DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

I have no clue why this is happening. Michael Tarver and some guy named BIGDADDY YUM-YUM are on the next NJPW tour. Yum Yum is facing Kojima for the NWA Title and Tarver is facing Tenzan, holy shit, that is going to be fucking horrible. They also face them for the NWA tag belts #1 contendership. Big Daddy Yum-Yum is a former WWE Dev wrestler named Byron Wilcott, he went by Lennox McEnroe in FCW. Oh, he was the father of the baby Awesome Kong miscarried.

Hold on... I thought Amazing Kong's baby daddy was white. Oh well. Is big daddy yumyum always in all caps or was that your doing?

That's their doing. Also, he claimed it was him on some old note I found when trying to find who he was, so it may be wrong.

The only matches I'm looking forward to from this New Japan tour are Nagata & Saku/Yano & Iizuka and that could suck if Yano tries to be funny and Nagata decides to be goofy, but I'm hopeful Saku and Iizuka can hold it together to make it at least decent, Naito & Honma/Yujiro Ishii, Naito/Ishii which has serious potential since Naito's fairly decent and Ishii's well Ishii and Okada/Goto.

I see no reason why they'd do rematches of crappy matches from the Dome like the IWGP tag title match unless they plan on giving Harry Smith and Lance Hoyt the titles back, Tanahashi vs. Nakamura XXXV and the hideous rematch of the abortion that Nagata & Saku/Gracies was.

And I'm not looking forward to the Young Bucks/Time Splitters, but I hope the Young Bucks lose the titles.

See I think there are a stack of fun 6-man tags to look forward to. The lucha tour brings something different to the pairings.

The IWGP tag title rematch is dissapointing. All 4 guys are decent to very good but I'm not sure both teams are needed in NJPW. It might have been a disaster but why not give Sakuraba/Nagata a title shot? Outside of that I'd like to see Ishii beat Naito and No Limit to get back together.

I see no reason why they'd do rematches of crappy matches ...the hideous rematch of the abortion that Nagata & Saku/Gracies was.

There's a reason for the rematch. The Gracies used the gi choke and that gave SakuGata the DQ win but they [The Gracies] thought it was a fight with no rules hence them thinking the gi choke was legal and celebrating like they'd won despite being DQ'd. The Gracies wanted a rematch under their rules and it was accepted.

Unless it's actually a real shoot ZST-style grappling tag team match, it won't likely be any good.

I think that would actually work and Saku would have a good chance at holding his own against the Gracies if he's still training at all, but Nagata would get steamrolled and that's something I'm sure New Japan doesn't want.

It's definitely Mikami. A guy over on Stu's board saw the show and it's obviously him by how he moves.

Watching some stuff from a few years ago... God I wish this was a returning Munenori Sawa.

NJ does need to freshen up the Jr division. A good start would be signing Hayato Fujita Jr. If he still wants to work Mich Pro give him the Ibushi deal.

• Like 1

It's definitely Mikami. A guy over on Stu's board saw the show and it's obviously him by how he moves.

Watching some stuff from a few years ago... God I wish this was a returning Munenori Sawa.

NJ does need to freshen up the Jr division. A good start would be signing Hayato Fujita Jr. If he still wants to work Mich Pro give him the Ibushi deal.

This is something I never have understood about puroresu, how do the smaller promotions keep their talent, especially when NJPW is willing to share the wealth?  Wouldn't Michinoku Pro be better off with a IWGP Jr. champion, which could be part of the agreement, on their roster?  The Best of the Super Jr. seem to get talent from just about all of the Japanese promotions, and NJPW has not been shy about giving outsiders some shine.  

I think my dream scenario, especially due to what seems like a dearth of new Jr. talent, would be if all of the promotions got together and decided it was in their best interest to share all of their Jr. talent.  So what if the next Best of the Super Jr. tournament was to crown a new J Crown and every promotion in Japan provided three guys to compete for a new title that would be defended throughout all the promotions.  I think it would breath life into a division that has become unbelievably stale. 

I think Ibushi is the first guy sign with NJ but also be allowed to remain in his previous promotion. I'd like to see NJ bring in a few of his former rivals for defenses. HARASHIMA, Kenny Omega, I even dig Madoka but he's not much of a name.

Another idea for NJ jr's that will never happen is CIMA. He's announces to the Dragon Gate crowd he's done it all in DG and needs a new challenge. To go to New Japan, beat Ibushi and bring the IWGP title back to Dragon Gate.

I think Ibushi is the first guy sign with NJ but also be allowed to remain in his previous promotion. I'd like to see NJ bring in a few of his former rivals for defenses. HARASHIMA, Kenny Omega, I even dig Madoka but he's not much of a name.

Another idea for NJ jr's that will never happen is CIMA. He's announces to the Dragon Gate crowd he's done it all in DG and needs a new challenge. To go to New Japan, beat Ibushi and bring the IWGP title back to Dragon Gate.

Ibushi is the first guy who actually signed with NJPW, but they've had multiple champions from other promotions.  Marufuji was champ for about six months, Mistico had a reign, and Ibushi had two runs before actually signing with the company. To Harbinger's point NOAH and AJPW don't have much going on in their Jr. divisions so why not let their guys compete in NJPW. I started watching puroresu because of the Jrs. and I just want them to have a murderers row of guys like they had back in the '90s.

This is something I never have understood about puroresu, how do the smaller promotions keep their talent, especially when NJPW is willing to share the wealth?  Wouldn't Michinoku Pro be better off with a IWGP Jr. champion, which could be part of the agreement, on their roster?  The Best of the Super Jr. seem to get talent from just about all of the Japanese promotions, and NJPW has not been shy about giving outsiders some shine.  

I think my dream scenario, especially due to what seems like a dearth of new Jr. talent, would be if all of the promotions got together and decided it was in their best interest to share all of their Jr. talent.  So what if the next Best of the Super Jr. tournament was to crown a new J Crown and every promotion in Japan provided three guys to compete for a new title that would be defended throughout all the promotions.  I think it would breath life into a division that has become unbelievably stale. 

Loyalty is a big thing in Japan but when the money isn't pouring in, loyalty doesn't get you much. NJPW and AJPW refused to steal each others talent during the 90's and even refused to steal talent off of smaller and more vulnerable promotions. People also never had to worry about getting released even when they were past their expiration date(see all of AJPW's comedy tags of the 90's) but again, more money was coming in. NJPW wasn't the first to do it but when they got rid of Yoshie, Nishimura and some vets, it was a sign of times changing.

The promotion's could never all join together. Maybe for a show or two but that's it. The reason is mostly because of ego's. Yes, it would be best for wrestling if there were only a few promotions but then everyone couldn't be the boss. Look at Wrestle-1 and AJPW for a modern example. Two companies that aren't drawing that great hoping that they can be the one who was right and outlast the other.

You can basically trace the history of Japanese wrestling off one person wanting things his way and/or a promotion closing. You go:

JWA -> NJ/AJ -> SWS/WAR/NOAH/Z1/UFO/WRESTLE-1/Kings Road/UWFi/Pancrase/RINGS/PRIDE/Kingdom/PWFG/MUGA

AJW -> Original JWP/JWP/LLPW/UWA(Somewhat, not exact)/Jd'/GAEA/Oz Academy/ARSION/NEO

UWA -> Michinoku Pro/Osaka Pro/Delfin's Osaka Pro Offshoot

• Like 1

You just want El Samurai to be back full-time again. The horror.

El Samurai could teach these current Jr.'s how to properly work a Jr.'s match without having to do or overuse backflips.

Loyalty is a big thing in Japan but when the money isn't pouring in, loyalty doesn't get you much. NJPW and AJPW refused to steal each others talent during the 90's and even refused to steal talent off of smaller and more vulnerable promotions.

Didn't Liger try to poach Hayabusa from FMW?

Loyalty is a big thing in Japan but when the money isn't pouring in, loyalty doesn't get you much. NJPW and AJPW refused to steal each others talent during the 90's and even refused to steal talent off of smaller and more vulnerable promotions.

Didn't Liger try to poach Hayabusa from FMW?

Don't know but in one of the old Observers, Dave talked about how NJPW and AJPW wouldn't steal talent from each other.

I thought the story went that Liger wanted to put the J-Crown on Hayabusa but Busa told the press he was no longer wrestling as a Junior, thus killing Liger's plan for the Tokyo Dome.

James

Watched some of the matches that Kevin posted from the New Japan 1/5 Korakuen Hall show and they weren't good.

Out of the bunch I watched the Minoru Suzuki match and it wasn't bad. Suzuki did a good job selling for Tanaka's young lion offense and Tanaka more than held his own in there on all ends.

Watched the Iizuka 8 man tag and it wasn't even as good as the Dome show despite having better pairings. Nakanishi has the softest big man offense in wrestling. His offense looks as brutal as getting hit with a big roll of cotton balls.

The Desperado Jr.'s match wasn't good. He throws the weakest superkick ever, but his finisher is pretty brutal.

Aside from the Naito/Ishii exchanges, the main event wasn't good. The upcoming Naito vs. Ishii match has a lot of potential of delivering if it goes on par with the exchanges between them in his match. Ishii was awesome as always, but Naito more than held his own in the brutal exchanges swinging some brutal faceslaps and taking some in exchange. I thought Naito was a face though, so why was he getting booed here? Is he not over or Ishii that popular at Korakuen Hall that he gets cheered? Seemed awkward.