DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Observer/Meltzer Ominbus Thread

I wonder when JBL or Lawler will tell A.J. that the championships are just props.

Championships are acknowledgements of a person's effort. If someone received an employee of the month and got the perks that went with it, I bet they'd be just as overjoyed as she is. Half the people on this board would kill for having the recognition of being a fictional champion in a wrestling promotion.

Oh good grief, you are misguided with that thought process.  You think effort is rewarded with championships...in other words, the hardest workers get the titles?  Not even close.  

• Like 1

There were several times where he would fight with Bryan over something for like 2 minutes when it was obvious what Bryan meant. (this is where I am wishing I had posted it right away since I am blanking on the exact context).

I don't know the "several times" to which you're referring but the Raw recap got sidetracked for like 3 minutes right off the bat because Bryan kept saying Christian "got beaten down" by the Shield to which Dave kept stressing "a PHANTOM beatdown" because we didn't actually see it. I only remember it because I, too, got extremely annoyed that Dave kept harping on this stupid point.

The only only other instance where I remember him being a goofy stickler is when they were discussing the storied lineage of the WWE Divas title - a title which was unified with the Women's Title which you'd think a "renowned wrestling historian" would remember - and when Bryan brought up stuff like Debra holding it, Dave argued with him that the title only dates back to 2008.

Speaking of which, I tried to avoid commenting on the AJ thing so all I'll say is she's not the first woman to take winning the Women's title very seriously. I remember several of them crying (Kelly, Trish, Beth) when they won so she's hardly the first to take it quite seriously. Yeah, there was the Russo-rific era when they gave it out in Evening Gown matches but they also had the IC title change hands in a Good Housekeeping Match so I'd hardly hold that era against it.

The whole talking point of "It's a fake belt that they give you" is stupid, though. I just listened to Austin's podcast with Kevin Nash and they both talked about how they sat in their hotel rooms staring at the World title after they won it. I'm not saying the prestige is the same but as Bryan tried to point out, if you're a little girl who grew up idolizing Lita and Trish, winning the Divas/Women's belt is pretty much the equivalent. 

The Austin and Nash title wins happened back in the day, before David Arquette, the Miz and Vince McMahon has won the world title.  

I haven't had an observer sub in years but between the Rob Ford arm wrestling match:http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/08/22/rob-ford-to-arm-wrestle-steely-biceped-wwe-star-hulk-hogan/and this amazing commercial:http://youtu.be/sYTOT4BNYVo I'd like to lobby for Hogan as promoter of the year. 

There needs to be a DVDVR Tournament for thee Mostest Carny Worker of Them All. This video cements Jimmy Hart's entry, but is it a foregone conclusion that Hogan would win? Off the top of my head, other contenders could be HHH, Heyman, Raven, SMichaels, Lawler, Terry Taylor. Note: in my eyes, "carny" is decidedly NOT necessarily pejorative; like most of the other lingo of the rassling world, it has several shades of meaning and definition.

- RAF

I wonder when JBL or Lawler will tell A.J. that the championships are just props.

Championships are acknowledgements of a person's effort. If someone received an employee of the month and got the perks that went with it, I bet they'd be just as overjoyed as she is. Half the people on this board would kill for having the recognition of being a fictional champion in a wrestling promotion.

Oh good grief, you are misguided with that thought process.  You think effort is rewarded with championships...in other words, the hardest workers get the titles?  Not even close.  

That's not what he's saying.  He's saying the title is an acknowledgment from the company that they think you are the best person to carry that belt.  For most wrestlers winning a big title is seen as the culmination of the years of hard work and sacrifice they've put in.  It's a personal accomplishment even though they didn't "win" the title in an actual athletic contest.

• Like 2

How exactly am I misguided? I didn't say the hardest workers get the titles, what I am saying is that the people who get the title are happy being champions and in cases like AJ, she is living her lifelong dream, who are you to shit on it?

So I've been watching a lot of old Memphis on YouTube, and I've been having trouble getting into it because Jerry Lawler is the most unlikable face that I have ever seen. Every promo, every angle. Worse than Hogan, Sheamus, Rocky Maivia, Del Rio, anyone. Nothing he does makes me root for him and everything he does makes me wish someone would just beat the shit out of him...how was this sustainable in the territory for as long as it was?

There were several times where he would fight with Bryan over something for like 2 minutes when it was obvious what Bryan meant. (this is where I am wishing I had posted it right away since I am blanking on the exact context).

I don't know the "several times" to which you're referring but the Raw recap got sidetracked for like 3 minutes right off the bat because Bryan kept saying Christian "got beaten down" by the Shield to which Dave kept stressing "a PHANTOM beatdown" because we didn't actually see it. I only remember it because I, too, got extremely annoyed that Dave kept harping on this stupid point.

The only only other instance where I remember him being a goofy stickler is when they were discussing the storied lineage of the WWE Divas title - a title which was unified with the Women's Title which you'd think a "renowned wrestling historian" would remember - and when Bryan brought up stuff like Debra holding it, Dave argued with him that the title only dates back to 2008.

Found those hilarious.. the emphasis on phantom beatdown cracked me up. "And they beat up Christian." "No they didn't beat up Christian!"

So I've been watching a lot of old Memphis on YouTube, and I've been having trouble getting into it because Jerry Lawler is the most unlikable face that I have ever seen. Every promo, every angle. Worse than Hogan, Sheamus, Rocky Maivia, Del Rio, anyone. Nothing he does makes me root for him and everything he does makes me wish someone would just beat the shit out of him...how was this sustainable in the territory for as long as it was?

Hometown hero?

It was like that almost everywhere in the 80s. People love bullies and assholes. Wrestling is wish fulfillment. 

That's a good point.  Back in my markish days, I hated Lawler.  The motherfucker kept a chain in his boot when he was a babyface!

I didn't really get Meltzer's point about AJ being such a mark when he's such pals with Bret Hart, the King of All Marks for Himself. He was making fun of AJ for being so excited to hold a title held by such "greats" as Kelly Kelly, but it's the only title AJ can win. She can't help it if the booking's been crap. It was just a little too condescending for no real good reason.

• Like 2