DVDVR Message Board

Ryback/Punk Nonsense

Craig H

Ignoring the fact that I jumped out of my seat and marked out when it happened, the Ryback loss to Mark Henry at Mania was just fucking absurd.  He got pinned, clean, at Wrestlemania, the day before starting a program with the WWE champion.

Ignoring the fact that I jumped out of my seat and marked out when it happened, the Ryback loss to Mark Henry at Mania was just fucking absurd.  He got pinned, clean, at Wrestlemania, the day before starting a program with the WWE champion.

Like I said before... They really wanted him to fail, and look like a failure in the eyes of fans. And that Cena feud really did the trick.

The possible Warrior spot you guys are saying Ryback should have is reserved for Roman Reigns and Big E Langston, thank you.

"Ryback can't work 15 minute main events" but Luther Reigns can.

Is this a gimmick post, or do you really think Horshu is in the Shield?

The dude got killed with "Goldberg" chants when he was dropping jobbers on their spines.

It was the same three people every week. They were pitiful. 

"Goldberg, Goldberg. why is nobody else chanting. He is bald GOLDBERG!!! GOLDBERG!!!"

Dang, I thought Deadheads were committed, but these three guys followed Raw around from week to week just to chant Goldberg? Shee-oot.

• Like 1

Not dissing the guy, be it should've been obvious that Ryback was a guy that one be a one main-event-push kind of guy. I just don't see how anyone could've expected a guy who built his whole gimmick/moveset on "top star food" to have momentum to last once he feuded with a top guy.

Imagine Goldberg jobbed to Hogan and fucked off? Or Batista lost to Triple H and fucked off?

Ryback wasn't remotely as over as either guy.

He wasn't booked remotely as well as either guy, but he was over and he could have been a big star.

If they had protected him and given him better booking, Ryback absolutely could have been a big star. So what if he has a bad attitude, is super reckless, and has to be led through his matches. I just described Goldberg, too. And he had the extra handicap of working in WCW. It can be done.

• Like 2

The possible Warrior spot you guys are saying Ryback should have is reserved for Roman Reigns and Big E Langston, thank you.

"Ryback can't work 15 minute main events" but Luther Reigns can.

Is this a gimmick post, or do you really think Horshu is in the Shield?

Fuck, Horshu was way cooler than Roman Reigns. I was a huge Luther Reigns mark. Wishful thinking, I guess.

• Like 1

I think the biggest problem with the way Ryback was handled was that, for seemingly no reason, they hotshotted him into the main event

No reason? NO REASON!? One of their biggest stars was going to be out of action for awhile, and they needed to install someone else into that program. I think that's a good enough reason to put Ryback in that position during that time period.

Personally, I believe someone had it in for Ryback. So instead of having Cena lose the feud to Punk before the Rumble, they decided to instead feed Ryback to Punk killing his momentum on purpose.

Fair point, I was more referring to the idea that he should have had a more gradual push to the main event spot. Had that happened, he would probably be in a much better spot. That being said, his current tag team situation seems like the best possible use of both of them.(besides Curtis and Mick Foley being a tag team.)

Not dissing the guy, be it should've been obvious that Ryback was a guy that one be a one main-event-push kind of guy. I just don't see how anyone could've expected a guy who built his whole gimmick/moveset on "top star food" to have momentum to last once he feuded with a top guy.

Imagine Goldberg jobbed to Hogan and fucked off? Or Batista lost to Triple H and fucked off?

Ryback wasn't remotely as over as either guy.

He wasn't booked remotely as well as either guy, but he was over and he could have been a big star.

If they had protected him and given him better booking, Ryback absolutely could have been a big star. So what if he has a bad attitude, is super reckless, and has to be led through his matches. I just described Goldberg, too. And he had the extra handicap of working in WCW. It can be done.

Right, and it WAS done. Hence the Goldberg chants. You can slip the same old shit by a wrestling crowd, but you've got to dress it up a LITTLE. In more than a singlet.

The Mania loss to Henry was the absolute best.  There was no reason for it at all.  Everyone was certain that they couldn't job him out clean again.

And Henry just fell on him.  It was like a big rib at that point...his whole career, I mean.  And we were all let in on the joke then.

• Like 3

Im not saying Ryback would've made the WWE millions of dollars, im just saying that they had the chance to make another main event player and they dropped the ball. The same thing happened to Kofi Kingston when they squashed him in the series with Orton all those years ago.

The whole Ryback v Punk series did nothing for anyone. Punk was as over as he was going to be, beating Ryback didn't make him anymore of a heel. If anything it put over Heyman as a slimeball because he hired Maddox and the Shield ut we already knew he was a slimeball! If they wanted to do that match then run it once and have the Shield interfere. Ryback then spends the next few months trying to get through though guys to get back to Punk. By the time he gets to Punk the title is on Rock.

I wouldve done Ryback vs Punk 2 at Elimination Chamber (give Punk his rematch with Rocky on RAW for a ratings bump and Undertaker powers can fight off the Shield at the PPV to start that deal) and swapped Ryback into either Ortons' or Sheamus' spot vs the Shield at Mania and you give Ryback the winning pinfall here.

After Mania Ryback is done with Punk and the Shield and wants another shot at the title.

Booking him strong through Cenna's injury, re-elevating Bryan and working him into the main event story is just a simple matter of doing a serch and find on the script and replacing Big Show with Ryback. Obviously you wouldnt have him cry before he knocked out Dusty, and to be honest he could easily turn heel here in a major way and start a program with Bryan and a return series with post Heyman Punk.

It's all moot though because they fumbled this worse than Romo in the playoffs.

• Like 1

I think it is pretty obvious at this point WWE do not want more main eventers. They want a roster of mid carders financially dependent on WWE to make a living.

I think the last thing WWE expected after buying WCW was guys just quitting and it got up in their crawl. 

• Like 3

I think it is pretty obvious at this point WWE do not want more main eventers. They want a roster of mid carders financially dependent on WWE to make a living.

I think the last thing WWE expected after buying WCW was guys just quitting and it got up in their crawl. 

Seems like a pretty good theory. They've cut the knees out of everyone since Batista.

This is actually a pretty good point that I'd never considered.  But a lot of guys that WWE was giving big pushes to did just up and quit: Batista, Bobby Lashley, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle (quit/was fired, whatever), Rock, RVD.  So, it could very well be that WWE is content to keep WWE as 'Starring John Cena' and supporting cast.

So, it could very well be that WWE is content to keep WWE as 'Starring John Cena' and supporting cast.

So they've settled on a stable of people who a guaranteed to stay loyal, and in return are guaranteed to keep their static position in a never-changing cast of go-nowheres? People on the roster now are just like trapped in a lava lamp?  Slowly drifting, sometimes up, sometimes down...but always in a circle...cycling around but never going anywhere and never leaving?

It explains why guys getting jobbed out mercilessly are fine to stick around.  They know that no one is going anywhere or getting fired no matter how bad they are made to look...they'll slowly cycle back around to an IC title reign in a few months. 

Like, who was the last person who actually suffered the consequences of being jobbed out?  who was actually jobbed right off of t.v. and totally lost their spot on the visible roster?  Ryder...who they didn't want around anyway?

The whole Ryback v Punk series did nothing for anyone. 

You think Ryback would have been getting those huge pops against anyone?  It was the top heel, at the tail end of a super long title reign, bumping around the ring like a mad man. The only reason Ryback had a shot as a top guy was because of Punk.  No one else has even come close to making Ryback look that good.

They screwed up at Mania, but Ryback wasn't dead in the water until week 2 of the Cena feud when he backed down from a one on one fight.  They turned a monster face into a chickenshit heel at that moment and there was no going back.  A month later he was walking out of matches with The Miz.

Losing to Punk wasn't as big a problem as failing to ever get one over on the Shield. He could have recovered from losing to the longest reigning champ in 25 years, but constantly getting punked by a trio of rookies was the nail in the coffin.

THIS. He never, ever got his revenge against The Shield. It should've built to a Mania match where Ryback faced all three of The Shield in a Gauntlet match. Ryback makes his way through the first two before succumbing to the third via shennagins. Puts Ryback over and protects the Shield. But the fact that he just kind of gave up even trying and simply moved on...yeah, that was dumb.

Okay, so they built Ryback up and he jobbed out to The Shield and never got revenge. At the same time, do The Shield become what they became without taking out Ryback? I would say no. And who is more valuable to the WWE? The Shield or Ryback? The Shield, in a walk. They've torn the house down for a year.

The whole thing with The Shield and Ryback was just never resolved on either end. Ryback wasn't really "taken out" as in he never came back, so them beating down Ryback didn't really do much ultimately for The Shield. Everybody just sort of moved on and forgot about the three months of them interfering in Ryback's matches. The Shield's match at Mania was quickly booked and thrown together and didn't mean much. Same with Ryback's. Put them in a match together and it means more, and in the scenario where Ryback goes through two of The Shield members, let's say Rollins and Ambrose, before falling to Reigns gets all of them over. The Shield was never defeated at that point. That would've been the first time they took any sort of loss, so it builds up Ryback for getting those wins, but The Shield ultimately winning the full match keeps them over as well. Seemed like obvious booking to me, but then two weeks out they change it up and they all end up in meaningless matches.