DVDVR Message Board

All things STAR WARS~!

ultimoDANK

She will look fine with a little make up.  Now Harrison Ford and Mark Hammil may need a complete CGI make over. 

I don't think her looks are what people are really worried about.  She seems to be as unstable mentally and emotionally as anyone in Hollywood and betting on her to be a pillar of your multi-million dollar franchise is probably not a good idea. 

Looking at it, the Ford, Hammil, and Fisher are at an appropiate age for where the books are now.  Course, that removes a couple of characters that have been floating around and a ton of shit will have happened that most people wouldn't know about, but that's not outside the realm of possibility.

I know there's a "well, not a lot of people read the books so who cares if they're used".  Let me tell you, nothing pisses off people (and I'm meaning the 76 or so authors who spent time and a ton of effort writing all those books) more than basically telling them their work didn't count, especially all the hoops SWEU authors had to jump through to write their stuff.  

You don't piss off people that brought the franchise $1.8 billion.  (or the $2.9 billion from the games.)

You don't piss off people that brought the franchise $1.8 billion.  (or the $2.9 billion from the games.)

The $1.8 Billion figure is for ALL Star Wars books, including the uber expensive art books, and everything related to the six films.  The average EU book sells around 35K copies, which is equivalent to a second string comic these days.  I think they'll be OK if they annoy these fans.

She will look fine with a little make up.  Now Harrison Ford and Mark Hammil may need a complete CGI make over. 

I don't think her looks are what people are really worried about.  She seems to be as unstable mentally and emotionally as anyone in Hollywood and betting on her to be a pillar of your multi-million dollar franchise is probably not a good idea. 

You do realize they're all going to be supporting characters, not leads. She's also been properly medicated as of late for her mental illness(es), She's written 2 really entertaining books about it.

When you do work for hire, you either realize that you don't own the properties and they could be changed at a moment's notice, or you're an idiot.

George R. R. Martin wanted to do a Doctor Strange story. His only major term was that it would be canon forever and no one could ever, ever change or undo it. Marvel said no. Having a) that in the path of their ability to tell stories and B) setting that precedent for future writers wasn't worth it to them for one project, no matter what that project was.

You don't piss off people that brought the franchise $1.8 billion. (or the $2.9 billion from the games.)

The $1.8 Billion figure is for ALL Star Wars books, including the uber expensive art books, and everything related to the six films. The average EU book sells around 35K copies, which is equivalent to a second string comic these days. I think they'll be OK if they annoy these fans.
Again. Those hardcore fans take to social media with their anger and the whole thing just grows and grows. I can't believe Disney wants the hype to begin with that. The more we hear the more I believe we get Jaine, Jacen, Mara Jade, and maybe even Ben. They won't pick it up where the books are for many reasons. #1 being that Chewbacca will be in this movie.

My personal feeling on adapted characters is that I'd rather not see a character I like used if I don't think they're going to use them how I want. Do you think just including the idea of some of these characters will make the fanbase happy or will it just piss them off more if they're not how they want?

If the new Solo daughter is a marketable disney princess that appeals to 10 year old girls?

The CGI toon of THE ADVENTURES OF JACEN AND JAINA SOLO is just waiting there to be put on DisneyXD.  Money on the table there for the taking.

If the new Solo daughter is a marketable disney princess that appeals to 10 year old girls?

Jaina, wouldn't be the princess...but Allana(Jacen's daughter) on the other has been prophecized as a queen who is going to bring balance to the galaxy.  

There is a lot of different directions the series could go, that would allow the EU fanboys and the Disney marketing machine.  They can do almost anything with the cast of characters that is already created.  Changing everything around would piss off enough people that it would make some sort of impact even if it isn't some huge catastrophic financial impact.  The only reason to change the already established characters would be to piss their long time fans off.  The EU doesn't really handicap them in any real way.

Given the age of Han & Leia a 10 year old daughter in these movies would be a pretty hard sell. Now if you establish Jaina and Jacen then JT has a really good idea.

Given the age of Han & Leia a 10 year old daughter in these movies would be a pretty hard sell. Now if you establish Jaina and Jacen then JT has a really good idea.

I didn't necessarily mean that the character had to be 10, just that she'd appeal to the ten year olds. That said, maybe they'd want to go with a ten year old character that has nothing to do with any preexisting ones more than with Jaina or Jacen. That's kind of my point. 

I think an original character comes in the villian. Does it have to be a Sith threat? Something tells me they'd like to create a new Darth whatever.

A wild card is Ahsoka Tano. They left her wide open and she's pretty popular. Her meeting Luke and Luke learning more about preVader Anakin could be interesting.

...but Allana(Jacen's daughter) on the other has been prophecized as a queen who is going to bring balance to the galaxy.   
Oh, boy!

Stuff like that is just SO not what I want out of more Star Wars. Yet another prophecy of a chosen one, yet another Darth Whoever who will never be as good as the original, yet another oppressive government that must be overthrown...If any or all of those are a part of the new trilogy, they can just keep it. It would just be really sad to have a playground as big as the Star Wars universe, yet be stuck telling the same damn stories over and over again.

• Like 2

I think an original character comes in the villian. Does it have to be a Sith threat? Something tells me they'd like to create a new Darth whatever.A wild card is Ahsoka Tano. They left her wide open and she's pretty popular. Her meeting Luke and Luke learning more about preVader Anakin could be interesting.

The villian is 100% what we should be worried about in regards to the next trilogy.  The biggest problem with episodes 1-3 is that there is not a legit threat that made the audience care about what was going on.  A new Sith would be cool, but I think the Mandalorians could be interesting.  A bunch of Boba Fett looking, super technologically advanced warriors, who are have a death vendetta against the Jedi.