DVDVR Message Board

WCW C-SHOWS MEMORIES

RIPPA

Youtube gods be praised.  Kevin Sullivan and Buzz Sawyer's public execution of Robbie Idol and Zan Panzer is still online!

Dear Lord, Sullivan's psychotic promo at the end. WCW's script censors were ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL, DADDY~!

IT'S NOT THE DOGS FAULT~!

• Like 4

Youtube gods be praised.  Kevin Sullivan and Buzz Sawyer's public execution of Robbie Idol and Zan Panzer is still online!

Dear Lord, Sullivan's psychotic promo at the end. WCW's script censors were ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL, DADDY~!

FUCK. YES.

Everything about that is the best: Cactus standing there looking confused, Cornette shilling house shows, Sullivan's slaps, the final look on Mad Dog's face as they go to commercial. Truly inspired insanity.

• Like 1

God Bless you random Youtube poster

You know when you first saw Lorenzo, you were thinking, "Man, I hope he's working Vader or someone who will murder him.." 

And then Fit Finlay shows up and you're all, "FUCK YEAH~! KILL HIM, DAVE~!"

• Like 3

Y'all are sleeping on Zan Panzer being from "the continent of Europe"

Zamfir Panflute is MULTICULTURAL~!

What is a WCW B-Show thread without a Sid Vicious squash match?  Grainy though the video quality may be, this one is my favorite.

Poor, poor Lee Scott.

I have never been able to find the debut of the Skyscrapers on WCW Saturday Night where they won by KO / Referee Stoppage.

The Great Muta works Ranger Ross and gives the man more offense than he deserves.  Watch for the COMPLETE WHIFF~! on the High Crossbody that Muta still lays down for.

Ah, the Great Muta.  An angle so embeded in kayfabe that they had an article in PWI covering an interview that Bill Apter had with The Great Kabuki about how Kabuki regretted selling his son into indentured servitude due to his financial debt to Gary Hart. 

They don't do shit like that anymore.

Back in the day, you could see Kenji Mutoh wrestle in Roanoke.  FUCKING ROANOKE~! It was a better time.

• Like 1

Wyatt broke something.  His wrist or something in his hand?  So that's probably not completely decorative.

Can't find Finlay vs. Lizmark, Jr. from Saturday Night on the interwebs.  Lizmark pops and locks in front of Finlay so Finlay kicks him or clotheslines him really hard and then throws him outside and beats his ass outside the ring in front of these fans that are going crazy for it.  I remember Shark Boy being really over with the same fans on the same show or at least the same taping.

FUCK. YES.

Everything about that is the best: Cactus standing there looking confused, Cornette shilling house shows, Sullivan's slaps, the final look on Mad Dog's face as they go to commercial. Truly inspired insanity.

That was awesome. My favorite part was all the jobbers coming out to pull Buzz Sawyer off Robbie Idol and they lift both of them up cuz Buzz won't break the hold.

I had such high hopes for Sullivan's Slaughterhouse when they came up with that stable. Sullivan, Cactus Jack (who I first watched on World Class/USWA), Buzz Sawyer and Abdullah The Butcher. How fucking great would they have been together for a year. As a kid though, I figured it was too good to last in WCW.

WCW were too big of wusses to even let them put dirt on their smocks. Of course they were gonna ruin the Slaughterhouse.

Sullivan really had some kooky ideas. The Purple Haze, Superstar Graham in the desert, slapping around Woman (or was it Luna?), "it's not hot", carving Kanemura like a Thanksgiving turkey. Even if some of it was crap a lot of it was pretty fun and totally nuts. 

People were afraid to work with Buzz Sawyer going back to the GCW days because he was reckless and shoot crazy.  No way he would've lasted in the corporate TBS environment.

I actually thought both him and Bo wear them as tribute to Barry Windham.

I'm pretty sure Bo's glove is a tribute to Blackjack Mulligan.  I think they both wear the cowboy-style boots as a tribute to Barry Windham.

Nobody wants to pay any tribute to their father cause he's a no-good revenuer.

• Like 1

Wasn't Buzz all fucked up on drugs too? I remember a few people saying they hated him.

In his book, Foley talks about how Buzz Sawyer took $1000 from Undertaker to train him, basically showed him how to lock-up and start a match and then just skipped town without showing him anything else. I believe that story has been repeated in a few shoot interviews too. Bret also mentioned how Buzz was a prick to him back when he (Bret) was a jobbing in the South.

I'm too stupid to know how to embed video, so I'll link to the first of my favorite series of Worldwide matches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlQFDw5vA2k

When I was a kid in the '90s, I got to stay up late on Saturday nights and watch American Gladiators and WCW Worldwide (which showed back to back on the channel that syndicated them) since I got good grades. In a house with lots of people, I would be the only one up. It was kind of my time to be awake and enjoy myself. Anyway, I saw a ton of stuff that I vividly remember and love.

However, to start, I would have to say that my absolute favorite is Regal/Flair in the Marquis of Queensbury Rules matches. This was the first time that I had ever seen a version of the British rounds system. I still probably irrationally love these matches for more than they are because they were my first foray into that style of wrestling, and I loved it so much.

I ended up tracking these matches down again in 2006 or 2007 on YouTube, and while I knew of World of Sport and UK wrestling, I had never even scratched the surface on them. Anyway, these videos led me to videos of Marty Jones and Jim Breaks and all those guys who are totally awesome. So WCW Worldwide was an intro to WoS for me, which I think at least partially explains why Worldwide was so awesome. 

• Like 1

I thought it was Don Jardine/The Spoiler who fucked over Taker? Or was he the one who actually trained him? Also, Buzz got Bret's spot in Mid-South because Watts forgot to watch his tryout match and everyone knows Hart knows how to hold a grudge. 

I've been wanting to watch the Marquis of Queensbury matches forever, thanx for posting those.

Jardine trained Undertaker.  The Spoiler used to do the rope walk spot.

Watts and Ole Anderson are the only two guys that I've ever heard actually like Buzz Sawyer.  And that dude was most definitely on some drugs.  Guys talk about him sitting in the lockerroom staring through people and he'd just start babbling and drooling on himself.