DVDVR Message Board

The Overly Serious Action Movie Thread

Bustronaut

Elysium, which is on his list, seems like a fair shout.  It beats you over the head with it's message, which sucks the fun out of what could be a really thrilling action movie. District 9 is a way superior film.  I was expecting more.

Oh, man. Every time I look at that list, something new jumps out at me. Apparently THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU is an action movie. You know, the one where Matt Damon struggles to reconnect with his true love while being menaced by those most fearsome of adversaries, John Slattery and Terrence Stamp in magical fedoras. (Do I need to spoiler box the magical fedoras?)

Totally badass.

I demand comparisons. Which action/SF movies took themselves exactly seriously enough?

Oh, good question!  A.I., is a good example. 1/2 the Mission Impossible movies (2&4, I don't remember anything from 3), the Ong Bak movies, Attack the Block, Batman Begins, Super 8, Transformers 1 & 3 (2 was goofy), Get Carter are a few off the top of my head.

I might have gone a little overboard toward the end of compiling the list with the apocalyptic movies, but there sure were a lot of 'em recently.

Niners Fan is correct that I was referring the grim/dark/ponderous tone when I mistakenly put "overly serious" in the title of the thread.  I'm tired of "dark" being mistaken for mature.  It seems like every genre feels they need to put out "dark" movies to be taken seriously, but when you're just repeating the same patterns over and over with a different character slotted into the paradigm it gets old really fast.

Look at Star Trek: The Motion Picture - it is in a nutshell everything that is wrong with most genre movie adaptations, and is widely regarded as terrible, compared to WoK, which took itself much less seriously and everyone loves.

I'm scatterbrained this morning, so I'll toss this in too THE AVENGERS:THE DARK KNIGHT RISES::STAR WARS:STAR TREK:TMP

Thematically, it pairs well with 'City of Ember'

I love all the trolls who skim the list looking for a movie they recognise and skip the "Action/Sci-Fi" sentence and the "MOVIES NOT JUDGED ON QUALITY, JUST THEMATIC ELEMENTS*"

Christ, learn to read

*Tone, for the trolls

Still don't get it? People read your thread, but you cant have Michael Cera getting a Rimjob on the same list as Children of Men and claim thematic elements-!

It's a foolish list that can't be tied together by any tone or style.

• Like 2

Still dont get it? People read your bullshit thread, but you cant have Michael Cera getting a Rimjob on the same list as Children of Men and claim thematic elements-!

It's a foolish list that can't be tied together by any tone or style.

I guess Mike missed RAPTURE-PALOOZA, otherwise that definitely would have made the list.

Thematically, it pairs well with 'City of Ember'

I love all the trolls who skim the list looking for a movie they recognise and skip the "Action/Sci-Fi" sentence and the "MOVIES NOT JUDGED ON QUALITY, JUST THEMATIC ELEMENTS*"

Christ, learn to read

*Tone, for the trolls

I think people can be forgiven for missing the /Sci-fi part, since the title of the thread, and the first sentence, just references "action movies."

Personally, I don't find BATMAN BEGINS tonally much different than the next two in the series. Probably all of them take themselves too seriously. Then, if you have the audacity to respond to them with a serious critique, you get a response of "it's just a superhero movie omfg!"

See, if you are someone criticizing The Dark Knight you are going to be looked at as someone who is looking for attention because we're talking about a film that is over 90% on RT and near the top of the imdb Top 250.

There's not a lot of people who DISLIKE the film so if you are going to criticize it you better be bringing some damn good points to the table..