DVDVR Message Board

WCW C-SHOWS MEMORIES

RIPPA

Jerry Lynn coming out to Jerry Flynn’s future music. I wish Brad would have gtfo of WCW. I don’t know how rich he would have gotten or how many belts he would have won but as far as having good matches, just as Jerry Lynn what leaving and just trying something else would have amounted to.

well, the one time Brad Armstrong left WCW, he went to a fed that went out of business within months.. so...

Meanwhile things that happen when Bill Watts inherits a booking on Lyger:

this is a tremendous matchup from the POV of hair though

Edited by Cobra Commander

19 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

well, the one time Brad Armstrong left WCW, he went to a fed that went out of business within months.. so...

Meanwhile things that happen when Bill Watts inherits a booking on Lyger:

this is a tremendous matchup from the POV of hair though

Good grief I thought you meant Jimmy was going to beat Liger. Brad left to late. Imagine Brad vs Tracey for 20 minutes on SMW TV for the TV title hot dang. 

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Wow that was solid. About as good as 5 minutes gets. Good commentary to. Gordon Solie, the Super J Cup, the cruiserweight tournament and if I’m not mistaken a reference to some wrestler who suddenly disappeared named Keiichi Yamada. 

Or was that crimson mask thing a reference to another time?

But they were talking about the time Liger was unmasked, but you didn’t see his face because of the crimson mask. I’m not the Super Junior historian so I don’t know where that happened. It couldn’t have been in WCW. That’s something way to advanced for them to think of let alone execute correctly had they thought of it.

Edited by BloodyChamp

I didn’t notice that that was actually from WCW Prime! That show was actually full of historical references. Like so many that Jim Ross would have been mad lol! I actually remember Dusty Rhodes going on tangent about The Assassin who he connected dots back to during some shill, among other examples.

It looks like they made the set right there after every Nitro or Thunder when the announcers sat. Were those credits with the inside joke just a 1 time thing for the last show? I think Worldwide came on at like 6AM Saturdays since about 1997. I didn’t get to watch any since then but Worldwide was my jam for a long time. 

for me, Worldwide aired at 12 midnight Saturday nights during that '96-'98 time period. i remember many nights falling asleep on the couch to the dulcet tones of jobbers being squashed.

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 1

There was nothing better than shitty old wrestling of any kind. If there was 1 thing better than shitty old wrestling of any kind it was good old wrestling of any kind. Really been missing it all lately. Being stuck here in the rain is part of it but it’s always been a tad more dramatic for me as the NWA/WCW rose and fell right in line with me coming of age, all the way down to that last Nitro ending the March after I’d graduated.

Edited by BloodyChamp

Worldwide came on at noon on Saturdays for the longest here. I have memories of watching cartoons all morning, then Worldwide then playing video games after since it was the video car lot show came on at 1.

Then by the end it got moved to midnight or 1AM and I stopped watching.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Worldwide came on at noon on Saturdays for the longest here. I have memories of watching cartoons all morning, then Worldwide then playing video games after since it was the video car lot show came on at 1.

Then by the end it got moved to midnight or 1AM and I stopped watching.

That was fun stuff right there - watching cartoons all morning then ramping it up at 12 or 1 for warfare! It was Florida State football for me on Saturdays. 

Then on Sundays it was 3 or 4 hours of rasslin on Sunday afternoons on Fox. We had a giant antenna that you had to manually turn like the Tea Cup ride at the fair and I’d turn it until my sister said the TV was less grainy that it was. I didn’t watch wrestling on Sunday through a clear TV until Worldwide popped back up on NBC at 7PM on Saturdays in 1994. On Saturdays though it was Worldwide, the Pro, and 2 regional shows that I clearly remember. Over the years there might have been more for all I know. I think 1 of the regional shows was Mid-Atlantic Wrestling and the other was 1 that I’ve posted looking for info on many times. NWF wrestling seems to be it but I don’t know for sure. Then NWA or WCW wrestling came on Sunday nights on CBS every now and then. I’m guessing it was preempted by football usually.

In the Bay Area I seem to remember Worldwide being on either KBHK TV44 or KICU Channel 36. It would show around 9-10 pm on a Saturday. 

WWF Superstars was on KTVU channel 2 on Saturday mornings at 10 am. It bridged the Saturday morning cartoons to Soul Train.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

when I started watching, Worldwide was on at 2pm and Shotgun Saturday Night was on at 3pm.

The same channel?

Metal or Jakked I don’t know what they called it in my area was on at Midnight on Saturday’s I didn’t watch it. Velocity was my jam though and pre brand split MTV Heat was some good shit too.

yeah, same channel... since I wasn't really watching weekend syndicated shows in 2001, I checked a newspaper TV guide and it had the following Wrestling on TV on Saturday March 10th, 2001

Worldwide at 2, WWF Metal at 3, Battle Dome at 4. Also at WWF Jakked at 11pm and something described only as "Wrestling" at midnight.

Looking at newspapers some more, here's the wrestling listed on TV for a Saturday in August 1987

"NWA Southern Pro Wrestling" at 8am. The UWF at 9am. Wild West Wrestling at 10am. World Class at 11am. Superstars was on at Midnight after SNL on the NBC Affiliate.

Then in September 1987, the 8am slot was filled by "Championship Wrestling" (not to be confused with Wrestling Challenge on at 10pm on Friday nights)

By May 1988, the lineup on the channel airing all the Saturday morning wrestling was: Pro Wrestling This Week at 7:30, TWN Main Event at 8, GLOW at 9, World Wide at 10, World Class at 11.

KC Wrestling seems like it was slightly unusual since the local wrestling show (All Star Wrestling) aired on Sunday mornings instead of Saturdays.