DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Observer/Meltzer Ominbus Thread

I know I can't be the first person who has asked about it in the history of the show, but Dave answered my Halloween Havoc '92 question on the 10/20 Observer Radio episode.

Yes, they did rig the wheel - Coal Miner's Glove was actually the stip they wanted for Sting/Roberts.

Good lord.

Is there any logic to dictate what on the front page is subscriber only and what is free to read? When I tried to look at the UFC report this morning it was subcriber only, as was the report on Revolution Pro last night with Tanahashi. But the Michinoku Pro event report is free to read?

Is there any logic to dictate what on the front page is subscriber only and what is free to read? When I tried to look at the UFC report this morning it was subcriber only, as was the report on Revolution Pro last night with Tanahashi. But the Michinoku Pro event report is free to read?

No. And dont ever ask for an explanation

Bear in mind that Bill Watts was running WCW at the time, and was widely derided for being out of touch.

I don't think it would have been that awful of a stipulation if it was just something that was booked ahead of time instead of being the lamest option out of all the stipulations on the wheel. It's like getting a free vanilla milk shake only to later find out that instead you could have had a free cookies and creme milkshake.

Bear in mind that Bill Watts was running WCW at the time, and was widely derided for being out of touch.

I don't think it would have been that awful of a stipulation if it was just something that was booked ahead of time instead of being the lamest option out of all the stipulations on the wheel. It's like getting a free vanilla milk shake only to later find out that instead you could have had a free cookies and creme milkshake.

May y'all be cursed with Hex of a Thousand Badly Laid Out Prince Of Darkness Matches. I luv Coal Miner"s Glove bouts, please watch some more Dutch Savage before you post,

out of touch with the kids himself a tetch,

RAF

May y'all be cursed with Hex of a Thousand Badly Laid Out Prince Of Darkness Matches. I luv Coal Miner"s Glove bouts, please watch some more Dutch Savage before you post,

RAF

There's nothing wrong with the glove gimmick as such, it's just that they did absolutely nothing to try and get it over beforehand. 

(Heh.  Glove.  Hand.  I amuse myself.)

RAF

I honestly have no idea what you just posted.

You can't see it, but I am shaking my (ungloved) fist at all the whippersnappers out there in the Rassling InterWeb Cloudland. And yes, BigMcLH, the coolest gimmick matches mean nothing if the bookers don't get them over ahead of time, so true.

-old&intheway,

RAF

p.s. - wait, there are kids out there who are not down with Dutch Savage?!? There needs to be an unheralded under-lauded Golden Age grappler video edumacation thread started, stat. He was just obited in the WON, by jeebus.

Why would you have a gimmick match that isn't made ahead of time and promoted on TV? You could have a couple of weeks of the announcers selling the Coal Miner's Glove match as sure death for both competitors. You could have the two guys in the match talking about how brutal it is. That would be like WWE doing a pay-per-view and saying at the start of the broadcast, "oh yeah, CM Punk vs. Curtis Axel's gonna be a Hell in the Cell match, and it's up next!"

I only knew about the concept of a glove match because I'd seen one in the AWA a few years earlier between Col. DeBeers and Jimmy Snuka.  It was billed as a diamond miner's glove match (DeBeers supposedly being from South Africa, y'see) but obviously it was the same idea.

In any case, I suspect the Sting-Jake match would've sucked a dick regardless of the gimmick.

Why would you have a gimmick match that isn't made ahead of time and promoted on TV? You could have a couple of weeks of the announcers selling the Coal Miner's Glove match as sure death for both competitors. You could have the two guys in the match talking about how brutal it is. That would be like WWE doing a pay-per-view and saying at the start of the broadcast, "oh yeah, CM Punk vs. Curtis Axel's gonna be a Hell in the Cell match, and it's up next!"

True. I assume it wasn't built up for two reasons (neither of them good): the real gimmick of the match was the random wheel spinning aspect, and to emphasize any one particular outcome (let alone the CMG "winner") would have given away the work. They should have made a couple promo videos giving each option a few minutes with clips and talking heads putting over the danger. The other reason might have been that Bill Watts assumed that the nationwide audience was familiar with the ins'n'outs of thee Coal Miners Glove experience like a good Mid South crowd would have been. I think that all gimmick matches should be part of the curriculum for today's schoolkids, make 'em strong and smart, start a presidential cabinet on that, yeah.

- RAF