DVDVR Message Board

The All Purpose Tokusatsu Talk!

J.H.

So what's been going on?

Jyuden Sentai Kyoryuger - Just introduced their 9th team member in KyoryuViolet. This show is going to end up havign more team members than Dekaranger at this rate. It was just leaked that the next one to be making an appearance is KyoryuSilver, who will bring the total to 10 (technically 11 if you count DeathRyuger from the upcoming movie). KyoryuViolet is played by Shigeru Chiba, who also provides the voice of the narrator in the opening credits.

Kamen Rider Wizard - The White Wizard is really

Koyomi's father

. The White Wizard may or may not also be Phantom leader Wiseman, which was first speculated by fan way back around episode 4. The show is winding down with 8 episodes left. The thing about Wizard is that the main Rider is really kind of... dull as  character. He jsut wants to save people with no real motivation beyond that. Kamen Rdier BEAST has been far more interesting, since he is a magic user against his will and needs to mana provided by defeated phantoms or else he'll die. Wizard doesn't even have FOURZE personality hook of wantign make friends with everyone or OOO hook of Eiji's desire to make sure he can save everyone, not realizing it is one negative trait that makes him susceptible to becoming a Greeed. Still after Wizard ends the rumor is no new Kamen Rider until October when Kamen Rider GAIMU will debut.

GARO: Yami Wa Terasu Mono - The more the actual story of this unfolds the better it gets. The Madou Horrors framed Ryuuga/GARO for murder and then GARO and his fellow Makai Knights exposed he Madou Horrors on a city wide newscast but not before GARO's and allies GAI The Sky Bow Knight and ZEN The Flame Sword Knight all get heir asses kicked by Sonshi, the head Madou Horror. After draggign for a few episodes almost everything since episode 8 has been moving the story forward. My only lament remains that all the Armor fights are CGI and it shows.

James

This is good news because a week ago they said they wouldn't. I guess enough people requested it.

Hopefully they also end up subbing the new Amemiya show and Sasurider.

James

Hard to say, It seems like they want to try and focus on a few core projects and not end up like Hikari-Senshi or TV-Nihon and just have abandoned/delayed projects all over the place.  I for one would welcome more Toku shows getting subs though,

As for the show itself, I rather enjoyed it.  I feel like they want sort of a Fourze vibe with the main cast being chummy school friends, but it's definitely a fun show.  Mini Ultraman Taro is comedy gold.

Yeah, TV Nihon is killing me with how slow they churn out AGITO and I've already watched the whole series, but I just really like the work thy do. Thank god for Grown-Ups In Spandex and their great job in subbing Kakuranger, which remains my all time favorite Super Sentai (though it is getting challenged by the depth of Dairanger and the sheer fun of Boukenger)

James

How far are you in Boukenger?  It's been an interesting show for me so far, It really gets better with each episode.  Also from what I've watched (so Kyoryuger to Boukenger) I think Chief is my favorite red.  He can be badass at one point and then be a total goofball at another and it works for him.

I only got to Bouken silver, who would be my favorite 6thrAnger ever if not for the fact he looks like a hood ornament in his henshined form. Still there isn't a character I don't like in Boukenger, with Bouken Red really standing out. I love the little things like him snapping his fingers after telling the team to deploy or telling them to attack. Poor BoukenBlue though has the most unfortunately named weapon in all of Sentai with the "Blow Knuckle"

James 

Episode 2 of Ultraman Ginga is out and was fun to watch; except for the one scene that possibly be giving me nightmares for a while.  I like that the show is seemingly going to limit it's CGI use so that when they do use it the effects look that much better.

GARO: Yami Wa Terasu Mono 16 reveals who the big bad is and it isn't terribly surprising. They raised an obvious Death Flag this week, so obvious I'm convinced its a swerve!

As far as Kamen Rider WIZARD goes, the big news this week is that Wizard becomes the first Heisei Rider since AGITO to get 51 episodes. Also, rumors are saying Wiseman/White Wizard is not the final bad guy, that we wil get a Black Mage as well. Im' hoping for Blue Mage just so we can make this a Final Fantasy themed Rider show.

James

• 2 weeks later...

The end shot of GARO: Yami Wa Terasu Mono episode 18 made my jaw drop. It was just an all out fight episode with some really "HOLY SHIT!" moments despite a lot of it looking like one 20 minute video game fight with all of the CGI. But that ending... sweet crap that ending shot! I think in the next few episodes we'll get the reveal of just exactly who Sonshi is (disgraced Makai Knight? Possibly the previous GARO?). With 2 Makai Knights severely injured it is going to be interesting to see how they finish this story.

As for the latest episode of Kyoryuger?

Thank God they have another girl on the team finally. It was a bit of a sausage-fest with 10 team members and just one female. It also helps that Yayoi is cute and her debut as Kyoryu violet was BADASS!

James

Ninpu Sentai Hurricanger 10 Years After was pretty fuckin fantastic!

So there was no big robot fight. It just made it a little more fun to have just a final showdown with the villain as opposed a robot fight to sell toys. Hurricanger was always fun/goofy (come to think of it so was Kakuranger). but the story wa a blast and the big fights at the end let everyone show off in extended parts. Just AWESOME!

James

• 2 weeks later...

With Kamen Rider WIZARD and Kamen Rider GAIM still a over a month away, the rumors about the WIZARD TV special are starting to swirl. The good news is GAIM will make his debut in it, the bad news is that we're getting the return of fucking Kamen Rider DECADE. Man do I hate DECADE, possibly the worst Rider ever.

I other news, Kyoryuger is getting a whole new opening sequence to feature all 10 team members (keeping the "VAMOLA Kyoryuger!" Theme song). There is still one more member left to reveal, which also means one more ridiculously large ass mecha!

James

So Ultraman Ginga's on it's month long break, but the last two episodes gave me some hope for the show.  In hindsight it's clear that they were scrounging budget from eps 3 and 4 so that JeanKiller would get as much as SFX budget as possible.  I'd totally recommend checking out Over-Times subs of those episodes, it's some fun stuff.

Still behind on Wizard eps, but happy that the plot is on a roll now.  No real earth-shaking twists here (guess they used that on Gremlin's backstory), but I like that it seems were in store for a 3 way showdown over the philosopher's stone.  I hadn't heard about the Wizard TV special news, but I'll reserve judgement until I see how it all plays out.  I liked Tsukasa as a super-smug Kamen Rider, so having him be in a stand-alone story would be fine; but not if it's the finale of Wizard's Plot.

I watched TV-N's sub of the Gaimu preview and am all-in on it.  Fruit Riders that breakdance and somehow it all has to do with Sengoku era stuff?  Where do I sign up?

Part of me keeps hoping the Otakon Kyoryuger dance video actually makes it into the show since it was sent in.  Part of me hopes it doesn't.

Kyoryuger is a fun show.  The dinosaur theme, the transformation device, the Deboss leaders and most of the cast are pretty fun.  I'm curious about the upcoming movie since it's supposedly a musical.  The show itself has it's ups and downs. especially when it does a character focus episode.  The action is very much in the style of the director, there's wire-work and a tad more creativity in the combat then other shows.

Assuming you're not watching it's worth a watch.

• Like 1

We are down to what I'm sure are the last 4 episodes of GARO: Yami Wa Terasu Mono and though the show has decided to ignore some parts of the mythology (like the time limit on the armors) the show has been overall fun. A death flag was raised 3 episodes back so its time for that to be cashed in. Hopefully we'll get the restoration of the Golden Knight at the end of the series and I get a gut feeling that a special will be made to explain why the Garo armor lost its golden shine. I'm also hoping we get to see sonshi's pre-Madou Horror Makai Knight form somehow. I'm still not a fan of sacrificing suit actors for pure CGI but I understand why it was done. Amemiya said all he had to say with GARO and  Makoto Yokoyama found a way to keep the idea of the series frsh by giving us a new cast and solid story.... now we just need to see how Yokoyama ends the damn thing!

James

So Toei is launching their own US Internet channel featuring all of ouyr Toku favorites. This is HUGE news, as Toei said the plan is to start subbign the series a years after launch. The fansub community reaction to this should interesting!

http://www.jefusion.com/2013/09/toei-japan-channel-to-bring-kamen-rider.-super-sentai-to-us.html

James

Kamen Rider WIZARD  Episode 50 - Are you shitting me? I mean I realize that what happens will probably be fixed after the end of episode 51 but DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN! These last 10-15 episodes have been pretty damn great as the story really picked it up, what with revelation of who the White Wizard was and his ties to Koyomi. They made Kamen Rider BEAST the epic goddamn hero the last few episodes (espcially with the climax of the Sabbat) and of course there is Gremlin, who has been the creepiest Rider villain since Kitazaki in 555. This show started strong, got week i nthe 20s but then kicked it in to high gear around episode 30 and just never stopped. Is it one of the better Riders of the Heisei era? Eh, its good but it's no AGITO, KUGA or 555. Still really good though

James