DVDVR Message Board

All things STAR WARS~!

ultimoDANK

https://books.google.com/books?id=_MMqAwAAQBAJ&pg=PT142&lpg=PT142&dq=luke+skywalker+is+a+nerd+and+darth+vader+sucks+runny+eggs&source=bl&ots=O4FaQXU2VI&sig=sn9L_vioTcG8QXWzRBB1REZer-A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjInd6h6d_JAhXHSyYKHevIDto4FBDoAQgbMAA#v=onepage&q=luke%20skywalker%20is%20a%20nerd%20and%20darth%20vader%20sucks%20runny%20eggs&f=false

You want a review, here's one. Harlan Ellison is a national treasure and will burn your childhood love in effigy just because he can. And yes, I like Star Wars. Posting this is like Harvey Keitel in Bad Lieutenant calling the church a racket and asked if he's a Catholic then saying yes and smiling, but I can't resist. 

EDIT: this is about the original Star Wars, when it came out, so chill. Read it first and then put me on 'ignore'

EDIT II: Reading this, all of his arguments are the reasons I despise Independence Day

It took some of yall too long to be excited about this film, but I'm glad you're here with me on the train now.  I'm at the front though; with jellybeans. 

I hope we don't crash.

Yall finally believe now.  Finally. 

It's so beautiful.  These delicious jellybeans.

I have an 1145 showing tonight. No reserved seating at the imax so I am standing in line mother fuckers. Luckily my buddy's wife works at the Alamo and has reserved parking so that is one headache we don't have to deal with.

Saw Episode 7 tonight. Loved it. Details in spoiler thread. In the leadup was trying to rewatch 1-6 but ran out of time and only finished prequels. Honestly I think they get a bad rap. Palpatine's play and Anakin's arc are genuinely amazing stuff killed by hammy, narmy clinch scenes. But there's a lot of good stuff there. I had really detailed thoughts posted to my Facebook which I'll grab when not mobile.

The really interesting thing to me is that the films act as though you haven't seen the original trilogy, so until Anakin figures it out in Episode 3 there isn't any confirmation that Palpatine is Darth Sidious. The first two don't even really tease it. Had the payoff been better executed, that could have been an "I am your father" level reveal to someone going 1-6 on their first watch. Alas.

Also, to the question of that 18% RT Score abomination, I genuinely like all three prequels (in spite of their flaws) and I thought that Clone Wars movie was an unrelenting pile of shit. 'Stinky' Hutt makes Jar Jar look like Chewie.

To the best of my recollection, The Emperor was never called Palpatine in the original films either.

But lord Episode 1 makes absolutely no sense at all if you don't know that.

Without that knowledge, Episode I is about a Sith Lord starting a war because the Sith are evil.

With that knowledge, said Sith Lord is attacking his own home system knowing it will get stuck in the Senate, force the leadership change, and he'll get in on sympathy for his home system being under fire.

That said, Amidala goes back to the fight (and wins) before the later stages of his plan play out, causing him to take a decade to design a new plan with failsafes and redundancies on both sides. The Clone Wars investigation stuff is SUPER COOL but it requires you to put the pieces together yourself and doesn't do much to connect the strings so I didn't realize how intricate the plan was until the most recent rewatch.

Also the Hubris of the Jedi is amazing. They talk about Anakin bringing balance to the Force not realizing that a hundred plus Jedi against two Sith (and maybe a handful of dark side practitioners) is wildly imbalanced. Yoda is the only one who brings up the fact they may have misread the prophecy slash heard what they wanted to hear.

Anyway, there's so much cool shit in the prequels that it's frustrating the delivery wasn't better.

• Like 3

the Alamo

Yeah, the motherfuckin Drafthouse. You have good movies running hot and cold on tap where you live Will, so you wait in line. YOU WAIT in LINE.

Hahaha... no, I meant the real fucking Alamo. Davey Crockett motherfucker! My best friend's wife runs the Women's Museum in coordination with the Alamo and has free parking. 

From re-watching the original trilogy, I'm surprised Lucas didn't go back to ep 4 and add in scenes of the Emperor actually disbanding the Galactic Senate, instead of us just hearing about it in a Death Star staff meeting. Or put Jimmy Smits in old man makeup and let us watch the destruction of Alderaan from Bail Organa's POV.

Also, what did Bail tell Leia about his role in the Clone Wars? Because she seems to think that the Jedi were below him in the chain of command. And how is she a Princess if her (adoptive) father isn't a Prince, King or Emperor?

From re-watching the original trilogy, I'm surprised Lucas didn't go back to ep 4 and add in scenes of the Emperor actually disbanding the Galactic Senate, instead of us just hearing about it in a Death Star staff meeting. Or put Jimmy Smits in old man makeup and let us watch the destruction of Alderaan from Bail Organa's POV.

Also, what did Bail tell Leia about his role in the Clone Wars? Because she seems to think that the Jedi were below him in the chain of command. And how is she a Princess if her (adoptive) father isn't a Prince, King or Emperor?

Now that I think about it, does Vader ever refer to her as a princess?  C3PO does, and therefore so do Han and Luke, but C3PO knows that she is a descendant of royalty based on her mother.  Could that be one of those things we never really notice like Vader never being in the same room as C3PO and R2D2?