DVDVR Message Board

WCW C-SHOWS MEMORIES

RIPPA

On 7/19/2018 at 10:34 PM, KidKash202 said:

Brad Armstrong was a great wrestler. That is not news to anyone who was watching in the eighties and nineties. But since he was not a big star in the nineties, I fear he is being forgotten by current fans. He was a guy who could maximize his minutes every time he worked. Whether it was a twenty minute match or a three minute squash. He could also hit the Russian Leg Sweep at any time. As many variations as DDP could do the Diamond Cutter. 

It sucks he did not wrestle Bret Hart once in WCW, when they were letting Bret do longish US title matches against guys like Van Hammer. 

He was a really underrated promo. 

• Like 2

Bobby Walker is so bad. I don't know how he stayed in the company so long. I think it was how he tried stuff he could not pull off consistently. 

Of all the talent WCW overlooked, its funny to think it was Walker and Sonny Onoo who sued for discrimination. I do think Sonny was an underrated late era manager. Ernest Miller's act was not as good when Onoo left. 

Virgil matches in WCW were known for crazy bumps. When he was wrestling the Steiners, because they'd mash the shit out of him every time. Especially Rick.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Nakanishi as Kurasawa is so weird in hindsight. Especially because you don't really even get that much of an indication of how good he was going to be real soon.

He "broke" Hawk's arm...so they kinda sorta gave him some shine as being dangerous too. 

• Like 1

They did a good job pushing him and then like Yoji Nagata they jobbed him to hell his final months. Which is something I can't understand. Especially with how they had Nagata beat Ultimo Dragon every time and Dragon was not going anywhere. Well if he had not been injured. 

• Like 1

It's still weird to this day to see pre-about 2006 Nakanishi and the fact of how mobile he actually was in his prime. Post-neck injury isn't really fair to judge.

6 hours ago, Ryan said:

It's still weird to this day to see pre-about 2006 Nakanishi and the fact of how mobile he actually was in his prime. Post-neck injury isn't really fair to judge.

Shit, even now he's a fucking excellent wrestler.

Who? Nakanishi? In what world? I like late '90s/early '00s Gotch-ism Nakanishi as much as the next guy but he's been terrible due to physical decline for ages now, but more importantly needed somebody to guide him through matches even in his physical prime. He's not even good with elevating younger guys in singles matches. Watch Nagata's match with Kitamura then contrast it with Nakanishi's. Night and day.

One thing from my 94 viewing is seeing how bad Road Dogg was as a rookie. I think he ended up as a good (not as good as his brothers) worker. But in 94 he looked like he could barely lock up. The reason is he was trying to imitate Brad without Brad's talent and it hurt him as a rookie. By 98 he stuck to what he could do well. 

I understand why WCW never did much with Scott Armstrong, who never had a good look or charisma to compensate. But Steve was really good and outside of teaming with Tracy Smothers, never did as much as he should have. 

On 12/8/2018 at 3:23 AM, Victator said:

Bobby Walker is so bad. I don't know how he stayed in the company so long. I think it was how he tried stuff he could not pull off consistently. 

Of all the talent WCW overlooked, its funny to think it was Walker and Sonny Onoo who sued for discrimination. I do think Sonny was an underrated late era manager. Ernest Miller's act was not as good when Onoo left. 

While I agree Miller floundered for a bit without Onoo, I have to completely unironically say that Commissioner Cat was probably one of the highlights of 2000 WCW. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 11:23 AM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

While I agree Miller floundered for a bit without Onoo, I have to completely unironically say that Commissioner Cat was probably one of the highlights of 2000 WCW. 

Cat was great when he wasn't wrestling. The stuff with the Dragons attacking him was incredible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1