DVDVR Message Board

All things STAR WARS~!

ultimoDANK

I was less bothered by how they did Saw and more the weird ignoring of the character he was pissed at murdering a dozen or so rebels. Even taking into account his reasons it was kind of bullshit to treat him as nicely as they did.

Why is it that every hero in every drama has to have a mentor who's a father figure to them, but it's never their actual Dad? Are scriptwriters saying that if you want your kids to be heroic, it's your duty as a parent to die horribly while they're very young?

When I eventually get around to writing the script about a non-Maverick cop who follows all the rules and isn't an alcoholic fuck-up or anything, I'll make sure he has a great relationship with his Dad. And his Step-Dad. And his Grandad too.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, AxB said:

Why is it that every hero in every drama has to have a mentor who's a father figure to them, but it's never their actual Dad? Are scriptwriters saying that if you want your kids to be heroic, it's your duty as a parent to die horribly while they're very young?

When I eventually get around to writing the script about a non-Maverick cop who follows all the rules and isn't an alcoholic fuck-up or anything, I'll make sure he has a great relationship with his Dad. And his Step-Dad. And his Grandad too.

Isn't this a fundamental part of the Epic archetype?  Going back to like Northrop Frye in lit. studies it was like

1) a young boy who is an orphan or outsider

2) receives a visit from a stranger

3) who informs him he has a special ability and is the only "chosen one"

4) and takes him to a strange world

5) where he has to train to defeat a dark force terrorizing his world

6) that ends up being related to him somehow

7) and kills his mentor

8) and is defeated only after the boy also dies and comes back to life

I know it's not as pat as that but mix and match those steps (and twist one or two as needed) and you have an awful lot of stories

Yeah, but that's what I'm saying. Everyone's telling the same story over and over. Why not tell a different story? If all heroes are orphans then therefore only orphans can be heroes. So all parents must die, to ensure the heroic future of humanity. And that previous sentence is a Supervillain motivation nobody but me has ever invented. 

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Yeah, but that's what I'm saying. Everyone's telling the same story over and over. Why not tell a different story?

They tell similar stories, but not the same one.

Luke Skywalker and Bruce Wayne are both heroes and orphans.  Is their story the same?  Not really

3 hours ago, AxB said:

If all heroes are orphans then therefore only orphans can be heroes.  So all parents must die, to ensure the heroic future of humanity

Not all heroes are orphans.  For example, Perseus was the product of a single parent household.  His father just happened to be a fickle god that couldn't keep his toga tied.

I always found it amusing that Hera gets such a bad rep in Greek mythology when all she does is try to keep her husband's constant adultery in check.

Thor comes from a stable, if privileged, household as IIRC Frigga is the mother of all of Odin's children and there is nothing in the folklore that mentions anything about Odin sleeping around.  Apparently that was Loki's job.

There isn't enough space for a full blown discussion of the hero's journey, but the reason that orphans make for compelling protagonists is because that tragedy gives their story gravitas. 

The loss of parental guidance sometimes leads to poor choices, so our orphan hero doesn't necessarily begin his journey with the purest of motives, so it is the journey itself (and the people they meet along the way) that transforms them.

Campbell (or Jung)  would probably say that it goes in the other order.  We don't just keep telling the same story because we're only allowed to tell it, but we feel bound to it because it still has a specific mythic power, meaning it still helps us work through some cultural idea or issue that is deep seated in us. JAWS, for instance, is basically BEOWULF isn't it? So while the details of BEOWUL may seem foreign and bizarre to us, there is something to the core of the story that still resonates.

For whatever reason, it still makes a powerful connection to us to have a hero who must uncover their identity through the quest. There are heroes with pasts and families though, like Maximus in GLADIATOR. That is another type of trope.  The hero who is called (or forced) to service and must abandon/lose family in favor of civic obligation. That story is even told in music in Beethoven's Symphony No. 3, complete with funeral for the hero after his death.

Myths remain unchanged (or very similar) as long as the myth has a cultural power.  They change over time but only when some aspect of the myth stops having that cultural power. They change to keep them relevant.  Thus, the parts that don't change are still relevant.

There is adaptation.  On a smaller scale, for instance, something like the Zombie film, which is essentially the same over and over too, used to signify a cultural anxiety about collectivism/communism/totalitarianism but today it has changed to resonate with fears of pandemics and biological terror. It will change when it has to or it will die out as a genre/archetype.

• Like 1

My friends and I were talking about the non-episodic Star Wars movies and we thought that the biggest missed opportunity will be that we likely will never get a 10 Cloverfield Lane style horror movie set in the Star Wars universe. With all of the creatures in that universe and the creepy locales, that franchise is ripe for a horror movie, but Disney would never sign off on something remotely close to an R rating. Rogue One and, like, a Pirates of the Caribbean movie are as close as Disney will get to that.

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

There is adaptation.  On a smaller scale, for instance, something like the Zombie film, which is essentially the same over and over too, used to signify a cultural anxiety about collectivism/communism/totalitarianism but today it has changed to resonate with fears of pandemics and biological terror. It will change when it has to or it will die out as a genre/archetype.

Indeed.  This is why the post-apocalypse genre has survived by transitioning from the nuclear holocaust scenarios of the Cold War to the pandemic and climate apocalypse scenarios of today.

28 minutes ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

I'd like to see a movie about Wookies where the dialogue is only in wookie, and there are no sub-titles. A little orphaned Wookie is visited by an older Wookie who becomes his mentor......etc, etc,etc.  

This happened in miniature when the Ewoks cartoon was a thing.  I am still trying to purge it from memory.

• RIPPA locked this topic