DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: 2 COLD SCORPIO

RIPPA

As a kid for whom the only wrestling on TV for ages was WCW Worldwide, Scorpio was tremendous. 7/8 year old me was always super pumped for Scorpio and Bagwell matches. He was the first guy I'd really seen do any serious flippy stuff - everything was slick and well executed but Scorp seemed to have this odd physical looseness at the time that made him look a bit reckless.

Can we have Nasty Ned as wrestler of the day at some point?

Some of the stuff he did back then still holds up today. Growing up in DC, it was rare that I saw someone that "looks like me" be represented in one of the major companies. This dude was always the talk during the lunch hour in elementary school. And then we used to jump off of matresses outside for recess. Loved this dude.

I'm like Lazlo, when I was a young kid Scorpio was the first guy I had ever seen do flips & stuff during matches, I thought he was pretty awesome but even as a clueless kid I could see he wasn't going to be better than mid-card w/ WCW. I'm one of the few who did not ''discover'' ECW until the last few years & I'm currently watching a comp of Scorpio in ECW. Some of the matches against Guerrero,Benoit, Malinko, & Sabu are outstanding... as for his Flash Funk stint in the WWF I'm not a fan at all.

Scorpio seemed to the the best timing and execution of moves for a long time.  My favorite 2CS spot was in ECW during the 4-way TV Title match, when he caught Chris Jericho with a dropkick to the head while Jericho was in mid-Lionsault.  I still haven't seen anyone replicate it.

EDIT: check out 20:05 of the spot on Pete's video

Why didn't he make it higher?   He's at least a guy who should have been a US title-level guy.

His Mic skills weren't great, but he wasn't Hardy bad.  

The "easiest" answer was that instead of going to WCW when they were grabbing all the guys similiar to him (Jericho, Benoit, Eddy, Malenko), he went to the WWF.

Now it is possible he burnt bridges after his first WCW run (or had enough bad memories) and that is why the WWF was more appealing to him. Or maybe a WCW offer never came.

Either way - it the WWF was the wrong place for him at that time.

His WCW debut was something else: subbing for Hurricane Walker in the (sigh) ghetto odds handicap match teaming with Ron Simmons against Barbarian, Cactus Jack, and Tony Atlas, he worked the entire match with Jim Ross not knowing what to call him, to zero crowd reaction.  UNTIL.  The finish.  Oh, that finish.  And just like that, he was a star.

• Like 3

His WCW debut was something else: subbing for Hurricane Walker in the (sigh) ghetto odds handicap match teaming with Ron Simmons against Barbarian, Cactus Jack, and Tony Atlas, he worked the entire match with Jim Ross not knowing what to call him, to zero crowd reaction.  UNTIL.  The finish.  Oh, that finish.  And just like that, he was a star.

Exactly what i was going to say

Pete, I was about to say the same thing.

The million dollar question:  How do the ECW 2 Cold Super Worker Miracle Matches hold up?  Let's take a look.

And the first Eddy Guerrero match I ever saw- this live:

• Like 2

Why didn't he make it higher?   He's at least a guy who should have been a US title-level guy.

His Mic skills weren't great, but he wasn't Hardy bad.  

The "easiest" answer was that instead of going to WCW when they were grabbing all the guys similiar to him (Jericho, Benoit, Eddy, Malenko), he went to the WWF.

Now it is possible he burnt bridges after his first WCW run (or had enough bad memories) and that is why the WWF was more appealing to him. Or maybe a WCW offer never came.

Either way - it the WWF was the wrong place for him at that time.

According to his shoot he had a big time crack addiction during his Flash Funk run.

Seeing his more recent indy work in IWA-MS he adapted to getting older and doing less flying by developing a much stronger ground/striking game.  He was also a lot more successful overseas than he was in WWF/WCW which probably kept him away as well.

He was his own worse enemy if he was addicted to crack during his WWF days. Though, the Flash Funk gimmick wasn't much either.

He wrestled in my favorite ECW match against Shane Douglas at Matter of Respect in 96. Really great wrestler who could mix tons of different styles and go with a variety of guys.

By just a matter of chance - I was watching the 97 Rumble yesterday and Scorpio wasn't afraid to take a HUGE elimination bump as Vader gave him a fallaway slam over the top rope and Scorpio just fucking flew.

The lack of gif tells me the internet doesn't care

Everyone knows where they were the first time they saw the 450 Splash.

I missed the Clash where he debuted but saw him in a squash match the following weekend. My jaw dropped like a cartoon character when he hit that thing.