DVDVR Message Board

WCW C-SHOWS MEMORIES

RIPPA

This doesn't exactly fit here, but what the hell? I was watching Bash at the Beach 96, and I have to give Tony Schiavone credit for having to reel in Bobby Heenan and Dusty Rhodes among others from that time. I have a newfound respect for him. However, Heenan just didn't give a fuck and it led to this following exchange during Flair/Konnan for the U.S. title:

Tony: I believe Konnan is going for the Tequila Sunrise (?)...

Bobby: *cutting Tony off* That sounds like a John Wayne movie. Hmmm....bad John Wayne movies.

Tony: *realizing that they have a TV deal with a network that endlessly replays John Wayne films* Bobby...is there anyone you won't bury?

Bobby: *nonchalantly*....Naw.

• Haha 4

I think this is the match Jericho speaks about in his book about how had a dark match after Nitro with Dean knocked it out the park live but at his first tv taping he shit the bed and it took him a while until he had a match with gambler and showed he was competent and could work.

Also CIMA yes CIMA had a cup of coffee in WCW. Ultimo Dragon got a bunch of his Toryumon students WCW gigs in like 97/98. They were all over Thunder. 

And this isn't a C Shows but CIMA and Magnum Tokyo tag up against Public Enemy

For sheer breadth, size, talent, star power, and "what the hell, really?" WCW's late 90's roster is the best ever assembled. They had everything you could possibly dream of in a talent roster, and then another 25 guys to crazy to dream of being there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 10:25 PM, Brian Fowler said:

For sheer breadth, size, talent, star power, and "what the hell, really?" WCW's late 90's roster is the best ever assembled. They had everything you could possibly dream of in a talent roster, and then another 25 guys to crazy to dream of being there.

Adam Pearce almost signed with WCW around that time, twice!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Best wrestling game ever IMO. I know it’s been topped but so has Black Sabbath.

LMAO what a terrible way to get your point across 

Edited by MORELOCK

Mostly just lots of roundhouse kicks and running away. At least he had grapples in World Tour. I think.

Edited by Ryan

• 7 months later...

Nice ^. Scott pulled off the overhead belly to belly on Big Maxx. On commentary they mentioned the special Tuesday Nitro. Those were good but those hour long Nitros that came on twice those few Mondays, with both hours being separate episodes, might qualify as C TV lol ugh. Same for the Wednesday Thunders.

• 3 months later...
On 6/3/2019 at 3:47 PM, Cobra Commander said:

If Arn Anderson had to do it over again, he would have given his spot to The Gambler instead of Curt Hennig

It would have worked. The Gambler was a solid meat and potatoes wrestler who also looked like a history teacher. He was basically a young Arn Anderson (I said young Arn Anderson...not established GOAT interview and GOAT heel Arn Anderson). Also what a cool set on that particular show.

Edited by BloodyChamp