DVDVR Message Board

All things STAR WARS~!

ultimoDANK

The one thing that sort concerns me is JJ Abrams talking about Luke Skywalker being a myth and legend to the heroes of the film because it takes place 40 or however many years later. That's not really a very long time for the original trilogy to enter into myth and legend.  Also...if the kids are related to those heroes...

I get it, everyone is on a nostalgic high and ready to love Star Wars again.  Everyone that hated the prequels or disliked them a lot believes this will give them that high those films never reached similar to the original films.  But these attitudes are very similar to how fans were feeling before Phantom Menace came out.

I bought my tickets.  I dig the trailers and admit that they "feel" like real Star Wars.

I also remember the prequels, I remember JJ's Star Trek, and I have the bitter taste of turning the EU into Fan Fiction in my mouth.

I'm hoping to be blown away, but I'm prepared for this to completly suck.

Ok i got around to starting my Star Wars adventure by watching IV last night. Really enjoyed it, found myself laughing a lot more than i thought i would. A loud cheer slipped out when Han Solo returned right at the end. Episode V tomorrow.

• Like 1

Ok i got around to starting my Star Wars adventure by watching IV last night. Really enjoyed it, found myself laughing a lot more than i thought i would. A loud cheer slipped out when Han Solo returned right at the end. Episode V tomorrow.

It's so rare to find someone that has never seen the films, that I am legitimately looking forward to your take on each one.

• Like 1

It's so rare to find someone that has never seen the films, that I am legitimately looking forward to your take on each one.

Thanks man. I found myself a bit lost for the first 10 minutes but really got into it after that. Spent all day then thinking "where do they go from here"...

I'm trying to get my lady friend to watch them. She is considerably...ummm....younger than me, so I'm hesitant to have her watch them, because I'll never talk to her again if she doesn't like them.

I was watching the bonus disc on the Blu-Ray boxset, and there's a collection of Star Wars parodies and tributes from across TV and film. One scene is two guys in Have I met your Mother saying exactly that.

Also, Mila Kunis pops up in a Stormtrooper suit at one point.

I'm trying to get my lady friend to watch them. She is considerably...ummm....younger than me, so I'm hesitant to have her watch them, because I'll never talk to her again if she doesn't like them.

I was watching the bonus disc on the Blu-Ray boxset, and there's a collection of Star Wars parodies and tributes from across TV and film. One scene is two guys in Have I met your Mother saying exactly that.

Also, Mila Kunis pops up in a Stormtrooper suit at one point.

Yeah, there's an entire How I Met Your Mother Episode based around I believe Ted testing the girl he's dating with Star Wars.

I'm hoping y'all are joking.  I can't imagine falling out of a relationship because she didn't like Star Wars.

Mind you, i've seen the Star Wars films, but am not a particularly big fan.  I couldn't pass a Star Wars trivia test if my life depended on it.

Empire Strikes Back is the bomb, loved every bit of it. I knew the ending (who doesn't?) but that took nothing away from it. Will probably have to watch it again to clarify but it enters the list of my favourite films ever. Would most people share this view?

Now, do i follow on to episode II like 'machete order' says?

Empire Strikes Back is the bomb, loved every bit of it. I knew the ending (who doesn't?) but that took nothing away from it. Will probably have to watch it again to clarify but it enters the list of my favourite films ever. Would most people share this view?

Empire Strikes Back is a movie I've seen probably 100 times, and I'm always surprised about how damn good it is.  It is the perfect 2nd act.  My biggest problem with movies these days is that the stakes are never high enough, Empire Strikes Back raises the stakes of the Star Wars franchise higher than any other movie I've ever seen.  A New Hope ended with a huge triumph, you felt like the Rebel Alliance had it made.  Empire Strikes Back smacks the shit out of the Rebels and leaves them laying face down in the gutter, half dead, and bleeding from the mouth. 

Empire Strikes Back is a movie I've seen probably 100 times, and I'm always surprised about how damn good it is. It is the perfect 2nd act. My biggest problem with movies these days is that the stakes are never high enough, Empire Strikes Back raises the stakes of the Star Wars franchise higher than any other movie I've ever seen. A New Hope ended with a huge triumph, you felt like the Rebel Alliance had it made. Empire Strikes Back smacks the shit out of the Rebels and leaves them laying face down in the gutter, half dead, and bleeding from the mouth.

Thats probably the part i like the most, near the end i was like "the good guys have to win right?" and "Han is going to ok, please tell me he's ok!!" and then afterwards i realised it all made perfect sense because its a set up for whatever happens in Episode VI.

One reason im glad i finally started watching SW is Harrison Ford, was never really a big fan of his but that opinion has been turned 180.

I just started my daughter on it, and going to go Machete Order, but I'm including Episode I, because it happened, and you can kinda pick up where there was supposed to be character development and foreshadowing in there, just Lucas' clunky dialogue failed the story.  

I would personally go straight to Return of the Jedi.  I get the idea of the machete order, but I think the initial trilogy needs to stand on its own.

• Like 1

Honestly, if it's your first time, I still watch Episode I.  Is it great? No, but it still has some merit.  Qui-Gon Jinn is a great character, the fight scene at the end is well done, and there is actual character development.  I still say go machete if it's your first time, but only from a narrative perspective.  Otherwise, starting with the original trilogy is the best way to go.

I would personally go straight to Return of the Jedi.  I get the idea of the machete order, but I think the initial trilogy needs to stand on its own.

I agree with this. Watch the two trilogies separately. 

Ok, watched and finished Return of the Jedi with a fresh head. Enjoyed it but i have SO many questions about episode VII now!

Didn't know what to make of the Ewoks at the start but the story turned out ok. Han Solo was a bit too cheesy for me at times, Luke was the fucking man though. Why the fuck was Hayden Christiansen there at the end with Yoda and Ben though???

In terms of ranking of original trilogy id say;

Empire (top 10 all time now for me)

Jedi

A New Hope