DVDVR Message Board

All things STAR WARS~!

ultimoDANK

• 2 weeks later...

I've honestly never seen him act, but if Jacen is going to the darkside, I'm not sure a pretty boy like Zac Efron could pull it off.  Not to mention that Jacen is older than Ben and Gosling is almost a decade older than Efron.  If the two of them changed places, I would probably be OK with it.

Am I the only one who thinks that it would be better if the original cast should be minimized and all the concentratration should be on the younger generation.  Does anyone really want to see a fat Luke and a crazy Leia run around with a senior citizen with an earring Han Solo?  Unlike Luke, Leia, and Han...Lando Calrissian gets better with age.  Someone put the Colt 45 on ice and bring back Billy Dee Williams.

Zac is a surprisingly good actor.  He's just got the HSM backlash against him.  Still.  For some reason.

He also was in Firefly. That should negate the HSM hate.

I must have missed something. Last I heard was that they were doing a new set of films, JJ was directing the first, they want the original trifecta back for the first in some kind of role and they are pretty much confirmed. 

We are sure of other characters in the movie already or is this all just hypothesizing?

Because they are good characters? Why start over when you have an established rich world you can pull bits and pieces from? Luke having a wife who isn't named Mara Jade would be dumb and a slap in the face to your most hardcore fans. We've been over this...

I'm really excited for these films, whatever they turn out to be. As a guy who like the original trilogy but never really got into anything besides watching the movies, Ep. 1-3 were terrible for me. My little brother was into them pretty hardcore, but I was in that weird age group where I wasn't alive for the first films original runs and probably a little to old to think Ep. 1 and Jar Jar and the kid were cool.

Basically, these films are a way for me to actually get into Star Wars while it's happening and might even be my gateway into the extended universe and novels and all the gloriously nerdy shit I've missed out on. I'm excited.

i kind of want to get into it again, but from a more practical standpoint. If there was some way to go back in time and do the Thrawn trilogy with the original actors when they were close to the right age, great. That ship has sailed.

Right now Mark Hamill is 61. Harrison Ford is 71. And hard living has made Carrie Fisher somewhere around 124. Basically, it's impossible to lay the groundwork to establish a lot of the EU elements that you'd want in a movie set thirty years after Jedi. Yes, you have to establish those years somehow, but given all the twists and turns in the EU, I think a more streamlined version made to serve the movie itself makes far, far more sense than trying to make the movie serve decades of stories that only touch a small percentage of the audience, the sort that'll come no matter what. Cornette's hardcores. There's very little gain narratively in appealing to them as opposed to a broader base in this situation. Toss them some cameos and in-jokes that won't hurt the story. Maybe if some character really makes sense, toss them in, but these are characters that were built organically over the years through the EU novels and the movie won't have that time to go back and explain them to a new audience in a movie. It would make more sense to start fresh with something that serves the story that they're telling now and that can be introduced through more traditional narrative means.

On a cost/benefit level, I just don't think it makes sense even if I get why people who have emotionally invested themselves into these novels want it to make sense.

Well one thing that will have to be scaled back from the EU is Han & Leia involvement. Luke can be covered in robes and hidden alot better. Plus I'm putting alot of hope and faith in "movie magic" being able to deage the original 3 a little bit. Original 4 throwing Lando in there.

They want to release this thing in 2015 which seems very ambitious. One way to possibly speed development up is partially adapting something. Adapting source material is working really well on TV right now by the way. Also we saw what an uproar there was over Greedo shot first. Where is the benefit in enraging your most vocal fans? You can say that's a small number but today that doesn't mean as much. The hardcores start bitching on twitter then people who are more casual Star Wars fans see that and latch on. Next thing you know it's a whole controversy, a joke in some shitty Leno monologue.

How great was it talking about "What do you think the clone wars were?" in say 1988. You drop in a reference to the Thrawn crisis to get people curious then make an animated movie down the line.

I'm not looking for a faithful retelling of the books. That would actually be kinda boring. I just want them to pull bits and pieces. I'm fully prepared to lose everything post Chewbacca dying.

Did the Greedo uproar cost them a cent?

Also, if they have to make that many allowances, adaptation may be harder than going original. They can and should look at what worked and what didn't work on some narrative level.

I don't know. it's a hard balance to hit. There will be people in the fanbase that will be pissed if they do adapt something and then don't do it the way they wanted.

Well one thing that will have to be scaled back from the EU is Han & Leia involvement. Luke can be covered in robes and hidden alot better. Plus I'm putting alot of hope and faith in "movie magic" being able to deage the original 3 a little bit. Original 4 throwing Lando in there.They want to release this thing in 2015 which seems very ambitious. One way to possibly speed development up is partially adapting something. Adapting source material is working really well on TV right now by the way. Also we saw what an uproar there was over Greedo shot first. Where is the benefit in enraging your most vocal fans? You can say that's a small number but today that doesn't mean as much. The hardcores start bitching on twitter then people who are more casual Star Wars fans see that and latch on. Next thing you know it's a whole controversy, a joke in some shitty Leno monologue.How great was it talking about "What do you think the clone wars were?" in say 1988. You drop in a reference to the Thrawn crisis to get people curious then make an animated movie down the line.I'm not looking for a faithful retelling of the books. That would actually be kinda boring. I just want them to pull bits and pieces. I'm fully prepared to lose everything post Chewbacca dying.

I agree with just about everything you said here.  The actual EU stories are fairly irrelevant to me despite the fact that I keep finding myself following them.  The characters on the other hand are worth keeping, based on the fact that changing all of the characters would cause more problems than it is worth.  The fun part to me is that the original 4 are so old that it could be set further in the future than most of the EU is set any way so they could(should) create all new stories.  I would be all for them starting with Jaina and Ben being the focus and filling in the gaps with animated series/movies.