DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Observer/Meltzer Ominbus Thread

Presented without comment:

--Notes from last night's Bellator show in Long Beach

The biggest celebrity pop didn't come for a fighter, but for Rob Van Dam, with "RVD" chants when he came into the arena
It didn't come across this way on TV, but loud "Eddie" chants during the main event
There were so many strippers there as dates that you almost felt like you were at a strip club
While not airing on TV, a commercial for TNA aired inside the arena
DDP was at the show trying to push his Yoga to fighters after the show
Bjorn Rebney said that they are going to book Tito Ortiz when he recovers from his broken neck if he heals as anticipated.  Ortiz was at the show.  With a mustache, glasses and his giant head, he looks now like the little brother of Tensai.  

9-2-96 -

After months of hype, Glacier (Ray Lloyd) debuted on 8/23, and worked several matches against Big Bubba (who he's going to be beating at all the house shows once they send him) which are likely more try-outs than taped matches. He looked so-so, wearing a ring outfit that was described as similar to the Max Moon gimmick in the WWF. He mainly does kick boxing moves (this is Bischoff's idea since he comes from a kick boxing background) and is designed to attract young kids. They taped a match with regular lighting, then tried out a gimmick where all the ring lights were turned down and they wrestled in blue lighting with the gimmick that Glacier has super powers, but since his blood runs cold and his name is Glacier, that his weakness is the lights so his matches must be done in blue light or he loses his powers. Hey, I'm not coming up with these scripts, just reporting them. He missed his finish both times.

Roland Alexander, the owner of the Hayward-based All Pro Wrestling school since 1991, passed away earlier today. No details are available but Alexander, who was 59, had been in poor health for years with heart and diabetes issues. Alexander was best known for his appearance in the movie "Beyond the Mat," which profiled his wrestling school.  9ond ivie "nondewayscine 1991

With all the ridicule we've been giving Dave and company lately, this really has been one of the best weeks audiowise the site has ever had.  Between the 80 minute mailbag Saturday, the additional 30 min mailbag Sunday, the awesome 90 minute History of MidSouth show, and the Chris Jericho and Kevin Kelly interviews, they've been on a serious roll.  Bryan even made a joke on Sunday's show that was actually funny.

Interesting list. Can't wsit to read the bios sometime in 2022.

Atlantis & Wagner bios were in the issue. But Dave didn't write either. Matsunaga & Sasaki are supposed to be over the next two weeks and I assume written by Dave. He said he's not doing Tanahashi yet since his career is still in progress much like why Rey's bio hasn't been done yet.

11-6-13 -

Layfield answered the question about last week's Partridge Family mention. It was apparently that Slater reminded him of David Cassidy. He would have to be the only one who would think Heath Slater reminded him of David Cassidy. Maybe next week he can say Moolah reminded him of Linda Evans in the James Bond movies. Kane, dressed in a suit and tie, looking like a cross between a giant 2001 version of Dana White and Bull from Night Court came out and distracted Show.

Why does Giant Haystacks do so poorly in Europe category?Seems like he has all the qualifications of Big Daddy ( biggest draw in UK)Without all the things that detract from Daddy--Haystacks was a better worker, was giving in ring ( the Haystacks v Regal match got Regal his WCW job), was friendly guy well liked by peers, main evented in other parts of Europe (and maybe middle east? can't remember...but point was had success outside promotion that he owned), etc.

Also is this the best that British Kendo Nagasaki has done?I didn't follow the HOF debate this year but was their some sort of Kendo push from somewhere?Given how easily Nagata, Ohtani, Takayama and Akiyama fell off the nominations list, surprised by the Tanahashi and Sasaki inductions. 

I think this is the best that Kendo Nagasaki has ever done. I'd be all for him going in (as well as Jackie Pallo, and Mark Rocco), but I don't have a ballot and if I did, I doubt that Dave would think me eligible to vote on the European candidates. I can't see either Big Daddy or Giant Haystacks as HOFrs.

A very strong group this year, the exclusion of Enrique Torres is a disappointment as is the continued exclusion of Volk Han, Ken Patera, and Mark Lewin.

Lewin is an interesting case, his work in Oz isn't quite enough to get him in, but when you add up all the other stuff he did, he seems like a no-brainer to me. I think the thing keeping Patera out is that he's such a hateful bastard, no one likes him.Patera should really be a mod on this board, he seems to hate everyone and will go off without warning, all qualities that one wants in a mod.

I think this is the best that Kendo Nagasaki has ever done. I'd be all for him going in (as well as Jackie Pallo, and Mark Rocco), but I don't have a ballot and if I did, I doubt that Dave would think me eligible to vote on the European candidates.

Just FYI that there's no restrictions on which categories a voter can choose to vote in. It's a self-selecting process -- they decide which sections that they feel qualified to judge and go from there.