DVDVR Message Board

WCW C-SHOWS MEMORIES

RIPPA

I remember magazines hyping Devon Storm as being one of the next big players. Here he is with Men at Work era Kanyon (featuring him almost eating shit on a moonsault). He also had a match with Sabu on Worldwide in Sabu's brief WCW outing but I can't find that anywhere.

Devon Storm later became Crowbar, yes? He used to paint a six pack on his beer belly with fake tan. It looked funny.

• 2 weeks later...

Good job on the Liger match find.

IIRC Devon Storm was 1 of those guys who was in WCW the whole time just like Vampiro, Nailz, etc. I want to say he was the first guy I ever saw do a setup-a-chair then run and jump onto it then do an aerial move move...and it was in an early WCW match.

He had a WCWSN main even match against Benoit that the announcers hyped all show long with smark remarks. It doesn’t belong in this list though. It was the 1 time I thought Benoit was in a ring not giving a s***.

• 1 month later...

Youtubed Luther Reigns run in WCW, when he went by Horshu on account of his haircut and it is really random. It's idk if fascinating is the right word but it's interesting to me that guy had a cup of coffee in WCW as a lower card guy on the C shows. He's green and not very good but he does have that look every promoter thought they could make a million dollars with. It's mostly Horshu vs other WCW rand-o's (Joey Maggs, Jim Powers and Eddie Jackie) but there's also some surprises in matches with Hector Guerrero and Marty Janetty, and of course the obligatory Giant squash.  The marty Janetty match for my money is the best of the 6.

So crazy to me he was one of those guys with like 5 matches under their belt WCW signs cuz they have “the look” immediately put them on syndicated television then almost as quickly gets lost in the shuffle. 

Then out of nowhere 6 years later he shows up on WWE TV as Kurt Angles bodyguard. 

That could have easily been Batista had he signed with the Power Plant in 98.

Look at the list of names that come out of the Power Plant. It's not overly impressive in the end. Plenty of these people were trained before the damn Power Plant too.

Male graduates
Bryant Anderson
C. W. Anderson
Shark Boy
Sick Boy
Chad Brock
Johnny The Bull
Keith Cole
Kent Cole
The Demon
Diamond Dallas Page
David Flair
The Giant (Big Show)
Goldberg[6]

Giant Gonzales
Hardbody Harrison
Shane Helms (Hurricane)
Horshu
Mark Jindrak
Chris Kanyon
Lash LeRoux
Lodi
Steve McMichael
Ernest Miller[7]
Shannon Moore
Kevin Nash[8]
Sean O'Haire
Chuck Palumbo
The Renegade
Reno
Kid Romeo
Mike Sanders[2]
Bob Sapp
Sonny Siaki[9]
Elix Skipper[10]
The Wall
Kwee Wee[10]
Alex Wright
Yun Yang
Female graduates
Asya
Daffney
Major Gunns
Stacy Keibler/Skye/Miss Hancock
Leia Meow
Midajah O'Hearn
Paisley/Nitro Girl Storm
Tygress
Torrie Wilson/Samant

17 hours ago, Ryan said:

Look at the list of names that come out of the Power Plant. It's not overly impressive in the end. Plenty of these people were trained before the damn Power Plant too.

Male graduates
Bryant Anderson
C. W. Anderson
Shark Boy
Sick Boy
Chad Brock
Johnny The Bull
Keith Cole
Kent Cole
The Demon
Diamond Dallas Page
David Flair
The Giant (Big Show)
Goldberg[6]

Giant Gonzales
Hardbody Harrison
Shane Helms (Hurricane)
Horshu
Mark Jindrak
Chris Kanyon
Lash LeRoux
Lodi
Steve McMichael
Ernest Miller[7]
Shannon Moore
Kevin Nash[8]
Sean O'Haire
Chuck Palumbo
The Renegade
Reno
Kid Romeo
Mike Sanders[2]
Bob Sapp
Sonny Siaki[9]
Elix Skipper[10]
The Wall
Kwee Wee[10]
Alex Wright
Yun Yang
Female graduates
Asya
Daffney
Major Gunns
Leia Meow
Midajah O'Hearn
Paisley/Nitro Girl Storm
Tygress
Torrie Wilson/Samant

You started to see returns on the Power Plant right when WCW went under. 

20 hours ago, Ryan said:

Male graduates
Bryant Anderson
C. W. Anderson
Shark Boy
Sick Boy
Chad Brock
Johnny The Bull
Keith Cole
Kent Cole
The Demon
Diamond Dallas Page
David Flair
The Giant (Big Show)
Goldberg[6]

Giant Gonzales
Hardbody Harrison
Shane Helms (Hurricane)
Horshu
Mark Jindrak
Chris Kanyon
Lash LeRoux
Lodi
Steve McMichael
Ernest Miller[7]
Shannon Moore
Kevin Nash[8]
Sean O'Haire
Chuck Palumbo
The Renegade
Reno
Kid Romeo
Mike Sanders[2]
Bob Sapp
Sonny Siaki[9]
Elix Skipper[10]
The Wall
Kwee Wee[10]
Alex Wright
Yun Yang
Female graduates
Asya
Daffney
Major Gunns
Leia Meow
Midajah O'Hearn
Paisley/Nitro Girl Storm
Tygress
Torrie Wilson/Samant

A couple names are missing from that list; High Voltage, Chase Tatum and Evan Karagias all came from the Power Plant too.

Chase Tatum was a No Limit Solider, he also wrestled The Gambler on Saturday Night once.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

A couple names are missing from that list; High Voltage, Chase Tatum and Evan Karagias all came from the Power Plant too.

Chase Tatum was a No Limit Solider, he also wrestled The Gambler on Saturday Night once.

Is it bad that I wanted to see a Gambler control segment here at least?

4 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Is it bad that I wanted to see a Gambler control segment here at least?

You'd of thought that Gambler would have gotten some offense in. Tatum with the Goldberg squash.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

No I blame you for everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here's Barbarian beating up Power Plant grad Evan Karagias on WorldWide

Even the VCR and the tape this was taped on knew Evan Karagias was drizzling shits and tried their hardest not to record the match.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

The Power Plant didn't really do much did it?

Kinda? I mean, you could argue that one Bill Goldberg is worth more than every homegrown guy the modern Performance Center has produced combined.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Goldberg seems to be what they were trying to produce and finally did with Goldberg.

They were trying to produce someone to end Bret Hart's career?

I hear things turned out especially well for Hardbody Harrison.

• Haha 2

We got CW Anderson and Daffney, so hey. 

EDIT: I looked it up on his Wiki and have to post this because it's so fucking WCW. Take in mind CW was untrained before this and had already worked OMEGA, etc.

In 1998, Anderson trained at the World Championship Wrestling run Power Plant under DeWayne Bruce and Pez Whatley. While there he was told by J.J. Dillon and Paul Orndorffthat he lacked the talent and physique to become successful as a wrestler. After spending eighteen months in the Power Plant without being utilized on WCW television, Anderson opted to leave the Power Plant, turning down a six-year WCW contract offer.[4][6]

Edited by Curt McGirt

I don't care enough to go and see who said it, but something tells me that CW fucking Anderson didn't get a six-year offer after being told correctly that he lacked the necessary tools to become a superstar wrestler by the people in charge right in the middle of the time they were desperately needing to cut costs. Someone's getting worked there. 

Edited by MORELOCK