DVDVR Message Board

Ryback/Punk Nonsense

Craig H

I'm probably underrating Ryback a bit. He's not a total stiff. He's tons better than Khali. But he's like 1/10th as good as Show or Mark Henry.

Reigns rules. That Reigns/Bryan solo match from a little bit ago was awesome. I mean, I'm pretty sure Bryan could get a great match out of me but the dude just hasn't had the singles exposure. But he's been in more good matches this year than pretty much anyone and he was a major part in all of those matches. And it's not just the six-man stuff. He and Rollins had a bunch of awesome tag matches together, too -- including the stuff with The Rhodes Boys, which are MOTY candidates and maybe even MOTD ones, to boot.

Could you imagine how shit Ryback/Rock would have been? Yikes. Also, LOL at the idea that Punk's title reign failed. Just because he wasn't at the top of the card doesn't mean the actual paying fucking audience didn't care. When he turned heel he was getting the biggest heel reactions on Raw and the biggest face pops on PPV. He is more of made guy than just about anyone over the last 10 years and to think that Ryback ever had a chance of turning into that is laughable.

You are doing a better job of undervaluing everyone else than you are of propping up Ryback. The Shield don't have a ceiling. Rollins might, but Ambrose and Reigns could become just about anything.

Did probably more harm to the belt than anything else in the last five years.

That's some Gonzalez level bullshit.

Not really. He brought the belt down to his level. He took the main event title and made it a mid card one. You can blame the booking all you want, but it was as unmemorable a title reign as you'll ever see. He felt like a midcard guy doing midcard things with a midcard belt.

I'm cutting this nonsense off now.  You are capable of having an actual debate on most topics, the Ryback stuff is a good discussion, but this is so ridiculous.  He was a more legitimate WWE title holder than anyone in the last 5 years except Cena.  He is viewed by the company and by the fans as one of the very top guys in wrestling.  No way a guy like that brings down a belt that Miz was holding a year before.

The end.  Go back to arguing with someone else.

• Like 9

Reigns is a charisma void. He is in the perfect spot right now as third guy in the Shield. The second they put him by himself he is going to die a brutal death. I'm not even sure he can work two on two tag matches regularly.

The Shield is a great team because they cover up each others weaknesses and make each other better. There is no good reason to split them up ever.. 

• Like 3

A few things

1) I moved 6 pages of post out of the Smackdown thread because... yeah it clearly needed to be it's own thread. There is nothing wrong with the conversation (my use of Nonsense in the title is mainly just for snark since I had to actually spend 10 minutes moving the fucking threads) and I will unlock the thread when I complete this post. I mean it is the internet. Are y'all shocked people like to use hyperbole?

2) At some fucking point you will all learn that just because something is written on the internet DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO FUCKING RESPOND TO IT.

3) Just for the record, at this moment, folks constantly going CLEARLY THAT IS TROLLING!!!! are way more annoying that the actual trolls.

• Like 5

A few things

1) I moved 6 pages of post out of the Smackdown thread because... yeah it clearly needed to be it's own thread. There is nothing wrong with the conversation (my use of Nonsense in the title is mainly just for snark since I had to actually spend 10 minutes moving the fucking threads) and I will unlock the thread when I complete this post. I mean it is the internet. Are y'all shocked people like to use hyperbole?

2) At some fucking point you will all learn that just because something is written on the internet DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO FUCKING RESPOND TO IT.

3) Just for the record, at this moment, folks constantly going CLEARLY THAT IS TROLLING!!!! are way more annoying that the actual trolls.

Ah, came in here expecting some backstage GOSSIP!~~ not a Ryback lovefest.

I fail to see how its trolling when all I'm doing is pointing out that Punk should have lost to Ryback and Reigns is not very good. Both are pretty normalish opinions. Obviously the Punk guys are trying to draw it out into something more sinister than that, but that's the crux of it.

Those are completely outlandish opinions.

Before Ryback's first match against Punk even happened, I said in a few years we will all laugh about this and shake our heads in disbelief that this guy ever was in a PPV main event. I still stand by that.

I fail to see how its trolling when all I'm doing is pointing out that Punk should have lost to Ryback and Reigns is not very good. Both are pretty normalish opinions. Obviously the Punk guys are trying to draw it out into something more sinister than that, but that's the crux of it.

Those are completely outlandish opinions.

Before Ryback's first match against Punk even happened, I said in a few years we will all laugh about this and shake our heads in disbelief that this guy ever was in a PPV main event. I still stand by that.

Yeah because they've booked him like shit ever since. That doesn't justify the decision at the time, in the moment.

For all the talk about Ryback should have beaten Punk blah blah, may I ask how you would have booked him in the next 6 months in order to protect him still? If you can tell me just how you get him through Mania without everything falling apart, bravo, cause I don't see it. You can't have him job to Rock, but Rock wouldn't take a fall against Ryback, so you more or less have to go a different way at the Rumble. Who challenges? And, furthermore, who wins the Rumble (since Rock/Cena thus becomes non title)? Assuming Punk Taker is the match at Mania (which it more or less has to be) what teh hell is your  WWE title match at Mania? Ryback/Henry? Ryback/Jericho? Ryback/Ziggler? You can't put him in there against Brock, because all that does is expose Ryback as being much much worse then Lesnar.

Was there ever a "good" explanation for that match where they had Ryback quit against the Miz?

They were pushing the idea that Ryback was playing it smart before his match with Jericho by having him quit against Miz so he wouldn't risk a severe leg injury(Even though he knew he could still beat Miz). That's why he ended up beating Jericho with a role-up. Proving he not only had muscle, but also brains.

Ryback did have that one last chance to be meaningful by winning the Rumble. That crowd and everyone was ready for it too, until Cena eliminated him. If Ryback wins the Rumble though, you could have him challenge for the World title and have Ryback say that he respects Cena and appreciates the opportunity handed to him, which is why he won't step in front of Cena if Cena still wants to challenge The Rock. Yeah, it's dumb, but it's nowhere near as dumb as some of the handouts Cena has received as a challenger to a title. That way, at some point, you can have Cena and Ryback team up, take on The Shield, whatever, and then do the whole "Mega Powers EXPLODE" angle. All of that is way better than what we actually received.

Ryback did have that one last chance to be meaningful by winning the Rumble. That crowd and everyone was ready for it too, until Cena eliminated him. If Ryback wins the Rumble though, you could have him challenge for the World title and have Ryback say that he respects Cena and appreciates the opportunity handed to him, which is why he won't step in front of Cena if Cena still wants to challenge The Rock. Yeah, it's dumb, but it's nowhere near as dumb as some of the handouts Cena has received as a challenger to a title. That way, at some point, you can have Cena and Ryback team up, take on The Shield, whatever, and then do the whole "Mega Powers EXPLODE" angle. All of that is way better than what we actually received.

Agreed. And you can easily have Show take the title back from Del Rio for something that at least resembles a Mania worthy title match.