DVDVR Message Board

Kaz Hayashi vs. Raven

RIPPA

Let's see if this works

Based on various conversations - I finally figured I should upload this.

http://youtu.be/I9jvNV9I9Rk

Just a note before anyone bitches. I ripped this off a DVD that I made of random matches off of my copies of Dean's perm tapes.

So it is basically 4th generation.

But it is definitely good enough for government work.

• Like 16

The only match of this length I can remember being as good as this is Dolph/ADR after Wrestlemania.

WTF were these guys thinking doing a match like this for Worldwide? I mean, I 100% appreciate it, don't get me wrong. But the only people watched Worldwide were seemingly us.

Great stuff.

What in the what...?

Thanks for posting this.

I'm not familiar with Kaz outside of the name so 2 questions:

Why did he have the Glacier gear?

Did he normally take bumps like that?

-

Scott Hudson even said bump.

Glacier sold his gear to Kaz and I think he sold his entrance lighting to the Cat.

Growing up, we didn't have cable so my only exposure to the top 2 companies were the various syndicated shows like Worldwide and Superstars. They did a great job presenting the main angles of the Monday night shows. More importantly, the shows had great jobber squashes. I really think the midcard guys like Kofi, Miz and Cesaro would benefit from a show like that. The current Superstars suffers from too much 50/50 booking.

Yeah - Youtube is FILLED with amazing Kaz Hayashi matches after the death of WCW

I will say this about Raven - he was always willing to let the "lesser" guys look real good in his matches against them. Granted, he might also paralyze them but still

• Like 1

has anybody ever put it on the record how they decided on the matchups for the Worldwide/Pro squashes at the Orlando tapings? it'd seem like a pretty minor question, and I don't know if it has come up on a shoot.

Just asking since these shows produced some pretty random matchups (Ric Flair v. Lizmark Jr, and such). So, did they just pick names out of a enhancement talent hat? or did people volunteer on the spot?

Ah the Castrol GTX Instant Replay... it takes me back. 

I just thought about why laying the chair the opposite way against an opponent would look more logical, so they wouldn't have to hold it, but then I realized it would probably hurt way more when you hit it and if you laid it the wrong way the top part may blast you in the face. 

I was a huge Raven mark back in those days.  Honestly, his ECW and early WCW stuff still holds up for me today, even though virtually nothing else he did still works for me.  Such a great character. 

It's kinda surprising, then, that I'm a bigger fan of Kaz these days.  Kaz had a great run in All Japan and his match with Shuji Kondo in 2006 may be my favorite jr. match of the decade (definitely top 3).

Watching a fun Damien vs. Hak match from Worldwide, I believe the week before Kaz vs. Raven. Damien gets time to shine and has a fun tussle over the kendo stick. Not sure what provoked the ECW guys vs. random crusierweights trend in 1999, but i love it

I really need a catch-all Worldwide thread because ERNEST MILLER IS CALLING OUT JERRY FLYNN for Uncensored!!!! He's a three time world karate champ, and Jerry got his black belt at Target! Fighting words!! How do I retroactively buy this PPV

and Mike Enos took 90% of a match against Booker T, including a great neckbreaker, and an attempt to drop Booker throat first over the guard rail that someone cause Booker to bump on the guardrail with his hip and ass...

Hayashi splattering onto the outside of the ring was just nasty.

I miss WCW B-Shows. No one cared what the wrestlers did, so you would get gems like this on random Saturday Nights or Worldwides on a surprisingly decent basis.