DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

DC/Vertigo have put out some prequel comics that help to flesh out the characters.  The first comic has Nux and Immortan Joe and details their early lives.

And written by Miller and people that worked on the movie, so probably can be viewed as canonical.

Perhaps this is an outlier opinion, but I saw it in 3-D and generally actually forgot that I was watching in 3-D until some of the more obvious "Stick out at the audience" bits such as during the climax.

The Ant-Man preview in 3-D seemed more "3-D" than Fury Road actually did for the most part.

Still...bloody amazing movie.

Agreed on all counts.  Saw it in 3D and only once or twice went "Hey this is 3D!"; for the most part, it's not really that noticeable.  Saw it at the Drive-In last night and it was pretty much the same movie, got totally lost in it regardless of 3D or not 3D.

Some people feel it's more immersive with the 3D (Saw one review that said that); I see that it wasn't filmed in 3D and was post-production rigged for 3D which explains why you have the wacky "Shit flying at the screen" climax.  I dunno.  I'm going to see it at the Drive-In tonight, so it will be a totally different experience than seeing it in 3D the first time.

3D is still shit.

Eh, I think there's enough examples of 3D being put to superior use in films that it's no longer fair to write it off entirely: 'Avatar', 'Prometheus', even 'Guardians of the Galaxy' and, especially, 'Gravity' are all films that used 3D to greater effect that if you'd seen the same film not in 3D.  It's fair to write it off in something like 'The Winter Soldier' where it provides no discernible difference to the viewer, but there are too many examples of talented people making it work in new and exciting ways (And I never got to see 'Cave of Forgotten Dream's in 3D, sadly) to dismiss it entirely.

So according to screen rant, the blu-ray is going to come with three versions of the movie. The theatrical cut, a black and white cut (That Miller calls the best version) and a silent except the score version.

As great as Charlize was in this and she was I hope the next movie has Max interacting with a whole new group of people, he should just be the drifter who stumbles into different situations every movie.  At the end of Fury Road it looks like when they got back to the Citadel that Max and Furiosa went in their separate directions.

The Nerdist reported that at least two of the three movies Miller has planned are prequels to Fury Road and would involve Immortan Joe. I don't know how Max will fit into it, but I'd love a Furiosa movie where we get to see all of the batshit War Boy stuff she was up to that requires redemption.

As great as Charlize was in this and she was I hope the next movie has Max interacting with a whole new group of people, he should just be the drifter who stumbles into different situations every movie.  At the end of Fury Road it looks like when they got back to the Citadel that Max and Furiosa went in their separate directions.

It was a total Shane/Searchers western ending.

I'll have to read back, but we ended up seeing it in 3D because that was the only showing.

The sandstorm scene relatively early on was probably the most immersive theater experience I can ever remember having. 

• Like 1

My girlfriend and I went to see it tonight and it was so fucking incredible. The end was amazing. I have no idea how they pulled any of that off. It was some Cirque du Soleil type shit.

We also saw the non-3d version because fuck 3d. It was only good for Gravity and it's damn near a ripoff for everything else.

I'm pretty sure the only summer movie filmed in 3D is San Andreas.

Everyone who's ever worked with 3D cameras says that it's an exhausting way to shoot. It's much more complicated than shooting with standard ones, you practically have to take apart and then rebuild the lens for every single shot. There ain't many directors who are willing to do that when you can achieve almost the exact same effect by doing it with computers in post. Ditto for the studios, since an extra day in post is way less expensive than an extra day on set.

Why not just give her a spinoff movie while Max goes on to do his own thing in the regular series? It worked for The Scorpion King...

We also saw the non-3d version because fuck 3d. It was only good for Gravity and it's damn near a ripoff for everything else.

Avatar and Gravity are the only ones I've seen that NEEDED to be in 3D in order to really work. (With the added caveat that I too have not seen Cave of Forgotten Dreams.) I'm told that some animated stuff like The Lego Movie and Pixar flicks are king-sized in 3D, but haven't ever gotten to watch any like that. Everything else was on a sliding scale of "hey, the 3D was actually tolerable for once" to "why the fuck did I bother paying five extra bucks to wear dark glasses for two hours? I have a headache now". I thought that Fury Road might be the rare exception, considering that it's George Fucking Miller we're talking about and a two-hour-long action scene might be one occasion where you'd actually prefer to be peeking into the third dimension.

Oh yeah, of course. But being all "man, why isn't every 3D movie shot in 3D?" is plain old-fashioned daydreaming when you're up against the ugly realities of expensive film production and money-obsessed Hollywood. Always remember, as much as we like to give lip service to the auteur theory in our little discussions here, the truth is that the money-marks are and always have been the ones who are really in charge of most filmmaking decisions. And even being shot in 3D is no guarantee of quality: the said-to-be-miserable Poltergeist remake was shot in 3D; meanwhile, Fury Road, Age of Ultron, Furious 7, and the upcoming Jurassic Park, Terminator, and Star Wars sequels are all postproduction conversions. Does anyone here really wanna see the former over any of the latter?

(It now occurs to me that I somehow missed Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, which certainly belongs right up there with Avatar and Gravity in terms of the 3d making THAT big a positive difference.)

Watched Fury Road again with a friend and it's still overwhelming. Every time you think you have a grasp on where it's going, Miller (literally) flips the script on you. I think this is gonna be a movie that every time you watch it you're gonna discover something new. The only things that bugged me were that the CGI bits did stand out when they were there, Charlize really needed a voice coach (at least she threw in the totally Aussie pronunciation of "gasoline"), and the camera-speeding of a lot of it at the start was tiring. Otherwise, this is an instant classic.

My one gripe is how quickly did they clear out the rocks from the gap for them to begone the second time through?

I wondered this as well. I think there was even a shot of those rocks on the second time through and then all of a sudden it wasn't an issue. It felt like something got cut for time.

They mentioned how the heels had removed the rocks when they were discussing the trip back.

It just seemed to happen very quickly, given the amount of rubble. But i guess they do have an infinite amount of labor to get it done.

Easily the most physically exhausting movie to watch that I can ever remember. I was actually tired by the time of the first real breather that actually lowered the tension instead of raising it (the nighttime scene after the pass).

Loved it as much as the rest of you, but I'm actually kind of disappointed that I saw it in 3D, rather than just a regualr viewing. 2D always makes everything too dark and the desert cinematography of this pretty much demands that you see it as bright and searing as possible.

I think the Ascension could get way over doing kamikaze shit in ring while cutting crazy War Boy promos. It was a gift that they accidentally booked an act that could be relevant in pop culture, but it doesn't look like they'll take advantage.