DVDVR Message Board

The All Purpose Tokusatsu Talk!

J.H.

Ninninger is goofy fun. Kamen Rider Drive has points where its good and then will sudnely be dull for an episode or 2. I strongly recommend going through the TV-Nihon archives and start watching Kamen Rider AGITO. They are almost done subbing it so you can take your time. It is one of the better Rider shows without the blatant toy merch tie-ins

James

• 1 month later...

I LOVE Kamen Rider OOO. WIZARD starts very strong but falters in the middle, though the action scenes are always good and BEAST might be my 2nd fave secondary Rider (1st is METEOR because he was just a badass). GAIM is complex and has a feel of the earlier Heisei shows. My personal recommendations are AGITO and 555, as they have the deepest stories.

OOO has the coolest upgrades and forms imo, I just love the look of Tajador form and PtuoTyrannoSaur form

James

• 4 weeks later...

Fourze is amazing. So go for it.

Gurren Lagann has one of the most implausible female character outfits ever creating much cosplay that ends up on non-cosplay sites if you catch my meaning. It's good enough but I haven't gotten deep in yet and I'm told the back end is a significant improvement.

Fourze is a fun one, though it suffers from the curse of "We really don't have an end game for this" syndrome that most Heisei shows have. I mean shit I love Kabuto but there was just no plan for a finale. Only Kuuga, AGITO and GAIM have a story that arches for the length of the series and only 2 of them have definitive outcomes (I love AGITO a whole fuckload but its solution to everything is pretty much a stalemate)

James

Meteor is probably the coolest secondary Rider without a doubt, the only thing preventing him from being my favorite secondary is I hate the Meteor Storm upgrade and the fact that Masato Kusaka/KAIXA exists

James

• 3 weeks later...

Shout factory announced at SDCC that they are releasing the original version Gosei Sentai Dairanger in the States!

Generally considered the best Super Sentai by many fans, I for one couldn't be happier!

James

• 3 months later...

Sweet mother of God! Dekaranger 10 Years After is so much fun!

It has all the stuff you love about Deakranger that made that show one of the most beloved of all Super Sentai. I mean literally everything that made Dekaranger TV fun ctops up in this special. Irony Alert: The kid who played ASumu in Kamen Rider HIBIKI is in this as a new character named... ASUMU!

If you like Super Sentai or just like Dekaranger this thing does not disappoint!

James

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Kamen Rider AMAZONS episode 1 is so fuckin good... like this is what I've wanted from a Rider since GAIM ended. The hard part is waiting for the next episode to come out. It has the dark tone of KR THE FIRST but won't be cramped for time restrictions sine it is a series. Kamen Rider Amazon OMEGA is so badass...
James

• 2 weeks later...

GARO Makai Retsuden started. This is more a anthology series, focusing on supporting characters though all 3 incarnations of GARO (possibly 4) are supposed to appear. First episode is a solo Rekka story, so if you don't care for the brash second most powerful Makai Priestess then episode 1 is not for you

James.

• 4 weeks later...

This week's GARO Makai Retsuden brings back the kids from ZERO: Black Blood. They are definitely building towards something with Yuna becoming the firsst Makai Knight. There is alos a very special appearance this week and its was actually, really cool to see him!

Kamen Rider AMAZONZ continues to be the best Kamen Rider, if not best overall toku series being produced this year!

James

• 2 months later...

K, so after like a year + of not paying attention to the franchise i'm going to get back into GARO soon. 

Dissapointed to learn there isn't a direct sequal TV Series to Makai No Hana yet. Guess i'll start with the Bikuu movie then and then may or may not do Goldstorm next (will get to it eventually but...meh)

I think you'll dig Makai Retsuden a lot since itfocuses on many of the side characters. Makai No Hana is getting a movie next then possibly a second TV series plus another ZERO project

James

16 hours ago, J.H. said:

I think you'll dig Makai Retsuden a lot since itfocuses on many of the side characters. Makai No Hana is getting a movie next then possibly a second TV series plus another ZERO project

James

Yeah what's the deal with Retsuden? Is this just a show with random side stories or a full tied together season focusing on one of the universes?

Also, is the 2nd GARO anime any better than the 1st?

Makai Retsuden has no overarching story thought it does wrap up loose ends from previous shows and movies and also gives backstory on a few characters. The second anime was, marginally better

James

Wizard is probably my favorite of the newer stuff.  I love the suit designs and the power sets.  I also love that the belt sings.  It's probably my favorite belt transformation that it activates and gives you a fun little jingle before you transform.

Wizard had some excellent fight choreography I just didn't like the supporting cast that much. The last 5 episodes were really great though, especially since BEAST got to be the hero. I'm still nnoyed that the one episode had a guy turning into a Phantom at the end  but then the next episode they were on to a new phantom with no follow-up.

I've been consistently annoyed with Kamen Rider for the last 2 years to the point where I stopped watching DRIVE after the first 18 episodes and GHOST after the first 5. GAIM really was amazing in terms of story whereas the 2 shows that followed were just so kidified I couldn't stomach it.

AMAZONS is everything Kamen Rider should be from this point forward but instead we're getting EX-AID whose design looks like a My Little Pony vomited on an Akibaranger

James

• Like 1