DVDVR Message Board

All things STAR WARS~!

ultimoDANK

On 9/14/2016 at 0:06 PM, RIPPA said:

Turner now has the TV cable rights to all the movies

Since its always fun looking at box office numbers, I'd love to know what Turner and Starz! paid. Obviously this is an extreme example but for movies on the bubble these TV deals could make or break them (clearly not the case with Star Wars). But I honestly don't know if they get paid 50 million or 500 million for these kind of deals (multi-movie rights). Only thing I could find was that it was for an 'estimated' 200 million. Its a hell of a coup for them though to lock in the rights for all the movies.

They are wasting no time, here is the TNT schedule for next week showing the older movies:

Spoiler

vsy64eH.jpg

If you like The Force Awakens, I'd strongly recommend Before the Awakening by Greg Rucka. It gives a lot of context into the political situations with the First Order and the Republic. It fills in a few plot holes of the movie too.

The North Korea comparisons become a lot more obvious when you read about Finn and all his experiences.

We see how lazy the Republic has gotten and how inept they've always been: Poe essentially spends most of his section trying to tell them: "These people are really, really dangerous!" and is continually ignored to the point he eventually throws in the towel and heads for the Resistance. 

Even Rey's chapter, arguably the weakest of the three, tries to explain how she picked up all these mad skills. Something many fans have complained about.

I might read Bloodline next. I've heard Rian Johnson contributed to a few of the ideas and they'll come up in the next sequel.  

• Like 1

I've been meaning to get to those.

I'll also recommend the rebooted comic books. I've been reading the collected versions of them. The main Star Wars book has been great, but the Darth Vader comic was awesome. So good.

On 9/23/2016 at 8:41 AM, Reed said:

If you like The Force Awakens, I'd strongly recommend Before the Awakening by Greg Rucka. It gives a lot of context into the political situations with the First Order and the Republic. It fills in a few plot holes of the movie too.

The North Korea comparisons become a lot more obvious when you read about Finn and all his experiences.

We see how lazy the Republic has gotten and how inept they've always been: Poe essentially spends most of his section trying to tell them: "These people are really, really dangerous!" and is continually ignored to the point he eventually throws in the towel and heads for the Resistance. 

Even Rey's chapter, arguably the weakest of the three, tries to explain how she picked up all these mad skills. Something many fans have complained about.

I might read Bloodline next. I've heard Rian Johnson contributed to a few of the ideas and they'll come up in the next sequel.  

Is that a novel?

Was just watching a bit of the opening of Revenge of the Sith on TNT for their Star Wars Marathon. I swear they sped it up, as the crawl seemed to be going faster than normal and some of the other shots during the space battle seemed a bit too quick moving, as well. I know that a lot of networks will speed up shows, like Seinfeld, by like 1.2x or something like that so they can squeeze in just a bit more ad time, but this seemed way more than "normal", like 1.5x or more. Maybe it's just me.

Like when Titanic came out on VHS, and loads of people couldn't work out what scenes had been excised to cut the running time from 2 hours 75 minutes (that's what the poster said) to 3 hours 4 minutes. And it was just that film is 24 fps, and VHS was 25.

1 hour ago, Raziel403 said:

Rebels premier was good.  Thrawn was everything I could've hoped for.  Kinda annoyed they blazed through Ezra's dark side corruption in one episode though.

I keep meaning to binge-watch the first two seasons so I can watch it this season in real-time. Seems up my ally.

7 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Rebels premier was good.  Thrawn was everything I could've hoped for.  Kinda annoyed they blazed through Ezra's dark side corruption in one episode though.

FYI for trivia

longtime voice-over director Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, who also voices Julia in the English version of Cowboy Bebop, was the voice of Governor Pryce for the premiere.  She's also the girlfriend of Steven Blum aka Zeb aka Spike Spiegel.

On 9/25/2016 at 3:49 AM, just drew said:

Is that a novel?

Basically, yes. It deals with Finn, Rey and Poe's lives before the movie.

It ain't exactly risque, but nor is it a children's book either. (At one point, Finn has to witness a group of striking minors coldly murdered in front on him and Rey implies she got raped on Jakku.)   

• Like 1

I liked the Poe chapter especially because it confirms the idea: No, the Republic isn't as overtly evil as the Empire. (They aren't building giant death ray machines, for instance, and do believe in democracy.)

But they are utter, utter fools. That's how Palpatine took over in the first place.  

Does it go into Leia begging and pleading the Republic to do something, anything about the First Order or how the Republic lets the Resistance do it's thing so Leia stays out of their hair?

I mean, knowing the backstory to the Republic, it's hard to feel that bad about them getting wiped out (although I still feel bad for how many innocent people had to die). They had for-fucking-ever to do something about the First Order. Instead, the Empire fell, they fought them back to the outer rim, and were like, "we're good here, no evil will EVER return." Meanwhile, Poe, Leia, and others point out repeatedly the kind of problem the First Order is and the Republic's response is to stick their fingers in their ears.

And the Republic was basically financing the Resistance off the books, right? I wonder what happens with that going forward? Maybe Leia chokes out a bunch of Hutts and embezzles money from them?

8 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

FYI for trivia

longtime voice-over director Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, who also voices Julia in the English version of Cowboy Bebop, was the voice of Governor Pryce for the premiere.  She's also the girlfriend of Steven Blum aka Zeb aka Spike Spiegel.

Thought I recognized her voice. Didn't realize she was divorced and dating to Blum now. Always pleased to hear her in shows.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2016 at 3:21 PM, Craig H said:

Does it go into Leia begging and pleading the Republic to do something, anything about the First Order or how the Republic lets the Resistance do it's thing so Leia stays out of their hair?

I mean, knowing the backstory to the Republic, it's hard to feel that bad about them getting wiped out (although I still feel bad for how many innocent people had to die). They had for-fucking-ever to do something about the First Order. Instead, the Empire fell, they fought them back to the outer rim, and were like, "we're good here, no evil will EVER return." Meanwhile, Poe, Leia, and others point out repeatedly the kind of problem the First Order is and the Republic's response is to stick their fingers in their ears.

And the Republic was basically financing the Resistance off the books, right? I wonder what happens with that going forward? Maybe Leia chokes out a bunch of Hutts and embezzles money from them?

Poe is the one begging and pleading with them to do something. He's repeatedly warned off and told to be a nice, quiet government employee. 

Leia is (vaguely) tolerated and has some respect because of who she is and her history - she gets a meeting with Poe as soon as she asks - but she's clearly not valued too much either.

The funding question is interesting. The First Order seems to think they are funding them, hence their actions in the movie. But The Republic spend most of the time rolling their eyes at the Resistance and treating them like a black sheep.  

I read a couple of issues of the Poe Dameron comic: It's implied The Resistance have money and resources, but not that much money and resources. I think the Republic helped them out a little. But they weren't enthusiastic and thought it was a waste of their time. 

I know we have a books thread (which is weird for a wrestling board) but... is there a good site/list anywhere with authorized books (preferably not comics) under the new canon? I fell behind with the books before, and since they are released so quickly its hard to catch-up once behind so I'd like to stay current this time.

Edit: I guess I could trust wikipedia, although I'd rather it be from something that can't be edited by just anyone. Also if there are any sites that review/recommend such books I'd be interested in that too, as already there have been more than I thought.

Member when the action figures cost $3.88 at Toys R Us?

I member!

(I actually remember that specific price because GI Joes cost the exact same amount and so that information sticks with me like glue for some reason.)

• Like 3

We were dumb when we were kids.   The Death Star playset seemed epic when you're twelve years old.

header.jpg

Then you grow up and get smart about architecture and engineering and realize that the set up for the Death Star playset is all wrong..

Why the fuck is the Garbage Masher easily accessible from the Master Firing Station via a fucking trap door? 

Was this thing built by the same engineers that built ships for the Trade Federation?

My kid brother chewed up all of the foam bricks that went into the garbage masher.  I couldn't beat the shit out of him because it was Christmas, so I stole one of his Micronauts.

• Like 3

Yeah, but compared to Castle Greyskull, it was the shit. The Ghostbusters HQ is still the best. Ghostbusters HQ > GI Joe HQ > Death Star > Castle Greyskull.

And while not a "base," I had fond memories of the Millennium Falcon.

• Like 1