signed my poster.

DSC_0189.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

DSC_0234.jpg

I had a slight bout of indy pride and decided to buy stuff.

DSC_0238.jpg

• Like 3

Make of this what you want.

3/23 Osaka Tornado vol. 6 Results: Future Revealed

The main event saw the Big Guns successfully defend their Osaka Pro Tag Titles against the equally powerful duo of Quiet Storm & Kaientai Dojo’s Yuji Hino.  In the end, Zeus hit the chokeslam on Storm for the pinfall victory.

Afterwards, the foursome of Tsubasa, Kuishinbo Kamen, Ultimate Spider Jr, and Takoyakida appeared and announced that they would be staying with Osaka Pro.  Kuishinbo then actually spoke about this year being his 15th anniversary, then mentioning how the four of them would need help…

…which led to Gamma appearing in a suit.  Gamma said he would be assisting the “new” Osaka Pro and then brought out HUB, who was also in a suit.  HUB took the mic and announced that besides the two of them, Magnitude Kishiwada and Kikutaro would be helping out in the future.  The “new” Osaka Pro is scheduled to start on 4/29 at Matsushita IMP Hall.

Considering that Kishiwada and HUB are currently a big part of the rival Dotonbori Pro-Wrestling, this is an interesting development.

One of the downsides of watching as much puro as I currently am (on my 27th review for a 2014 event) is that my ability to call spots is getting really good.  Like I am typing my play by play before it actually happens sometimes.  Not intentionally, my brain just likes being a step ahead I guess. This is understandable since wrestling is wrestling and can only be so different, but it does show an occasional lack of creativity.  That is why I really love the matches that do something different and show some creativity.... if I don't ever know during a match what is coming next, or if what I expect to happen next doesn't, they are doing a great job of being original and trying something new/different.  Also some moves have really gotten oversaturated.  I know these things go in waves but if I see one more double stomp variety or reverse STO into the turnbuckles I am going to kick someone.  These shouldn't be moves that I see on so many different events or in opening matches.  This NOAH event has had four different wrestlers do double stomps and I am only six matches into the event, it is done more than a vertical suplex.

The STO-into-buckles is done by Rollins and double stomp variations are being done by Bryan, Cesaro, and apparently Del Rio in WWE now. At least they have the taste to restrict it to four wrestlers.

It can't possibly be as bad as Japan's (and the US') spear obsession back in the day... or can it?

Damn Ohtani is big. Haven't seen dude in YEARS.

This NOAH event has had four different wrestlers do double stomps and I am only six matches into the event, it is done more than a vertical suplex.

Funny you say that. I went to RAW last nght and I counted 9 backbreaker variations through the course of the night. Overkill man. 

Damn Ohtani is big. Haven't seen dude in YEARS.

This NOAH event has had four different wrestlers do double stomps and I am only six matches into the event, it is done more than a vertical suplex.

Funny you say that. I went to RAW last nght and I counted 9 backbreaker variations through the course of the night. Overkill man. 

I know, right?  There ended up being one more in the NOAH event, so five different wrestlers in five different matches.  It could be worse, the "Shining Wizard" phase was brutal since it is a move that has an illogical set-up most of the time but every Indy wrestler in America was using it for a few years there.  It is just funny, you'd think wrestlers would want to be unique, not do the same basic moves the dudes in the last match did.

A different topic and two weeks old, but I haven't seen it discussed yet - Akebono beat Miyahara in 9 minutes in front of 1,100 fans at Korakuen.  So far in 2014 the following promotions have gotten a higher attendance there:  New Japan, Wrestle-1, NOAH, Dragon Gate, DDT, Big Japan, Diamond Ring, Legend, and just about tied with Stardom.

So my question is, is it still due to the defection or are fans just not interested in Akebono being the main attraction in a promotion?  I know I am not, even though I have seen some on here have been enjoying his matches, but it doesn't seem the crowd is latching on... yet he keeps on winning.  Wouldn't they be better off pushing Shiozaki or... anyone else?  I feel kinda bad for them since they have been a promotion so long but if this is their future it doesn't look bright.  Even in their 'down years' of 2002-2003 they still had decent attendances, the last six months have been embarrassing.  

I have no problem with the multiple backbreaker variations because they are different enough that they don't get too redundant.  That is like complaining that there are too many suplex variations on a card.  I think the spear over saturation is the worst of the spots discussed because I don't think anyone has ever done a spear better than Goldberg who started the whole thing.  The double stomp is a close second.

A different topic and two weeks old, but I haven't seen it discussed yet - Akebono beat Miyahara in 9 minutes in front of 1,100 fans at Korakuen.  So far in 2014 the following promotions have gotten a higher attendance there:  New Japan, Wrestle-1, NOAH, Dragon Gate, DDT, Big Japan, Diamond Ring, Legend, and just about tied with Stardom.

So my question is, is it still due to the defection or are fans just not interested in Akebono being the main attraction in a promotion?  I know I am not, even though I have seen some on here have been enjoying his matches, but it doesn't seem the crowd is latching on... yet he keeps on winning.  Wouldn't they be better off pushing Shiozaki or... anyone else?  I feel kinda bad for them since they have been a promotion so long but if this is their future it doesn't look bright.  Even in their 'down years' of 2002-2003 they still had decent attendances, the last six months have been embarrassing.  

Its probably a combination of both.

I have no problem with the multiple backbreaker variations because they are different enough that they don't get too redundant.  That is like complaining that there are too many suplex variations on a card.  I think the spear over saturation is the worst of the spots discussed because I don't think anyone has ever done a spear better than Goldberg who started the whole thing.  The double stomp is a close second.

Trust me, it wasn't much variation last night. Muta style back breakers. Tilt-a-whirl back breakers. I was sick of it in my head. I see your point though. 

• Like 1

Well, it was basically a nothing show and he never meant anything as a draw, so it's not that big of a deal. They run there tomorrow as well, so that also didn't help.

Is there a reason Wataru didn't even work a match on his retirement show? Is he super banged up?

I always thought he was somewhat under appreciated. His tag team with Kanemoto produced a couple really high end Jr tags. They made me want to watch Jado & Gedo for gods sake.

His neck and shoulder just aren't recovered enough to do what he'd want to do in a retirement match. They likely never will be either.