DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Observer/Meltzer Ominbus Thread

She got a permanent mark on her body signifying when she won a fake title with very little prestige around it. Taken by itself, it's not ridiculous to a fan, but I can totally understand why her fellow wrestlers and someone like Dave would think it's stupid, her dream or not.

She got a permanent mark on her body signifying when she won a fake title with very little prestige around it. Taken by itself, it's not ridiculous to a fan, but I can totally understand why her fellow wrestlers and someone like Dave would think it's stupid, her dream or not.

Different board, same result.

Nothing is more markish than "workers" having some unwritten code of how to act like a "real worker" and sitting around judging whether someone is conforming to it or not.

Except, maybe injecting who knows what into your body so your pecs pop better when the lights hit you because otherwise some 70 year old perv won't notice you and tell his daughter and her husband what a fucking stud you are.

Fucking marks, man.

BURN IT TO THE GROUND, AJ....OLD MEN, ROID JUNKIES, AND MARKS!!!! BURN BURN BURN!!!!!!

• Like 4

Nothing is more markish than "workers" having some unwritten code of how to act like a "real worker" and sitting around judging whether someone is conforming to it or not.

Except, maybe injecting who knows what into your body so your pecs pop better when the lights hit you because otherwise some 70 year old perv won't notice you and tell his daughter and her husband what a fucking stud you are.

Fucking marks, man.

BURN IT TO THE GROUND, AJ....OLD MEN, ROID JUNKIES, AND MARKS!!!! BURN BURN BURN!!!!!!

Completely irrelevant, but whatever.

Yeah, it's not like the men don't get tatted up everytime the wind blows. So she got a tattoo celebrating winning a worked wrestling title. CM Punk got a tattoo 'cause he likes Pepsi. I think the whole thing's a double standard, but what isn't?

Phil got that tat when he was 17 though.

He was like 36 when he won that the first time.

26 year olds take shit way serious that they might not later.  But that's a bug/feature thing depending on how you see it.  I don't want my 20 somethings to be as jaded as my nearly 40s.

I can remember promising all kinds of stupid shit in my early 20s that I never had to do...because I never actually did anything. ("Man, if we get that gig at the Blue Note, I'm gonna tell all those fuckers what a bunch of sheep they are and then I'm gonna set the stage on fire!!!!...Did we get the gig?  No?  Fuckers.")

If we've traded in young wrestlers jumping off of scaffolding into piles of wire and nails in favor of getting stupid totemic commemoration for how to be young, idealistic, and stupid about the business, then FUCK YEAH TATTOOOEEEES!

The real issue here is that JBL is still untouchable...goddammit I want that guy to show ass.

Yeah, it's not like the men don't get tatted up everytime the wind blows. So she got a tattoo celebrating winning a worked wrestling title. CM Punk got a tattoo 'cause he likes Pepsi. I think the whole thing's a double standard, but what isn't?

Phil got that tat when he was 17 though.

Using shoot names is a sure sign of a mark.  Also calling someone's real name a shoot name is probably a good sign that I'm a mark.

• Like 2

Did anyone ever post a quote of what Meltzer said?

Here Are Dave's comments:#1: "On the A.J. thing, this is going to break some hearts, but people who run wrestling companies laugh at wrestlers who are "belt marks" for undercard belts, especially when it comes to a pass-around belt vs. a main event belt that is given with the idea the person with it is anchoring business.Promoters throughout time feel that there are the guys who want to be paid and the guys who want a belt and they can pay whatever they want to them as long as they give them a make-believe pass-around belt.In both TNA and WWE there is that designation, given a few times a year from both sides in conversations that reference, which goes back longer than I've been following wrestling, has been around. One group is considered pros and the other group is considered fans who are on the roster and the belief is you can treat them very differently. There is an old saying about the latter group that you throw them a fish and watch them jump.For ones own career, even if they consider it an accomplishment, if you want respect, you don't sell it publicly behind the scenes, only in fake media interviews and on TV.Again, the world title (or the main event belt in any territory) is viewed entirely differently (although people who don't like Bret Hart would knock him over the same subject, but those people probably were going to find something to do that about either way, given I never heard anyone except Bockwinkel in fun, knock Harley Race over the same thing). I know of stories where someone in the industry will bring up to Lawler about all the belts he's won over his career and he immediately gives then a glare like they have no understanding of the business."....#2: "Rovert, outdated as in a conversation with someone about belt marks (their words, not mine, I hate using the word marks unless I can't come up with another word because the people who taught me hated the word saying the word is customers) on Sunday afternoon having to do with a different title belt in same said promotion?I need to stop talking to people who are in the decision making process. It's ruining me. Sorry the term belt marks isn't known to everyone. Outdated as in a term used currently within both major companies as well as in Japan and Mexico. I'd have written about it before except for my aversion to using the term historically."....#3:"I know this is all silly and stuff, but when people bring up guys who win the Olympics or "If Ronda Rousey did it" winning the UFC title like it's the same thing is just weird.When Brock Lesnar was asked, what was the biggest thing to him, winning the NCAA title, the WWE title or the UFC title, his response was, "One of those wasn't real."If a child who wanted to be a doctor growing up ended up getting a minor part in a movie, when he had previously had bigger parts, where he played a doctor who won a fictitious scripted Nobel Prize for Medicine, and then announced he was getting a tattoo to commemorate his getting a Nobel Prize, the highest honor possible and greatest accomplishment in his life, what do you think the real world would think?Why they'd say, of course that's great, because there was nothing higher he could do in his career then win a Nobel Prize in a small movie role that somebody scripted for him. And the people who bring up he's had bigger parts and that it was scripted would be decried because they are the ones out of touch with the real world, and not understanding as a child when he thought movies were real, that he dreamed of winning a Nobel Prize."

Here Are Dave's comments:

#1: "On the A.J. thing, this is going to break some hearts, but people who run wrestling companies laugh at wrestlers who are "belt marks" for undercard belts, especially when it comes to a pass-around belt vs. a main event belt that is given with the idea the person with it is anchoring business.

Promoters throughout time feel that there are the guys who want to be paid and the guys who want a belt and they can pay whatever they want to them as long as they give them a make-believe pass-around belt.

Why are the worst people in the world now the people whose attitudes we're all supposed to adopt? 

"If you don't think about this in this one way, then the biggest asshole con-artist worm-fuckers on the planet will look down on you!"

Good.  That's probably a good sign.

Unless your entire goal in life is the be the biggest carny dick on the planet, then yeah, keep in the game and don't enjoy anything ever and maybe, just maybe you'll die without anyone ever getting over on you.

• Like 6

Raven also had the capability of winning titles more prestigious than the Hardcore title, which AJ doesn't have.

Really, fuck Meltzer and anyone else giving AJ a hard time for loving the business enough to actually care that she won the most prestigious belt she is eligible to win. You people deserve Kelly Kelly or whichever fitness model on your television screen week in and week out.

Also, every single person that posts on this board is a mark, including myself and every worker. I thought as a board we were past the serious use of that word, but apparently not. You're posting on the internet about pro wrestling. You're a mark. Let's move on.

• Like 9

Here Are Dave's comments:#1: "On the A.J. thing, this is going to break some hearts, but people who run wrestling companies laugh at wrestlers who are "belt marks" for undercard belts, especially when it comes to a pass-around belt vs. a main event belt that is given with the idea the person with it is anchoring business.Promoters throughout time feel that there are the guys who want to be paid and the guys who want a belt and they can pay whatever they want to them as long as they give them a make-believe pass-around belt.In both TNA and WWE there is that designation, given a few times a year from both sides in conversations that reference, which goes back longer than I've been following wrestling, has been around. One group is considered pros and the other group is considered fans who are on the roster and the belief is you can treat them very differently. There is an old saying about the latter group that you throw them a fish and watch them jump.For ones own career, even if they consider it an accomplishment, if you want respect, you don't sell it publicly behind the scenes, only in fake media interviews and on TV.Again, the world title (or the main event belt in any territory) is viewed entirely differently (although people who don't like Bret Hart would knock him over the same subject, but those people probably were going to find something to do that about either way, given I never heard anyone except Bockwinkel in fun, knock Harley Race over the same thing). I know of stories where someone in the industry will bring up to Lawler about all the belts he's won over his career and he immediately gives then a glare like they have no understanding of the business."....#2: "Rovert, outdated as in a conversation with someone about belt marks (their words, not mine, I hate using the word marks unless I can't come up with another word because the people who taught me hated the word saying the word is customers) on Sunday afternoon having to do with a different title belt in same said promotion?I need to stop talking to people who are in the decision making process. It's ruining me.Sorry the term belt marks isn't known to everyone. Outdated as in a term used currently within both major companies as well as in Japan and Mexico.I'd have written about it before except for my aversion to using the term historically."....#3:"I know this is all silly and stuff, but when people bring up guys who win the Olympics or "If Ronda Rousey did it" winning the UFC title like it's the same thing is just weird.When Brock Lesnar was asked, what was the biggest thing to him, winning the NCAA title, the WWE title or the UFC title, his response was, "One of those wasn't real."If a child who wanted to be a doctor growing up ended up getting a minor part in a movie, when he had previously had bigger parts, where he played a doctor who won a fictitious scripted Nobel Prize for Medicine, and then announced he was getting a tattoo to commemorate his getting a Nobel Prize, the highest honor possible and greatest accomplishment in his life, what do you think the real world would think?Why they'd say, of course that's great, because there was nothing higher he could do in his career then win a Nobel Prize in a small movie role that somebody scripted for him.And the people who bring up he's had bigger parts and that it was scripted would be decried because they are the ones out of touch with the real world, and not understanding as a child when he thought movies were real, that he dreamed of winning a Nobel Prize."

I'm sure there's something interesting in here, but the god awful grammar makes it such a chore to read. How is it possible that Dave could write the Observer for all this time and yet be such an incredibly shitty writer?

Favorite exchange from last night's show:

Meltzer: Are you getting married?

Alvarez: I'm already married!  YOU WERE THERE!

It should have continued:

Meltzer: Oh, yeah.  Slick was pretty funny in that wasn't he?

Alvarez: Jesus Christ, Dave What is wrong with you?

Meltzer:  What?  Who did the run-in on that, I forget?  Was it Fatu and Bishoff?  Oh wait...you guys got a snake in a box at your reception right?

Alvarez:  Yes, Dave.  Eric Bishoff and a Fatu sent us a snake in a box and it killed slick. 

Meltzer:  Yeah.  I thought that's what it was.

• Like 1

I'm sure there's something interesting in here, but the god awful grammar makes it such a chore to read. How is it possible that Dave could write the Observer for all this time and yet be such an incredibly shitty writer?

He doesn't have to improve - no one's on his ass to make him improve, he's his own boss. He could've probably learned something had he been paying attention during the time when he wrote for The National Sports Daily, 'cause they probably had some pretty good copy editors putting his stuff through a wringer.

I've been working at the same newspaper for 13 years now, and we have one writer who was there when I got there who hasn't improved not one single, solitary whit since I got there 13 years ago. How do you do something for 13 years and not get better at it? She makes the same stupid mistakes now that she made way back when. All she has to do is keep a copy of her unedited stuff, then compare it to the edited version, then work on those weaknesses. But why should she? No one in management is making her, no one cares. It's more work for the editors, but screw us, who cares about us?