DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Observer/Meltzer Ominbus Thread

Space is such a premium in newspaper writing, I'm guessing what gets through the editors there is a version with roughly one word left out of every eight Meltz sends them.

inch limit.

ggggggggggg.....why. is. it...so difficult...not. to. make. most....hack....joke......ever.........

okay...I think I'm okay....

I wouldn't want to seem like a newbie around someone who works in print journaliJUSTTHINKABOUTMAEYOUNG,DAVE!!!!!!!!PENISLENGTH@@@JWJJGDLKSJGSGOSJ SDB HALF CHUB OBOB EO O  L FL BNL:N

Posted Image

Oooohhhh God....That was necessary.

• Like 2

Can we rather critique Meltzer on more evenhanded territory, such as his response to the Volador/La Sombra mask match vis-à-vis his love for spotfesty, million near fall matches (random Dragons Gate crud, Michaels/Undertaker WM 25)?
It will be interesting to read Dave's first-hand comments instead of his second-hand reinterpreting what Carlos or Dr Lucha or Kris sent him.

Meltzer's comment on Sombra/Volador Jr's spotfest was stupid.  He's seen insane spotfest just on Dragon Gate and various indy shows and raved about them, yet this one didn't suit what he likes in wrestling.  His rant on these guys doing spotfests and possibly getting hurt makes  Dave sound like fucking Zbyszko nowadays. Injuries can happen with anyone at anytime. Look at La Sombra, he's done crazier spots (that dormilona into a somersault plancha on Tama Tonga) and doesn't get hurt, but he jumps over stupid Taichi and sprains his ankle. Didn't Orton break his arm or something punching the mat in the past?

I thought he was way off on Blue Panther (spending more time pointing out he's old) and he doesn't get Rush.

Also, by the way, that one guy who sent feedback and said Blue Panther looked old and looked like his grandpa...FUCK YOU...You wish your grandpa could tap young motherfuckers out with the nudo lagunero & teach you the proper way of maintaining your lazy ass in shape.

See now y'all made me angry...I'm gonna go watch TV...

• Like 4

Dave Meltzer obviously has a thing against lucha, but he's also a good guide for what's good throughout the ages.  Is there anyone that provides a similar service so I can easily identify the best of Mexican Pro Wrestling?

I don't think Dave has anything against Lucha Libre, he's just slightly out of touch with the current scene. Most of his comments link back to when he was an avid fan from the early to mid-90's.

In the Lucha Libre forum on this very site you can see threads titled 'Lucha Tuesday' where folks discuss the good & bad from everything that made TV that week in Mexico.

Can we rather critique Meltzer on more evenhanded territory, such as his response to the Volador/La Sombra mask match vis-à-vis his love for spotfesty, million near fall matches (random Dragons Gate crud, Michaels/Undertaker WM 25)?
It will be interesting to read Dave's first-hand comments instead of his second-hand reinterpreting what Carlos or Dr Lucha or Kris sent him.

Meltzer's comment on Sombra/Volador Jr's spotfest was stupid.  He's seen insane spotfest just on Dragon Gate and various indy shows and raved about them, yet this one didn't suit what he likes in wrestling.  His rant on these guys doing spotfests and possibly getting hurt makes  Dave sound like fucking Zbyszko nowadays. Injuries can happen with anyone at anytime. Look at La Sombra, he's done crazier spots (that dormilona into a somersault plancha on Tama Tonga) and doesn't get hurt, but he jumps over stupid Taichi and sprains his ankle. Didn't Orton break his arm or something punching the mat in the past?

I thought he was way off on Blue Panther (spending more time pointing out he's old) and he doesn't get Rush.

Also, by the way, that one guy who sent feedback and said Blue Panther looked old and looked like his grandpa...FUCK YOU...You wish your grandpa could tap young motherfuckers out with the nudo lagunero & teach you the proper way of maintaining your lazy ass in shape.

See now y'all made me angry...I'm gonna go watch TV...

I think in the same issue he went on to claim that Sting is an old guy who doesn't wrestle like an old guy. Yes, the same Sting who won't even wrestle without a t-shirt anymore. 

I'm interested in getting a subscription simply for acces to past issues, is it worth the price? How far back does the archive go?

I think it starts around 91 and is up to 96 now, along with some stuff from the last few years.

Issues from '84 on aren't hard to find if you don't mind using means we're not supposed to talk about.

Listening to the latest Brian & Vinny Show, and apparently Vinny doesn't know the difference between Rodgers & Hammerstein and Gilbert & Sullivan.

To be fair, if you took a poll, what portion of the population would? 5 percent? 10 percent, maybe? I don't.

Listening to the latest Brian & Vinny Show, and apparently Vinny doesn't know the difference between Rodgers & Hammerstein and Gilbert & Sullivan.

To be fair, if you took a poll, what portion of the population would? 5 percent? 10 percent, maybe? I don't.

You'd think guys who spend their days watching and writing about people punching each other in the face would have a keener appreciation of musical theater.

• Like 6

Bryan didn't know what Welcome Back Kotter was.  That's probably the one that surprised me the most.  I think I'm about the same age as Bryan and I recall that show being on repeat mode over the past 30 years. As a kid, did he never tell some kid, "Up your nose with a rubber hose!" Pretty sure Bryan was raised by wolves.

• Like 1