DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Releases

Europa Universalis 4 demo is up on Steam.  My computer barely wheezes along running CK2 so I'm not sure it can handle it.

Spelunky and Papers Please are both up today, too.  It's a good day for games.

Some places are rumoring that the PS4 release date will be 10/21. Take that with a grain of salt.

Amazon told me to expect my "launch day" PS4 pre-order to be delivered in January. 

IGN with a nice preview of the upcoming Rocksmith 2014:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/16/rocking-out-with-rocksmith-2014

Looks like Ubisoft really heard the criticisms of the first Rocksmith and is working to address them - specifically the terrible UI and the amount of time it takes to actually get in and play songs. 

The article lists the full (as of now) tracklist, which features songs from Aerosmith, Kiss, The Who, and the Rolling Stones, among others.

I loved the first Rocksmith but hated he UI and eventually grew frustrated with it.  If they offer a digital version of this one - since I already own the cable, I don't need to do a physical purchase - I'll be buying this on launch day for sure.

I'm not restarting the thread so here ya go - the XBOX One launch titles

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (Ubisoft, Ubisoft)

Battlefield 4 (DICE, Electronic Arts)

Call of Duty: Ghosts (Infinity Ward, Activision)

Crimson Dragon (Grounding/Land Ho!, Microsoft Studios)

Dead Rising 3 (Capcom Vancouver, Microsoft)

FIFA 14 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)

Fighter Within (AMA Ltd., Ubisoft)

Forza Motorsport 5 (Turn 10 Studios, Microsoft Studios)

Just Dance 2014 (Ubisoft Paris, Ubisoft)

Killer Instinct (Double Helix, Microsoft Studios)

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (TT Games, Warner Bros. Interactive)

Lococycle (Twisted Pixel, Microsoft Studios)

Madden NFL 25 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)

NBA 2K14 (Visual Concepts, 2K Sports)

NBA LIVE 14 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)

Need for Speed: Rivals (Ghost Games, Electronic Arts)

Peggle 2 (Popcap, Electronic Arts)

Powerstar Golf (Zoe Mode, Microsoft Studios)

Ryse: Son of Rome (Crytek, Microsoft Studios)

Skylanders: Swap Force (Vicarious Visions, Activision)

Watch Dogs (Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft)

Zoo Tycoon (Frontier Developments Ltd., Microsoft Studios)

Zumba Fitness: World Party (Zoë Mode, Majesco)

Well, I, for one, will be picking up an Xbone on launch day so I can play Zumba Fitness World Party.  Get out of my way people, I won't be denied!

Sarcasm aside, that's a great lineup of titles.  There's a lot of quality games in there, even if a lot of them aren't exclusive.

• Like 1

I'm glad to see Watchdogs as a day one launch title.  It was previously listed as a "launch window" title.  Really looking forward to that game.  Of course, I'm still probably going to be wrapped up in GTAV when these systems come out I doubt I'll be getting more than Watchdogs and maybe a shooter at launch. 

And apparently we're going to find out the PS4 release date shortly at a Pre-GamesComm PS4 press conference that's about to start/

Amazon told me it was in January a few weeks ago.  Sure hope they were wrong ;)

Also, for those not aware, Sony has released a *12* gig version of their PS3.  Yeah, I don't get it either.

And apparently we're going to find out the PS4 release date shortly at a Pre-GamesComm PS4 press conference that's about to start/

Amazon told me it was in January a few weeks ago.  Sure hope they were wrong ;)

Also, for those not aware, Sony has released a *12* gig version of their PS3.  Yeah, I don't get it either.

I would assume that maybe they're going for of a casual crowd that maybe just wants to use a PS3 for a Blu-ray/Netflix player and a game or two but 12 GB is really puny.  Even if you're not going to be downloading anything, 12GB is only enough room to have one game installed at a time, and that's if it's not more than 5GB.  Some newer games like GTAV have 8GB installs.  If you got something like the newest CoD you probably wouldn't have enough room for the game install and DLC.

Plus there's a new bundle coming out next month that has a 250GB HD, headset, and GTAV for $299, so this release makes even less sense.

Oh god. Football Manager 2014 Classic for PS Vita.. featuring cloud play (so you can play on your computer, and then take that same game on the road with your Vita)

The announcement:

We’re excited to officially announce that Football Manager Classic 2014 is coming to PlayStation Vita.

FMC14 for PS Vita is our first game to allow cross-platform play away from home computers, meaning that fans who own both FM14 (and play Classic mode) for PC, Mac or Linux and FMC14 for PS Vita will be able to carry on a single continuous game, whether they’re at home using their computer or out and about with their PlayStation Vita (or vice versa).

It will be the first ever handheld game to feature our 3D Match Engine, alongside a pretty much identical feature set to FMC on home computers. Play the game at home, at work, at Uni, on the bus, on the train – wherever you want to, with the saved game stored in the cloud.

FMC14 for PS Vita will be published by SEGA and will be available as both a physical release and a digital download through the PSN store. Look out for more information, including release date coming soon. 

Welcome to the future of FM.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Dev trailer for The Witcher 3:  Wild Hunt

Looks pretty damn great and I liked the video.  On the other hand the next time a dev like Cliffy B. whines about the budgets / cost of games, this will come to mind.  Hey guys, let's hire a helicopter and some wolves for a Dev Diary promo. 

I have a feeling that PS4's list of launch titles will not be as extensive, which figures since I am getting a  PS4. I hope they surprise us and announce that The Order: 1886 is coming out at Launch.

From what I've seen online the lists are basically the same for cross-platform titles.  Just different exclusives.  The only thing with Sony is that they haven't committed the tag of day one to any of them.  They're all "launch window."  But certain games I think you can count on being day one.  Like Watchdogs for instance is supposed to have been developed mainly for PS4 so I'd imagine that one will be day one.  I'd expect the same for titles like Battlefield and Madden etc.  Killzone I think I read is day one a while back.  I don't think The Order is going to be a day one title though. 

I read the piece of ROCKSMITH earlier, great for all those fans.Thing is I didnt get into the entire GUITAR HERO & ROCK BAND SERIES until the past couple years when I found the BEATLES game for $3.99 at GAMESTOP(I still hate that place), and as I looked thru some of the Guitar and Rock Band games I was amazed how cheap they were. That first day I bought 4 games in both series for less than 12 bones. Point is, within a few weeks I'd bought everything cheap as hell(except for ROCK BAND 3-WTF?! WHY IS IT SO FUGGIN HIGH?!), even a couple guitars at yard sales for $3(both worked-still working).My question is, does ANYONE think the new generation games will try the ROCKBAND/GUITAR HERO SERIES  with a twist?Preish ahead of time,Oh yeah I rocked out the Van Halen game for a buck ninety nine. For once it felt like I was giving it back to GAMESTOP bastards.Anyways,Preish ahead of time, I'm curious as to whatcha think...-DamnNearFonzie

Tried a couple demos for the PS3:

Thunder Wolves - Helicopter shooter.  Looks pretty, has decent sound effects, cheesy voice acting.  Exactly the kind of game I should like - lots of stuff to blow up, not a whole lot of thinking needed.  Except it's terrible.  Feels unresponsive and it randomly stutters for no apparent reason.  Pass.

NHL 14 - Now with NHL '94 mode!  I only put about 20 minutes into this demo but I liked it a lot.  I haven't played an NHL game in a few years (I think NHL 10 was my last - and I liked that one a LOT) but this one feels really good.  I will almost certainly pick this up, the only question is whether I wait for it to drop in price and if I want to get the PS4 version instead (assuming I don't cancel my PS4 pre-order).