DVDVR Message Board

All things STAR WARS~!

ultimoDANK

They came in originally Force Invisible using all Bio-tech, basically a religiously zealous pain/disfiguring loving technology hating race.  They curbstomped the Republic, took Coursant, then the tide started turning when the Remnant and Chiss threw in with what was left of the Republic.  That, and Han and Leia's kid figured out how to see them in the Force.

The swerve final boss, along with killing off a couple fan favorate characters (including Chewbacca) is what makes people hate them.

But the Vong were nothing compaired to Traviss-written Mando's.  Talk about fucking Mary Sue's.

I'll defend the Thrawn trilogy as being pretty damn good.

That concludes the list of thing from the EU I've read that I will defend, although there are some other things I liked.

• Like 1

Beginning to get excited about Star Wars Rebels. Promising news in the past week about Mara Jade being in the cartoon and then going forward as the mother of Ben Skywalker.

I'm not sure people shitting on the EU have read more than 2 of the books. There are a stack of well written, interesting characters. Talon Karrde, Raynar Thul, Tahiri Veila, Vestara Khai. The list goes on and on...

Beginning to get excited about Star Wars Rebels. Promising news in the past week about Mara Jade being in the cartoon and then going forward as the mother of Ben Skywalker.

I'm not sure people shitting on the EU have read more than 2 of the books. There are a stack of well written, interesting characters. Talon Karrde, Raynar Thul, Tahiri Veila, Vestara Khai. The list goes on and on...

I'm also really excited for Rebels, I don't think The Clone Wars gets its due for how good it was.  I really like the inclusion of Mara Jade, and it shows that despite what they say they aren't going to just start burning the EU down just to do it.  Thre are plenty of characters from the EU that are viable that I would love to see in the next trilogy. I agree with everyone you listed, but would also like to say someone needs to get their pruning shears out and trim just about all of their stories. 

If you had the editor's pen, what would you keep and what would you throw away?  First and foremost, I would keep the extended Skywalker/Solo families in tact.  There is no reason to try to create new characters and piss off their core fans.  Jacen's story is the thing they really have to make a decision about, but even then enough time has passed that they could explain what happened with him between VI and VII or even better make that the next animated series. 

I want Thrawn in the new movies so bad. . . 

I do too, but I think that Ford/Hamil/Fisher are just too old to tell that story.  They have to set up the Solo Skywalker kids in order to move forward.  I'd love for them to have a new animated series that fills in the gaps between movies.  Episodes IV-VI all happened in a pretty condenced amount of time, so I think the next series after rebels could fill in the Thrawn/Mara Jade/Jacen Solo stuff, that they can't fit in the movies. 

This might make me a few (more) enemies here, but what the hell. Recently watched Jedi again, and I can now definitively say that Sith is the better movie. The Endor scenes **REALLY** drag everything else down. I know George was going for "Guerrilla-warfare takes down advanced imperialist empire," I get it, but it's still really fucking brutal. In contrast, I like Sith more and more every time I watch it, the ending is really just fantastic, even with

darth-vader-nooooo.jpg

The Ewoks bring down Jedi like the Anakin/Padme shit brings down Clones. I still remember being in theaters for that and the entire audience bursting out laughing when Anakin has the wet dream with his mom. If someone had the sensibility to tell George to cut down the majority of that plotline, Clones is thoroughly enjoyable. It's just so obviousl that the Ewoks were there to move merchandise.

My one complaint about Sith's ending is that given the tone of the film, the final scene should've been Vader/Palpatine/Moff overlooking the Death Star, and not on Tattooine.

I actually won't argue with that.  I don't know which way I'd go if I watched them today, but the Ewoks are pretty damn terrible.

Final battle shoulda been on Kashyyyk with the Chewie = Exiled Royalty sub-plot as the Starkiller Kid drafts intended but mother fuckers wanted to sell toys.

• Like 1

That doesn't seem to be that umcommon of a belief. RotS being so good is a big part of what annoys me when people just shit all over the prequel trilogy.

I'm curious to see what they do with the remaining Clone Wars episodes, how many there are. You'd think they would want to hurry up and put those out so we can kind of leave that era in the past.

One of the few pop culture things that can actually anger me is when people claim Return of the Jedi is better than Empire Strikes Back, which is not only the best Star Wars movie, but is a top 3 Sci-Fi movies of all time.  I'd say Revenge of the Sith is the third best film after Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope.  Phantom Menace is terrible, and I never need to watch it again.  Attack of the Clones is better than Phantom Menace, but nowhere close to good.

• Like 1

The arena fight scene is better than anything in PM.

No, Obi Wan and Darth Maul (Ray Park > everyone, Duel of Fates playing in the background = Epic) going head to head beats anything in Clones.  Second best fight of the franchise behind Obi Wan vs. Anakin in RoTS if you completely ignore the bad science of the Jedi using a fighting style that is totally ignorant of the fact that their traditional weapon has an omni-directional cutting surface.

If you factor in "smart science," then the best lightsaber brawl is Luke vs. Vader in Empire Strikes Back since they both fight with the fucking plasma torch pointed away from themselves and always towards the other guy.