DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Observer/Meltzer Ominbus Thread

So based on Meltzer's logic about the AJ Styles/TNA angle on Thursday, all companies should create a contract on original angles like the Montreal screw job or the CM Punk angle, or the NWO that expires on a certain period.  Until that period, NOBODY CAN USE THAT ANGLE because it was already done before and chances are it won't be like the original.  

I am really glad that Meltzer didn't have this opinon in 1996 when Bischoff stole the NWO concept from Japan.  The reason that there are wrestling companies and MMA companies other than the WWE and UFC is because people think that can do their shit better.  Well that and money.  

I would say about 99% of the millions that watched WCW during that time had zero idea about the invasion angle in Japan.

So based on Meltzer's logic about the AJ Styles/TNA angle on Thursday, all companies should create a contract on original angles like the Montreal screw job or the CM Punk angle, or the NWO that expires on a certain period.  Until that period, NOBODY CAN USE THAT ANGLE because it was already done before and chances are it won't be like the original.  

I am really glad that Meltzer didn't have this opinon in 1996 when Bischoff stole the NWO concept from Japan.  The reason that there are wrestling companies and MMA companies other than the WWE and UFC is because people think that can do their shit better.  Well that and money.  

I would say about 99% of the millions that watched WCW during that time had zero idea about the invasion angle in Japan.

I'd wager most didn't even know there was wrestling in Japan... 

When I was younger, I always equated Japanese wrestling with the death matches because of reading about Terry Funk and Cactus Jack battles overseas. It wasn't until I reached high school that I started to find out about NJPW, AJPW and the like. Granted, I'm 26 so I never grew up watching the NWA when they had the working relationship with AJPW.

I'd think that WCW fans of that period had at least some semblance of knowledge regarding New Japan at least seeing as how WCW used Muta and Liger a lot while also giving Chono, Sasaki, and Fujinami high profile matches and thats not even counting the '95 Starrcade build up and show. I know that's how I first became interested in Japanese wrestling.

I was watching Nitro every week back then and I have almost no recollection of NJPW's influence at Starrcade '95 (I didn't order the PPV but don't remember any build for the NJPW stuff on Nitro). I sorta remember the Flair/Sting/Luger/Savage thing but that's about it. I do remember Chono being in the nWo and Ultimo Dragon and all that but at the time, I really had no knowledge of actual Japanese wrestlers doing anything in Japan aside from death match stuff.

Lyger was on a few Nitros. He was on the debut show. The Japanese women made an appearance on Nitro too. I recall Kensuke Sasaki or Tenzan being on a Nitro too as well. The weekend shows for WCW were really were you'd have seen New Japan wrestlers on as they were always on the morning show and Saturday Night. Otani, Kanemoto, Sasaki, Lyger, and a few others made appearances.

Verbatim transcribed words of wisdom from Dave on today's Wrestling Observer Radio:

"No, I mean, I..I.. , ya know, I think that there's, ya know...ya know from the-from the time the guy came in, I mean, I..people there had been tellin' me that, that ya know, he was gonna be, they kinda saw a, um, Dwayne Johnson like thing in him, he ain't gonna be  Dwayne Johnson but but he he still could be a top guy and I think that the idea is at some point that ya know, you get him in that position, so...uh, yeah, something...for..I don't know I wouldn't break these guys up but, um, I mean eventually I guess eventually you would have to but but I don't know that it's the time yet but um obviously th-th, ya know, they're teasing it now that probably means they're gonna do it within a couple of, uhh...usually that means they're gonna do it like within about four weeks but maybe this one will be a little bit slower."

• Like 3

but um obviously th-th, ya know, they're teasing it now that probably means they're gonna do it within a couple of, uhh...usually that means they're gonna do it like within about four weeks but maybe this one will be a little bit slower."

had to get it just right, had to hedge with the "about." i would LOVE to see the table he's checking in his head during that "uhh" 

• Like 1

From the 08/19/96 WON:

DDP wants to do a deal where he would be the Stevie Richards flunky to Ric Flair, but Flair is said to not be so hot on the idea. Flair would in that scenario be DDP's benefactor, since they started a benefactor storyline with no idea where they were going with it.

I never heard this was an option at that point.

The New Japan/WCW thing was pretty much the main push for that Starrcade. It was all over the TV.

WCW did a great job of introducing wrestlers to foreigners, or at least acknowleding that other countries had professional wrestling as well. Let's not forget the WCW/NJPW Supershow in the early 90s.

From the 08/19/96 WON:

DDP wants to do a deal where he would be the Stevie Richards flunky to Ric Flair, but Flair is said to not be so hot on the idea. Flair would in that scenario be DDP's benefactor, since they started a benefactor storyline with no idea where they were going with it.

I never heard this was an option at that point.

Nor I. Could have been interesting. DDP back then would have bent over backwards to make anythign work back in the mid 90's. 

Dave sounded absolutely exhausted doing WOR Sin Limite this month. Seems like he was absolutely asleep at one point when it went silent for ages.

I swear I don't know how he isn't burnt out after all these years.  You have to figure there are days when he wants to just say "fuck it" and take a nap or something.

Dave sounded absolutely exhausted doing WOR Sin Limite this month. Seems like he was absolutely asleep at one point when it went silent for ages.

I swear I don't know how he isn't burnt out after all these years.  You have to figure there are days when he wants to just say "fuck it" and take a nap or something.

Those are the days he proofreads.

• Like 1