DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Observer/Meltzer Ominbus Thread

You call that "crude"? That's 1,000 better than my pitiful attempts at Photoshopping (or, more accurately, GIMPing). Bravo, sir!

That's actually pretty good.  You probably could legit get an entry job at an average TV.production market with similar skills. 

Seriously, what is with you guys trashing your work then showing it?  "I wrote a RAW review but it sucks but if you want to read it..."  "Here's some crude PhotoShop"..." Shit, show pride in your work.  It's a message board, we're going to shit on it for whatever reason because most of us are assholes, but deal with it. At least if you're going to post it, be proud of it.

If someone posts a link to something they wrote and then adds "eh, it's not that great, read it or whatever" or some similar bullshit, well, guess what?  I won't.  Because I'll take their word that it sucks.

Well in my case it is establishing a line. Then if someone attacks my shit, I am morally allowed to attack them. . 

• Like 1

You call that "crude"? That's 1,000 better than my pitiful attempts at Photoshopping (or, more accurately, GIMPing). Bravo, sir!

That's actually pretty good.  You probably could legit get an entry job at an average TV.production market with similar skills. 

Seriously, what is with you guys trashing your work then showing it?  "I wrote a RAW review but it sucks but if you want to read it..."  "Here's some crude PhotoShop"..." Shit, show pride in your work.  It's a message board, we're going to shit on it for whatever reason because most of us are assholes, but deal with it. At least if you're going to post it, be proud of it.

If someone posts a link to something they wrote and then adds "eh, it's not that great, read it or whatever" or some similar bullshit, well, guess what?  I won't.  Because I'll take their word that it sucks.

Well in my case it is establishing a line. Then if someone attacks my shit, I am morally allowed to attack them. . 

It's just a defense mechanism.  We've all grown accustomed to everything that gets shared online (opinions, videos, articles, pictures of cuddly puppy dogs) getting "that sucks ass" comments.  So everyone feels the need to preface things with an "awww shucks, I know this isn't good put I threw it together in my spare time..." warnings.

But when "in my spare time" is still better than 99 percent of the population could do, the other 1 percent need to shut the hell up and not nitpick something someone does for free to get a chuckle out of some guys on an Internet message board. That's why there's really no need to say it - anyone who would criticize your work, given the circumstances, is an asshat and best ignored anyway.

Loved that Dave spoiled the NJPW PPV result just because some New Japan guy said he didn't "get" wrestling.

What's the story with this?

Basically, someone at NJPW mocked him for believing Okada could/should win.

Guess ol Dave got worked then.

I enjoyed the Magnum TA talk, good reason to download the free show.  Does anyone else find it rather obvious that Bryan could care less when Dave talks about pre-Attitude era stuff?  He at least seems to show interest in the New Japan shows he doesn't care enough to watch.

I enjoyed the Magnum TA talk, good reason to download the free show.  Does anyone else find it rather obvious that Bryan could care less when Dave talks about pre-Attitude era stuff?  He at least seems to show interest in the New Japan shows he doesn't care enough to watch.

Bryan could definitely have a second career as a producer. He always seems to time his shows out to the minute (I can usually always skip to the 30-minute mark to avoid Granny appearances on the B&V show). I think he just knows Dave really well at this point, and that Dave doesn't need a second person to have a conversation.

He always engages Dave in the beginning of the show, but as they get into the middle section and especially during questions he seems content to run the clock out.

The shows with Mike are a perfect example of what it's like when Dave is talking unfiltered - they're over three hours long, and only end when Dave is too tired to answer any more questions.

Seriously, do you guys actually WANT Bryan to try to answer questions in the mailbag or try to talk history with Dave?  If you ever listen to him do WWE Classics recaps on the B&V show, it's almost mind boggling how little he knows about anything that happened before 1997.  He's doing us all a favor keeping his mouth shut. 

And the three hour Dave mailbags are far and away the best audio on the site.

• Like 2

The shows with Mike are a perfect example of what it's like when Dave is talking unfiltered - they're over three hours long, and only end when Dave is too tired to answer any more questions.

What is the problem with this?

I never said I wanted to hear Bryan talking history, just that it's pretty glaring that not only is it something he's ignorant to but doesn't seem to show much interest in learning.  He seems interested in the current NJ talk but seems to let Dave talk about history without asking questions as if he's trying to learn something about it.

From what I've heard of the Dave & Mike shows, they are MUCH preferable to anything with Bryan.  Does anyone look at Bryan as anything more than entertaining & opinionated personality who had enough foresight to start the website & figure out how to run podcasts?  I've never heard anyone that looks to him for the news or hard analysis.  I don't know that anyone would notice if he stopped doing his newsletter.

What is the problem with this?

I didn't say there was one. It's light years better than the new Monday show.

What's that say? Talk to the audience? Oh gawd, this is always death.

• Like 1

But on the plus side, once Dave starts answering questions, Mike stops talking.

When Mike first started doing shows with Dave and brought up Bronco McKart, I could forecast where those shows were headed. My only problem is that despite having three hours, they still try to fit too much into those shows (or Mike asks boxing questions that Dave isn't too interested elaborating on). That's probably because Sempervive doesn't do as much pre-show prep or planning as Bryan.

A few years back I spent some time in a men's mission where there was a mandatory chapel service every night.  There was one particular preacher who said "You know" incessantly, and one night, having nothing better to do, I decided to keep a running tally of them.  At the end of one hour, the count was +177 (figuring I probably missed a few).  So if we extrapolate from that number, we get a total of 531, which I believe Dave is perfectly capable of achieving.

• Like 2