DVDVR Message Board

What do you collect?

BrianS81177

I used to have so many books that at one point in college I estimated that I had a literal ton of books in my bedroom. I have a lot of reference books for art, literature, history, etc. that are sort of outdated with the mass of information on the internet. I've actually started selling some.

My collection of sports cards (mostly baseball but I do have from football, basketball and hockey) currently sits in random tubs around the bedroom. I had been able to store them at my parents but a few years ago my Mom threatened to throw them out and I couldn't let that happen. Of course they are worthless but I spent so much time on them, yeah...

I also enjoy how all of us are ignoring "Wrestling Tapes" - my last box will be tossed the next time I move but that is only because I have converted everything in it to DVD

Tangentially - my Dad had two huge collections of things that my Mom and I are still trying to figure out what to do with. Stamps (which I did a little with him) and he had a HUGE collection of tape cassettes of Opera at the Met performances that he recorded himself. I suck at eBay and know I will get bent over if I do it that way. I would keep the stamp collection if I didn't live in a shoebox apartment. Stupid everything.

Before I realised it, I was collecting cheap guitars, 7 is all I have space for really. Harmonica's too, which you can get ridiculous bargains on. I used to collect comics, and still have thousands - mostly 2000AD and loads of Vertigo stuff, it occurs to me that the guy who ran the local comic shop was either really cool or really desperate for business to be selling me all the stuff he did.

When I was a kid I collected coins. I still have all of them. Then I moved on to baseball cards. At one point I got rid of most if them and then years later I picked it back up again but because it was so ridiculous with all the different companies and game used bat cards and crap like that I decided to just collect rookie cards. I have a few good ones. Roger Maris, Reggie Jackson, etc.

I still collect Magic: the Gathering cards since I still play on a casual level. With every new set I'll try to predict where the market is going to head on certain cards so I can try and get in on the ground floor before I card skyrockets up to $80+. I've been collecting since Revised too, but unfortunately I had a setback where someone broke in my car and stole my bad of cards. I had 4 pieces of the Power 9 in that bag, along with some dual lands too (Mox Ruby, Mox Emerald, Ancestral, and Time Spiral). Since then I've rebuilt my set nicely, except I'm about to sell a bunch of expensive cards off that I never use.

Count me in as one of those baseball cards types, never had any valuable ones, but it was fun to try and get them. As I got older, I started the tape trading, but never really fully jumped in. Then I got into action figures, various ones, really random until I settled into wrestling and DC Universe Classics figures. Then I fell too far into debt so I had to start selling a lot of them off. Makes me sad about the DCU ones because they were my favorites and was looking foward to getting them all out of the package and displaying them, but alas, it wasn't to be.

Pretty sure I just qualify as a hoarder at this point because I have a bunch of stuff.  Had to sell off the video games a while back but still have Transformers, comic books, video game magazines, wrestling videos(mostly VHS), etc....

Yeah, I have a problem.

I just recently moved, and in doing so, you get a chance to really see just how much shit you really have, and it's usually a mix of emotions from perplexing to humor to sadness. I have somewhere over 200 wrestling DVD sets, and probably around 150 wrestling tapes, mostly bootlegs. I'm a dork so I count them about once a year and estimate just how much footage I have. I don't have the actual figure in front of me, but it was somewhere around 70 days. Of course, it will never be enough. I don't have a ton of other wrestling memorabilia; maybe somewhere around 30-40 magazines and about a dozen books. Some odds and ends too, but that's about it.

I have a small vinyl collection, probably around 50-75 records that I pared down from around 100. Gotta work on that.

Is there any chance baseball cards from the 80s could have any value, or should I just start converting that massive collection of baseball cards in my basement into crafts?

Only if you get them professionally graded by PSA and they come back a 10.  Commons from 1986 Topps in PSA 10 condition can sell for well over $100 on Ebay.  Superstars like Nolan Ryan sell for well over $3000.  The reason for that is that 1986 Topps is extremely condition-sensitive.

In general, though, no, they're not worth much.  Especially if you're talking 1985 or later.  1984 and earlier, really only the top rookies (Ripken, Boggs, Mattingly, etc) are worth anything.

Is there any chance baseball cards from the 80s could have any value, or should I just start converting that massive collection of baseball cards in my basement into crafts?

Only if you get them professionally graded by PSA and they come back a 10.  Commons from 1986 Topps in PSA 10 condition can sell for well over $100 on Ebay.  Superstars like Nolan Ryan sell for well over $3000.  The reason for that is that 1986 Topps is extremely condition-sensitive.

In general, though, no, they're not worth much.  Especially if you're talking 1985 or later.  1984 and earlier, really only the top rookies (Ripken, Boggs, Mattingly, etc) are worth anything.

Huh, well, the three bottles of Mod Podge doing nothing in my house are about to find a use. I have an old coffee table I've been trying to re-surface. I wonder if I can Mod Podge the cards onto the surface and then pour a thin coat of clear resin over the top.

Tabe is right. They were pumping out cards so fast in the 80s they really didn't pay attention to quality. Most cards aren't even close to being centered. And with the material they used it was really easy to round a corner or two. So for people that have a bunch of cards it might be worth looking at your collection to see if you have any that appear to be pristine and have them graded.

I also collect Lego bricks. I'm convinced that shit will be like currency some day. I'm actually happy I saved all of my Legos from when I was a kid because I have a blast playing with them again with my daughter, especially since I found a website with old Lego instructions. Maybe if I wind up single again, I'll start buying some Lego Star Wars sets.

What did I collect? Fucking everything. Baseball cards, Magic cards, Lego, every toy you could imagine...yeah, I had it on lock.

When I got fired from my job in '07, I needed some income, so I sold a bunch of my baseball cards - specifically, the "good" autographs and game-used stuff. I got something like $2500 all in all, but feel like I could have gotten more. I had some ridiculously awesome stuff...Ripken/Banks double jersey double autograph, Jeter/Mattingly signed bat barrels, *three* Pujols autographs (when he was ALBERT PUJOLS)...disappointed it's all gone. Two years ago, I went on this weird binge where I bought a ton of 80s wax and vending boxes for peanuts, and I actually ended up getting all of the "good" rookie cards in mint condition. My intention is to get all of the early-mid 80s stuff graded and sell it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

As for Magic, I was an obsessive player. One year for Christmas, my mom gave me a budget and I went into the damn card shop and spent it all on starter boxes from the same set. I still have multiple binders and boxes of the stuff (mostly from Saga-Apocalypse) that I need to get rid of. This was actually the second spell of Magic that I was into, as I bought a ton of stuff in the late-90s...that my mom sold at a yard sale for next to nothing. Dear god that pains me to think about now. I also had a shit ton of dual lands that I sold on eBay for like $25 apiece a decade ago. They're going for I think triple that now. Dammit, life.

I still have my Magic cards from when Magic was a relatively new thing. I should just take them into a shop someday and be like "here are some priceless antiques, I would like to retire now, good day".

It was a great game but Jesus what a dumb thing to get into when you're not from a family with any money to spare.

i like action figures. I collect the current Mattel WWE line, the Marvel Universe line, and some others. As a child, I used to collect ceramic dogs. I had about 80. My mom has them somewhere. 

I will say that about a year ago I was going through my basement and found my Bandai pre-buyout first run Power Rangers figs. I got a grand for the lot, including figures and Zords. Good haul.

I have tons of sports cards just sitting around. Maybe my kids will like them.

Primarily sports cards of people I share a birthday with, although I do have a small number of non-sports cards. I currently have 551 cards of 113 different subjects, ranging from Jim Kelly, Gheorge Muresan and Marian Gaborik to Vic Morrow, Carl Bernstein and Jojo Starbuck. 65 of them are autos/game-used.

Used to collect GI Joe's the little ones, still get myself one a year. Mostly though it's films and music, my music collection is purely digital, and I've been thinking of doing the same with converting my films to avi and mp4 and getting rid of the actual discs/cases, but it's a grey area (or a black and white one shit I don't know) and the future hasn't quite caught up with us yet. Would be nice to have every single piece of visual media I own at the tap of a button.

I've been doing that myself. I have a TB HD that I've been pitting my movies on and playing them through the PS3. I love it. I'm not getting rid of the discs/cases though, something visually about having then on the shelf I find I like visually. I'm not a big book person so I try to keep what shelves I have filled with them

I still have my Magic cards from when Magic was a relatively new thing. I should just take them into a shop someday and be like "here are some priceless antiques, I would like to retire now, good day".

It was a great game but Jesus what a dumb thing to get into when you're not from a family with any money to spare.

I may be interested in buying them.

Way too many things but here is a list:

• Buddha stautues - not a Buddhist but I like the aesthetic the statues have.
  • Comics - I have cut back to virtually nothing, but I used to have a weekly addiction to picking my books up on Wednesday.  I have a ton of back issues.  I still get the itch when I go to comic conventions or what not and will usually go through the cheap boxes.
  • DVDs- Movies , wrestling DVD's (I really enjoy the WWE collections that have been put out)
  • Round 5 MMA figures -  I usually buy them on sale, never more than $10 a pop
  • Skull related kitchen ware - Dishes, glassware, etc.... (usually fint he best selection during the Halloween season)