DVDVR Message Board

WCW C-SHOWS MEMORIES

RIPPA

I thought the first two times were Malia Hosaka randomly jobbing to Meiko Satomura. Or are we up to 5 Malia Hosaka matches in this thread?

Then again, I didn't realize until the Starla match that Malia Hosaka isn't from Japan (she's Japanese-American from Hawaii though).

Wrestling's pipeline of Hawaiians pretending to be from Japan/etc has dried up. Maybe having a Hawaiian indy fed is a giant pain in the ass since you'd have to probably buy the plane tickets for the non-Hawaiians working on a card. Or the state also regulates the stuff too much too? 

Foley is incredibly thin here, without the hair and outfit you wouldn't think it's the same person. Pillman with the worlds highest dropkick was great. He almost ends his career seven years early on the Cactus clothesline which leads to some good psychology from Foley in working the neck.

What I really enjoyed about this match was Funk putting over Cactus and Pillman's chops were out of this world awesome.

• Like 1

I am saddened by the lack of Rick Fuller matches on the YouTubes.

I will say this - Fuller got a lot of run on Thunder. More than most of the other man enhancement talent.

Been going down a Nasty Boys wormhole on Youtube lately and came across this Dusty promo building up War Games on a random Worldwide.  It's soooo good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQlO6Dq2J_I

That Jesse haircut was designed to complement formal wear.

And of all things to get hooked on, the Nasty Boys?

Great interview, regardless. The "YOUNG MEIYUN" promo...I felt like handing him my money after hearing it.

Edit: there were some great promos building up that match...

http://youtu.be/MbIua3B-JDE

I admit they've got a bad reputation, they're the Nasty Boys.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6osmf_2-cold-scorpio-marcus-bagwell-vs-na_sport

WCW experiments with mics in the ring for this one.  There's also a WCW Saturday Night from 1994 where they claim it's the first ever interactive wrestling show.  Fans could call into the WCW Hotline to vote on what match they wanted to see.

• Like 1

1. I don't have a good laptop so I can't upload it but does anyone remember a Liger vs. Brad Armstrong match that saw Brad win with the Russian Leg Sweep? It was on the same card as the Malenko vs. Ohtani WCW Cruiserweight title match.

2. Damn I loved WCW Worldwide's music man. The reason why I was so attached to this show is because I woke up here in DC and watched Pro at 9. I went to Kung-fu class and came back home around 12 and Worldwide was on. I loved that Saturday Morning routine. Back when life was sweet and easy man.

3. Watching this Dustin Rhodes vs. Nasty Ned match, it is wild that Dustin is moving around the ring at the same (as Dream would say) Velocity that Goldust moves today. Says a lot about that dude's work today

Does he use that epic finisher of his, the fall over the top rope moonsault from the apron.

Yep and the Dead End Drop. 

It shows how loaded WCW's roster was, because I think a guy that big would have gotten a token push five years earlier. 

FWIW, Wikipedia says Roadblock was #199 on the PWI 500 in 1991.  No idea if that's true, and I'm not planning to look it up, but, if it is true, wow.  That's... really random.  I know PWi mostly fills the list by either picking names out of a hat or throwing darts at names pasted to the dartboard, but still,

I don't recall Roadblock even having a finisher and that fall over the ropes backwards splash moonsault is unusual enough that I should remember it.