DVDVR Message Board

The All Purpose Tokusatsu Talk!

J.H.

• 4 weeks later...

So apparently, back in the 90 there haf been 2 attempts in the 90s to localize Saint Seiya for the US in 2 very utterly American ways. First and insane live action version called Star Storm and then an actual completely American cartoon meant for Saturday morning titled Gaurdians of The Cosmos. Of course someone on youtube has not only unearthed these travesties but made 2 separate documentaries about them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jp4qrt2VGc&t=52s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EALBe_cxoDI&t=203s

James

Edited by J.H.

• 1 month later...

So hyped for Shin Kamen Rider tonight.  The nearest place to me that had tickets was 2 hours away, but I enjoyed the hell out of Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman, so I might as well finish off the trilogy in the theater.

For other Toku stuff, I'm falling behind on KingOhger (episode 6), but I love the chaos energy its bringing.  Also getting back on Kamen Rider as well by watching Saber. At some point I'll get up to date with UItraman too.

I really enjoyed Shin Kamen Rider. Its a lot like Shin Ultraman where it packs in a TV seasons worth of plot into a 2 hour movie, but I felt like it did a better job of it. There is some absolutely beautiful cinematography on display at times and the movie keeps the original shows love of Dutch angles and color gels intact.  Turns out there's a closer showing on Monday, so I'm going back to see it again.

Shin Kamen Rider was a mixed bag for me. I wanted to love it so much, especially after the opening sequence - but it consistently made some baffling decisions that drove me bonkers. Nearly everyone was a little to stone cold for me. By the time Hayato showed up I was like "this guy should've been in the movie the whole time."

But the highs of this movie were really high.

Me and my older son saw it together and we had a great time talking about it and all the weird choices. Some of them were obviously homage to the original series, which I greatly appreciated. They were a little lost on my son, who's Rider references are Kuuga and Zero-1, but he had a good time too. It's just one of those movies that even with its failings it still felt like an experience worth having. Even with my complaints I think I'll end up buying it when it hits disc.

There was a guy near us who said "I can't tell if people loved this or hated it." We chatted a little and he echoed the sentiment @GojiColin stated about it being better than Shin Ultraman.

• Like 1

I feel like the movie really wanted to put the viewer in Hongo's shoes.  Starting in-media-res, everyone else working with far more knowledge then Hongo and being distant to him.  Hongo was very meant to be a pawn for everyone, but his struggle with his newfound power and questioning his resolve brings out the humanity in everyone around him.  One of my co-workers said it best "it's like Hongo was a color character in a black and white world and slowly the color spread from him".

I'm curious to see if a second viewing will unlock anything more from it.

• 3 weeks later...