DVDVR Message Board

What do you collect?

BrianS81177

A co-worker and I were talking about stuff we currently and used to collect, and I thought I'd put that up for discussion here.

Personally I'm a big collector of two things: comic book character shirts and watches. I've got about 30 comic shirts (the pride of my collection being my Gorilla Grodd shirt, though I quite dig my Bizarro one too) and about a dozen watches (I work in a Seiko store and get a pretty generous discount so I keep buying stuff even if I wind up rarely wearing it).

I used to collect sports cards until there got to be about 15 different brands every year. I miss the old days when it was Fleer, Score, Tops and Upper Deck.

I used to collect some of the WWE Legends figures too but I haven't bought one in quite a while. I think I have about 10 of them hanging on my wall in what I call my "nerd room"

So what about you guys? What do you collect, and how big are your collections?

My girlfriend too. Literally has a room stuffed with books. And god help you if you suggest she get rid of some of the ones she doesn't read anymore. You'll get a hell of a nasty look.

Not much these days.  Used to collect baseball cards until I realized they served no purpose for me.  The fun was always in opening up a new box and seeing what I got.  Once that was over, I stuck them in other boxes or in a book and that's it.  Also, I used to collect WWE figures but I really don't use them for much so I'm selling the remaining few I have.  I kinda sorta collect wrestling dvds but I have so many of them that have gone unwatched. 

I used to collect G.I. Joes and Transformers... you know the usual. I also had nearly every WWE/WCW action figure but all that shit mysteriously disappeared over the years. I would like to know what happened to it.

Then I moved on to collecting rap albums. I listed them alphabetically UNLESS it was a label like Death Row, Bad Boy, No Limit, Ruff Ryders, Rap-A-Lot, Ca$h Money, etc...  then I would place them altogether. I have well over 200 rap albums. I've lost count. Over the years.. I have started to buy a lot of stuff digitally but it's not the same. I've never fully gone digital though. I just picked up Kendrick Lamar Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City hard copy the other day.

Well, to be fair, What's the Matter with Kansas? might be the best political book of the 21st century thus far.

I am working on putting together the complete Disney WDFA canon on dvd and/or blu-ray.

Really, dvds and blu-rays in general.  I have a fucking absurd amount of them.

I used to collect G.I. Joes and Transformers... you know the usual. I also had nearly every WWE/WCW action figure but all that shit mysteriously disappeared over the years. I would like to know what happened to it.

Then I moved on to collecting rap albums. I listed them alphabetically UNLESS it was a label like Death Row, Bad Boy, No Limit, Ruff Ryders, Rap-A-Lot, Ca$h Money, etc...  then I would place them altogether. I have well over 200 rap albums. I've lost count. Over the years.. I have started to buy a lot of stuff digitally but it's not the same. I've never fully gone digital though. I just picked up Kendrick Lamar Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City hard copy the other day.

I had all the GI Joe, Transformer and Masters Of The Universe toys you could think of but they mysteriously disappeared too. And by mysteriously disappeared of course I mean "were sold at a garage sale by my mother"

Thomas Frank is a personal hero of mine. "One Market Under God," his piece before Kansas, is just as good, very underrated.

To stay on topic, I used to collect baseball/hockey/football cards as a kid, like anyone in middle school during 1999 I had an extensive Pokemon card collection (I had 4 Charizards. 4!!!!), and then in college I started a nice lil digital music "collection" (aka using the university's wireless network to download tracks from other students iTunes all around campus).

Not much now. If you include hotels we lived at for at least a week - then the wife and I have lived in nine different places since July. We've got storage units in two states, and we keep throwing out more and more stuff the longer we go without using it. Not living anywhere for very long makes you realize how much of a pain most stuff is to keep (the only piece of furniture we own is a recliner). If I can ever get a ROM arcade built then I'll be donating four boxes of old PS, Nintendo and Sega games to Goodwill and that will clear out a lot of space.

If pressed, I'd say that I collect fitness/rehab equipment (I have just about every gadget you can think of - from an ultrasound machine to every kind of foam roller) and Adidas track pants. I've worked out of the house for over two years now, and we rarely go anywhere fancy, so I'm wearing track pants 95% of the time. I have them in just about every color.

243i71x.png

Most of the stuff I used to really collect (comics, CDs, books) I either wandered off from or went to digital on.  You can argue physical ownership vs digital convenience all you want, but at the end of the day large print is best for me, and large print is WAY easier with a tablet or a Kindle.  I still *read* a ton of prose and a decent number of comics, but I don't really collect them anymore.  Same with music; I subscribe to Spotify and buy one or two albums a month in MP3 format instead of the four or five I did in college (I'm one of those weirdos who subscribes to both iTunes Plus and Amazon Cloud Player in case one shuts down).  I still buy quite a few video games in physical media.  I still buy a half dozen Transformers a year, never really big ones (I think in the past five years, I've bought two that were bigger than the $10-15 "Deluxe" price/size class, and those were the $20ish size) but I quit buying GI Joes, pro wrestling toys, superhero toys, etc. about 7 years ago.  I'll still buy certain characters (Anyone have a Marvel Universe Multiple Man they want to part with?) I'm super attached to, but one day I stopped really looking for them and there wasn't a particular reason for it.  I never said "My god, I'm wasting my money" or "My god, where will I put this?", I just stopped.

Thomas Frank is a personal hero of mine. "One Market Under God," his piece before Kansas, is just as good, very underrated.

Never did read that, but I do have The Wrecking Crew, which, while not quite as electric as Kansas, was very good.

• Like 1

I used to collect sports cards (hockey and basketball) but then it just became impossible to keep up with all the millions of different sets and releases. I'll still pick up the occasional vintage card though if the price is right but nothing modern. I also used to collect shoes but they took up way too much space so I gave up on buying sneakers 4 years ago and sold a ton of them. I used to collect a lot of shit but as I've grown older I've whittled it down substantially.

I too love watches, even though I've sold a good chunk off I still have a few dozen good ones. I love clothes, especially ties, I have probably 200 or so ties. I also collect vinyl albums, mostly classic rock; I have almost all of The Beatles' releases and love finding them at thrift stores for 69 cents. My favorite is by far Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs by Derek and the Dominos. I'll also pick up anything cool I find that's wrestling related like the Wade Barrett Survivor Series 2010 chair I picked up at a flea market a few months back. I love finding vintage or Japanese wrestling posters, programs, Lucha masks etc, and pretty much anything Joshi.

Can't believe I forgot this: kaiju toys. Lots and lots of kaiju toys. What was the American toy company in the mid-1990s that made the Godzilla figures (they had a really bizarre Biollante)? Yeah. I had more than I'll ever feel comfortable admitting to a significant other regarding the amount.

I collect vinyl records. I think it's pretty common, especially for someone my age, but music is my other passion/interest besides the obvious (wrestling). I haven't got too many, since newer records are expensive on that format, and I haven't gotten out to the flea markets lately to rumage around and see what they got. The last time I went I spent maybe $5, probably less, on the Grease soundtrack (stfu) and a best of Johnny Cash live album. Most of my collection comes from my grandparents, though. Kinda odd going through your grandparents attic, looking at the vinyl they have, and finding stuff like AC/DC and the Police. If they weren't my grandparents', I don't know whose they could have been - my mother hates that kind of music, always has.

Used to collect football and baseball cards but have stopped. I still have particular set I an trying to finish that I then hope to display.

I collect sports jerseys. Have about 40 total. About a dozen are game worn Spokane Indians jerseys, the rest are a mix of jerseys from football, hockey, and baseball but not game-worn.

I have dozens of books but don't collect - read 'em and ditch 'em.