DVDVR Message Board

WCW C-SHOWS MEMORIES

RIPPA

I dug out a couple of videos I knew I had of Worldwide, loads of good squash stuff obviously. I'll finish watching them tomorrow. Just now I'm bummed out that I was watching a slick 6 man match with Rude, Arn and Eaton against the Steiners and Sting. They all get to do a little of their own thing, then Scott gets worked over for a while, gets the hot tag to Sting, everyone hits the ring then a sudden cut to Schiavone howling MASAHIRO CHONO! as another episode starts. Fuck.

I did get Sting vs Nasty Ned though, Williams and Gordy, loads of Ice Train and a pretty much unwatchable episode(in terms of video quality) that I sat all the way through because the commentary team was Solie and Regal - it really was a thing of beauty. Video quality cleared well enough for a Scorpio vs Austin main event. Which I loved.

That fucking six man tag though, it's not online as far as I can see.

All of you feel free to start kissing my ass and calling my the best poster ever at any time. Go on, I'm waiting.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbmp29_dean-malenko-vs-norman-smiley_sport

Best poster ever! 

Or at least the best poster to feature my pick for my favourite Orlando Worldwide tapings match.

Was there any environment at the time where a match like this could go on, and have it been given decent time for a 1-hr show, without BO-RING chants?

So it turned out I had (most of) 4 episodes of Worldwide on VHS - First episode is awful quality for most of it's duration, anyway -

After a quick Mean Gene intro I find that the commentary team is Gordon Solie and Steve Regal, sweet. First match is Sting vs Mike DiBacco, a rough biker looking guy who gets squashed quickly. Next is Jesse Ventura's arm wrestling tournament - Austin vs Ice Train, who the crowd loves. Col. Parker says "this is some kinda mismatch, you gonna let Train use both arms?" giving Train a chance to talk about his 28" anaconda's a bit- the crowd laps it up, and he wins.

Video quality is still getting worse as Steamboat takes on Tony Zane. Regal comes out with something like "Steamboat doesn't use chemicals with the fire breathing you know, it's just his breath". It's a quick one. Next is Dustin Rhodes vs Butch Long - who looks like Charlie Chaplin in the face both Solie and Regal agree. They both really put Dustin over here.

After the next match (Vader crushing some guy called Bert Styles) I decide to skip ahead a little and come back to the start of Austin vs Scorpio which I mentioned before, it's on youtube but with different commentary, which is a shame because it's ace, they put over the guys in the match and talk about Tony Charles, who Regal says retired to Pensacola and had dinner with him and Adrian Street recently - "a very enchanting evening was had by all". Solie and Regal are magic together, so laid back. They talk up everyone and clearly get along well. At one point when Austin is using the ropes for leverage their exchange goes -

GS: You didn't see it?

SR: No, I was looking at the Colonel's rather wonderful hat, I believe that's a ten gallon hat, isn't it?

GS: That one looks like it could be eleven and a half gallons.

SR: (pause) Oh, how humourous.

That's a fair amount about just one episode, does anyone know if Solie and Regal did any more episodes together? This is the only one of these four that does.

• Like 1

WCW was trustworthy at poking the heel/nWo fans pretty hard too

And here's a match between He Who Must Not Be Named and Eddy Guerrero. Or you can fast-forward to 12:30 to see Dean Malenko demonstrate the Texas Cloverleaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGbqiMzwoM4

No idea how many Malenko vignettes they did. Have any WWE guys used the Texas Cloverleaf recently?

I really enjoyed this. I think Savage and Eaton wrestled at least once in Memphis, right? 

This had the feel of an old Memphis studio match. Lot more actual wrestling here. It felt more like a struggle than these things usually do. 

Well

Later in 1978, more new talent would be in the [Nick Gulas] area [in Tennessee]. The "Macho Man" Randy Savage returned in the fall (he had appeared for a few weeks early in the year). Eaton battled him over several weeks with Savage retaining the Mid-America title

So that could explain a bit

coincidentally your free arm is windmilling like Young Satomura running into the corner

WCW had such a ridiculous amount of random connections. "We can bring in guys from New Japan, AAA, or random wrestlers from GAEA to fill out our shows if we need to supplement our roster of 300 wrestlers!"

So here's some Roadblock v. some guy