DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Observer/Meltzer Ominbus Thread

And my interview on Wrestlefolks for a completely different take on things! /shill

How did you end up doing commentary for AIW? Did you just happen to go to the shows or do you have some "input" on the company's workings?

Also, link for the wrestlefolks thing?

The podcast can be found here: http://wrestlefolks.wordpress.com/

As for AIW, after CHIKARA shut down, I half heartedly looked for more work and they were the only ones to reach out to me. They have a show this Friday headlined by Michael Elgin vs. Drake Younger and Kevin Steen vs. Ethan Page, check them out, they're awesome!

http://aiwrestling.com/tgif.php

/lastshill

I have been checking them out, and they are indeed awesome! That's how I knew you were doing some commentary over there.

Who was Davey Richard's replacement? Edit: Kyle, sweet.

The podcast can be found here: http://wrestlefolks.wordpress.com/

As for AIW, after CHIKARA shut down, I half heartedly looked for more work and they were the only ones to reach out to me. They have a show this Friday headlined by Michael Elgin vs. Drake Younger and Kevin Steen vs. Ethan Page, check them out, they're awesome!

http://aiwrestling.com/tgif.php

/lastshill

Not the last schill.

Whole heartedly recommend it. I admire the candor.

• Like 1

Can anyone say what the hang ups in the Sting/WWE negotiations were?  I think it was mentioned on todays radio show.  Thanks...

Sting is willing to sign, but WWE doesn't view him as a big deal and no one is really in a big rush to sign him.

Dave seems to think that the earliest they'll do a match with him is next year's WrestleMania, and by then he won't be that big of a deal anymore (because of how they will book him, of course).

He painted a pretty bleak picture if someone was excited about him coming in and being similar to what he was as crow Sting. Sounds like the plan is to use him as a comedy guy/GM, and it'll sort of be a waste.

• Like 1

And my interview on Wrestlefolks for a completely different take on things! /shill

Any time you're on with Tom Green, Kevin Ford, Uncle Mike and Tom is fantastic. I enjoyed your short-lived podcast with Vin Gerard as well..

I appreciate the perspective that non-wrestlers have of everything they deal with in the wacky world of wrestling.

• Like 1

Can anyone say what the hang ups in the Sting/WWE negotiations were?  I think it was mentioned on todays radio show.  Thanks...

Sting is willing to sign, but WWE doesn't view him as a big deal and no one is really in a big rush to sign him.

Dave seems to think that the earliest they'll do a match with him is next year's WrestleMania, and by then he won't be that big of a deal anymore (because of how they will book him, of course).

He painted a pretty bleak picture if someone was excited about him coming in and being similar to what he was as crow Sting. Sounds like the plan is to use him as a comedy guy/GM, and it'll sort of be a waste.

That's pretty sad - and a blow to people who were fantasy booking him to end the streak (or, at least, wrestle Undertaker in one of the top matches at WrestleMania).

I can see the WWE's perspective on this one.  Sting will be 55 in a month, was last a bonafide main eventer in 1998, and wasn't a huge draw for TNA.  Add in how much time he's taken off in the last 15 years and the company is probably right to wonder how many of its fans remember Surfer/Crow Sting that well.

If they're just going to use him as a midcard comedy guy (Ugh.  Sting teaming with Santino.  Ugh.), I'd prefer to see him just sign a legends deal so he eventually gets a WreslteMania hof spot and a DVD compilation.

Sting is also balding, not in cosmetic shape (He's been wrestling in a t-shirt for years now) and can't go more than 10 minutes without sucking wind. The mythical Taker match that people have been hoping for isn't going to happen and if it does will end up as his worst WM match.

I would be happy if Sting just appeared at the HOF to induct Warrior and pose for pictures with Flair, Arn and Steamboat.

Flair and Arn then turn on Sting as he never learns ; ).

At HOF, Sting poses with Flair and Arn. Flair and Arn turn on Sting.

Next year, Sting is inducted... by Ricky Steamboat. Arn Anderson freaks out.

• Like 4

Sting hosting WCW based shows on the Network seems like the best idea that has been tossed out that doesn't involve Horsemen beat downs and Ricky Steamboat surprise appearances.

Would he dress as Surfer Sting or Crow Sting depending on the topic? Or just as real estate steve?

Sting hosting WCW based shows on the Network seems like the best idea that has been tossed out that doesn't involve Horsemen beat downs and Ricky Steamboat surprise appearances.

Can they have those anyways?

Would he dress as Surfer Sting or Crow Sting depending on the topic? Or just as real estate steve?

Or Joker Sting when he does his Heath Ledger impression for a WWE standup comedy show?

It's one thing for Sting to just throw on a t-shirt and face paint to wrestle for TNA one weekend a month. It's another to actually be working Wrestlemania or something. I'm sure Sting would start hitting the gym in anticipation got a WWE run.

Main Event Mafia Sting would work:

sting.jpg

• Like 1

I would enjoy Sting coming in before WM in street clothes to promote the network, and get attacked by 3MB. He shows up next as JokerSting and gets overpowered again. He cycles thru his other personas/gimmicks/wardrobes weekly until finally at WM we get SurferSting getting his revenge in the sorbet* match.

aaawwwoooo,

RAF

*a "sorbet match" is a palate cleansing, often nostalgic or comedic match between important bouts, but is still satisfying and entertaining. It is not to be confused with a "popcorn match" which is rejected by the audience and entirely skipable. 

Yeah, the thing with Crow Sting is that the second he started wrestling again and cutting promos then it was basically over. Him coming to the WWE as the apocalyptic ass-kicker that took down the nWo was always going to be a dodgy issue because the entire build-up would just be Undertaker and Sting pointing to the WM scene and then pointing to each other with either a bat or a cut-throat hand gesture for 7 weeks.

Bringing Sting in as a GM or Legend, or having him do a one-off match or squash a couple of jobbers is fine and what he certainly at the least deserves. It's so weird that he's best remembered as the silent Crow character because that was, in hindsight, such a small part of his career.