DVDVR Message Board

The All Purpose Tokusatsu Talk!

J.H.

Bikuu movie was pretty bad ass. You know you've watched too much shit from Japan when they bust out the weird incest sub plot and you're not even shocked. But yeah, great movie, hopefully there's a follow up of some sort as that's what the ending was kind of suggesting with them not tying up loose ends.

Since Retsuden features characters from the Gold Storm universe i'm guessing it'll be helpful to watch Gold Storm first so i'll do that afterall I guess. 

OK, how come no one told me there's a freakin Aja Kong guest spot in Gold Storm? NOW i'm sold

Anyways, watched the Gold Storm movie the other day and the intro hype episode. I can't recall if they did this in Yami or not but there were a lot of scenes where I did notice the cast (especially Rian) over acting in a really cheesy way but at the same time there's a whacky charm to it too. Besides that the movie was pretty good so i'm my hopes are a bit higher now for the main series than they were before. 

• 3 weeks later...

Half way through Gold Storm, def a big improvement over the last season with this cast. Only major complaint is the GARO armor itself feels like an after thought and there haven't been any big or memorable suit battles yet. 

Fourze definitely gave us the best looking secondary Rider (in base form at least). I loved the design of Amazons but haven't really liked a design for a main Rider since OOO. Every form OOO had was dope

James

Finished Gold Storm, it was getting pretty great near the end but the last stretch was a bit underwhelming. In the end it was a show greater than the sum of it's parts though. Not as good as most of the other GARO series but still enjoyable on it's own. 

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoy your GARO fansubs while you can, the original series has been licnesed for US Release by Section 23/Kraken. They plan on releasing the the follow-up series as well if sales on the original are strong. No word if it will the HD remaster or if they will leave out episode 6 like they did with the remaster.

This is WONDERFUL news!

James

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Uchu Sentai Kyuranger had an incredible 1st episode! Its probably the best st episode for sentai since Abaranger!

If you haven't watched it I recommend you do. Until then here's he opening!

James

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2017 at 7:19 AM, GojiColin said:

This reminded me that I am so behind on Toku shows, I'm still somewhere in the middle of Ninninger and haven't even started Kamen Rider Ghost yet.  I miss having free time.

So instead of complaining about being behind I actually watched some Ninninger, shocking right?  I'm up to episode 28 and I watched the first movie.  I was sad to see the Western Yokai were just monster of the day and not even a short term threat, especially since I thought Franken and Okami-Otoko had really great designs.  The Izayoi Ninja stuff looks like it might be interesting since it's teasing more backstory being revealed.

Also I remember why I sort of drifted away from the show:  The guy playing Takaharu is about as convincing at his character as Jack Swagger was trying to do an intense yell.

The thing is, there's just barely enough to keep me  engaged in the show and not riot.  Though whomever did the mech designs in the more recent shows needs to be stopped; the whole "Ultimate Form is a giant rolling brick" mentality has not produced one cool robot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am totally in love with Kyuranger so far. Its so much fun while stil having a really solid story.

And fuck if "Lucky Star" isn't just a damn cool opening song!

James

• 2 months later...

Well I finally found the time to finish Ninninger.  It picked up some steam near the end, but still it was just okay.  It just seems weird that they build up some friction amongst the baddies and then proceed to just drop it when it was final fight time.  ToQqer at least mined that potential for what it was worth; speaking team train, they definitely made the Vs. movie enjoyable and it was cool to see the Shadow Line characters one last time before those suits are no doubt cannibalized for something else.

So I figured I would ride the wave of momentum and dive into Zyuohger and it's definitely a different take on the animal motif; that's for sure.