DVDVR Message Board

The All Purpose Tokusatsu Talk!

J.H.

GARO: The Tougen Flute - This might be the best GARO side project since Beast of The White Night. Hot damn was this fun! Everyone gets referenced in one way oranother (except for Thunder BARON for some reason, which is a shame because Kenji Matsuda is the fucking man!). They also totally dicktease the fanbase at the end by talking up some Makai Knight tournament where the finals seem to be Rei and Tsubasa!

James

Kamen Rider WIZARD  Episode 50 - Are you shitting me? I mean I realize that what happens will probably be fixed after the end of episode 51 but DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN! These last 10-15 episodes have been pretty damn great as the story really picked it up, what with revelation of who the White Wizard was and his ties to Koyomi. They made Kamen Rider BEAST the epic goddamn hero the last few episodes (espcially with the climax of the Sabbat) and of course there is Gremlin, who has been the creepiest Rider villain since Kitazaki in 555. This show started strong, got week i nthe 20s but then kicked it in to high gear around episode 30 and just never stopped. Is it one of the better Riders of the Heisei era? Eh, its good but it's no AGITO, KUGA or 555. Still really good though

James

It's nice to see that someone else is actually enjoying Wizard as well.  It seems like anyone I talk to (and this was especially the case at Otakon) about Wizard thinks it's pretty bad.  Hopefully this weekend I'll get caught up on the last three episodes.

Its nothat Wizard is bad, its that it kind of drug in the middle a bit. I was really hoping that they'd bring Phoenix back somehow, Once the story shifted focus to Koyomi things started getting better. It also suffers from BEAST being a bit more interesting a character than WIZARD. I was afraid that Nitou was going to end up dead by the end of the series, simply based upon his parasitic relationship with Chimera. Glad that didn't happen. Gremlin's backstory was the darkest thing we've seen in a KR villain... shit I want to say KUGA! It really made you feel like Gremlin was more of a threat than Wiseman.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Well let's see, GAIM starts next week as does the Amemiya show that fils the void left by the current GARO story ending. Also, Toei announced the release of Kamen Rider FAIZ on Blu-Ray. To celebrate they got the cast ack together for a photo op. Man Yuria Haga just gets more and more gorgeous every year! I barely recognize Kento Handa (Takumi's actor) while the rest I can pretty much id on sight. I've been re-watching FAIZ and I think that Yuka/Swan Orphnoch might the most tragically beautiful mass murder in all Toku

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

GARO: Soukoku No Maryuu is like Amemiya's ode to the last 10 years of Tim Burton movies and in the process ends up being more entertaining than many of them. It was pretty much designed to be the final GARO story featuring Kouga as the Golden Knight and while I wish it was a little more epic and had more than just Kouga in armor, it puts a bow on everything. I mean everyone except Jabi, Rekka and Wataru/BARON appear (Jabi and Rekka's movie takes place while this movie is going on). The pre-credits ending is really that "yeah, that's how it needed to end" (not counting the post credits ending which is just the final scene from Makai Senki). The movie is weird and trippy but still somehow very GARO.

Kamen Rider GAIM - Kinda goofy, but in a good way. This is supposed to be throback to earlier Heisei era shows like Kuuga and AGITO but I don't see how...

James

Shougeki Gourairan - Amemiya's new show is a break from the dark GARO franchise and a bit more light hearted. The first episode gives us a spaceship that looks like the Arcadia and The Yamato had a bastard child. Good action, looks like this might be fun

• 1 month later...

We've been all kinda quiet in the anime and Toku threads. In toku land Kyoryuger is rolling ot its climax and GAIM is just getting intersting. There's Gouraigan, which has been... weird. Well now there is actual Toku news because... NEW GARO~!

This will focus on the son the son of Kouga (as opposed to being a sequel to GARO Yami wo Terasu Mono). I'm already looking forward to this!

James

• 1 month later...

and of course for those of you that haven't head yet, the 2014 Super Sentai is... RESSHA SENTAI TOKKYUGER

ph01.jpg

A lot of sentai fans are already saying the costumes are too simple and lack detail but I think making it simple will allow later Super Forms to make them look snazzier (at least I think). I personally would have loved if they had made them look more like train conductors a bit since the theme mecha are all trains.

In other news... New GARO TV series in the spring (following Kouga and Karoru son) and the ZERO video series plus a new GARO movie "The One Who Shin In The Darkness" cast.

Also... Kamen Rider GAIM has been ridiculously fun! Next week the Energy Riders get introduced, including the suits for Cherry, Peach and Lemon arms!

I love how over the top insane Kamen Rdier BRAVO is on this show!

James

• 2 weeks later...

I am actually kinda stoked for Heisei V. Showa

We already got Ichigo and the original Faiz in it. I'm hoping for the impossible and we somehow get Takeru Satoh in there and the original Kuuga (neither have a remote chance of happening)

James

• 3 weeks later...

My jaw has hit the floor so many times... Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger Episode 47 is just so... for damn... AWESOME~!

It isn't even the last episode but it definitely felt like it. I can't wait for the Director's Cut of this episode 48!

James

... and so ends Jyuden Sentai Kyoryuger. Of the last 5 Super Sentai shows it is probably second best (it takes a lot to top Samurai Sentai Shinkenger). It just might be 2nd best of the last 10 years as well (though I can make arguments for both Abaranger and Boukenger). We didn't get a staple of the last 10 years for the final episode, which is the helmetless roll call but they kind of sis that in episode 47 (though not exactly).

All right enough, I LOVED Kyoryuger!

Here is the FINALE (RAW)

James

• 1 month later...

Your best bets are Kamen Riders KUUGA, AGITO, FAIZ, OOO and the surprisingly dark GAIM. For Super Sentai: Samurai Sentai Shinkenger is amazingly dark and complex for a childrens toy commercial and Bouklenger is just plain fun. I liked Kyoryuger a lot but I seem to be in the minority. I cannot recommend the GARO series enough anbd ditto for Sh15ya

If you want to start off with just one though... I'd say AGITO for Kamen Rider and Shinkenger for Super Sentai (finding a really good sub of Dairanger is nigh impossible or else I'd recommend that). If you want darkness in tone and a bit adult themed then just sit down and watch GARO... all of it!

James

ZERO: Black Blood has been pretty good so far, what with the main villain being a horror trying to build a commune of Horrors and humans  and preaches peace between the 2. We've got a Makai Priestess wielding a Makai Ken, a drunken fancy boy of a Makai Priest and ZERO who just plain hates Horrors. Its only 6 episodes long (last 2 episodes will air this week in Japan) so the story ha developed quickly and is building ot a big showdown already. Hopefully the last 2 episodes start and end on a climax!

James

Let us know how you like it. It is just something that with every installment builds a deeper mythology

James

Watched the 1st 3 episodes & for the most part i'm liking it a lot

Pros

- I like most of the characters

- The monsters look pretty bad ass

- A lot of the fights are cool

- The overall art style

- The CG at times is hilariously cheesey & cheap looking

Con

- I'm allready hoping it's not too much longer before they move on past the "monster of the week" phase and we get some sort of main overarching plot or backstory

- The hero is a lot cooler before he turns into the the golden tiger & a lot of the time it seems like he could win without even bothering to transform.

- The golden tiger itself seems off somehow....  

- The CG at times is hilariously cheesey & cheap looking

The story kicks into high gear around episode 7, as for the "Golden Tiger"... well its a wolf but that's a minor point. As for the CG looking kinda cheesy, take into a ccount it was  show with  limited budget shown after hours. Also the first series is 10 years old.

It will be explained later why he needs both the armor and the Makai Ken to defeat Horrors, especially after they evolve to their second form. As for the art style, that is the influence of series creator Keita Amemiya. He is best known for working on Choujin Sentai Jetman and directing the 2 Zeiram movies and the vastly underrated Moon Over Tao

James