DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 9: Johnson vs. Benavidez (12/14/2013) - Sacramento, CA (Sleep Train Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

When was the last time a 10-7 was handed out?

Of the top of my head, I remember a Nam Phan beating where he got handed one.  And Joe Lauzon got the some in his fight with Michael Johnson.  I think he even got the phantom 10-6.

Does this make Team Alpha Male the record holder for worst record in UFC title fights in all of MMA?  Because previously they were tied with Team Cesar Gracie at 0-4.  

I feel bad for Benavidez.  I don't know where he can go from here.  Losing to Johnson the first time clearly crushed him, and this time he got starched.  He could always hope that Dodson or someone else wins the title which could fast track him again.  But with how Johnson has continued to improve and grow, I wouldn't count on that.

• Like 1

Mighty Mouse gets my vote as fighter of the year.

Johnson is up there. Other contenders are Chris Weidman if he can beat Anderson Silva again, Anthony Pettis and Vitor Belfort.

I feel bad for Benavidez.  I don't know where he can go from here.  Losing to Johnson the first time clearly crushed him, and this time he got starched.  He could always hope that Dodson or someone else wins the title which could fast track him again.  But with how Johnson has continued to improve and grow, I wouldn't count on that.

Benavidez's position reminds me of Junior dos Santos, two defeats to the Champion. Both can do with somebody else beating the champ.

Junior at least has the benefit of having beaten the guy who is champion to win the title and had a good run as champ.  Benavidez has now lost two UFC title fights and his WEC title fight.  That kind of puts him in Kenny Florian territory.  I'm not trying to knock Kenny because he was always a quality, top-ranked fighter, but he lost three major title bouts.

how the hell did only one judge give Castillo a 10-8 for rd 1? if that's not a clear example then i don't know what is

Its not like he should have won the fight

it makes the difference between a loss and a draw. He CLEARLY earned that 10-8 round, even if he was totally outclassed the next 2.

basically, if that round isn't a 10-8, then what does it take to get one? Or god forbid a 10-7?

The fight shouldn't have been a draw either.  I don't know what to tell you.  There shouldn't have been a scoring difference between the first and second rounds.  Whether you have them both 10-9 or 10-8 it doesn't matter.  The right guy won the fight. 

UFC on FOX ratings

Ratings were not good, as the show did a 1.0 in the target 18-49 demo and 2.41 million viewers in the overnight ratings.

Keep in mind this number will be adjusted upward slightly because it covers Fox stations on the West Coast from 8-10 p.m., when the show aired from 5-7 p.m. It also would not cover the period after 10 p.m., although the show didn't go much past that point so the change won't be as big as usual.

The number should beat the lower rated shows FOX has done in the summer, but is greatly below the football season numbers, which on fast nationals usually are just under 4 million viewers.

Credit: f4wonline.com

"Earned" might be stretching it as Zuffa has a definite Team Alpha Male bromance going on.

Umm...Have you been watching these fights?  Faber basically mauls everyone without a belt, Mendez just beat a guy without the ability to breathe and Joe B. is probably the second best flyweight in the world.  How much more do you want these guys to do?

• Like 1

Is there anyone in MMA who flips the switch as hard as Faber does when a fighter is hurt? His instincts are so razor sharp and he swarms the instant there is blood in the water. It's awesome to watch.

• Like 2

Is there anyone in MMA who flips the switch as hard as Faber does when a fighter is hurt? His instincts are so razor sharp and he swarms the instant there is blood in the water. It's awesome to watch.

It's fun to see Faber do this particularly how it went down in this fight with Faber chasing a hurt McDonald and locking in his signature Guillotine choke for the submission win.

He does have that ability to swarm without getting too reckless. It's quite something. 

Anderson is definitely good for that, and Erick Silva. Donald Cerrone, when he wins, tends to do it impressively. 

Cain, in non-JDS matches, tends to dot the 'i's and cross the 't's, too.

• Like 1

The old Chute Boxe guys who are still around like Shogun, Wanderlei, and Anderson. But Faber's finishing ability is definitely up there.

• Like 2