DVDVR Message Board

All things STAR WARS~!

ultimoDANK

Got opening night IMAX tickets.

Not sure how I feel about lightsabres and shrieking fans. Have I made a huge mistake?

Honestly, that has kept me away from opening night.  I saw AotC and RotS on opening day, but that was before midnight showings were really a thing.  First in like was 10am on a Wednesday, and the fanboys weren't out in full force around here at that hour.  No way I'd deal with these assholes.  Sunday matinee is fine for me.

I quite enjoyed ST: Into Darkness.  I'm not a Trek fan, though, so I'm not very familiar with the changes to canon. 

I'm really surprised Star Wars is still a thing.  I had no idea it was still that big a thing to people.

HERETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So basically the prediction for Force Awakens is $414 million opening weekend?

If so that is fucking insane!

and honestly being surprised Star Wars is "still a thing" is kind of ridiculous. This movie has been on the pop culture radar since Lucas sold to Disney

James

A bit of perspective: the record that it broke by eight times over was only Fandango's, and the movie it broke the record of wasn't Jurassic World, but rather the first Hunger Games.

It's going to open huge, but to break the all time record, it also needs legs. Word of mouth and repeat business.

Typically, Christmas blockbusters open smaller and run longer than summer ones, but this is poised to destroy the first of those two.

A bit of perspective: the record that it broke by eight times over was only Fandango's, and the movie it broke the record of wasn't Jurassic World, but rather the first Hunger Games.

It's going to open huge, but to break the all time record, it also needs legs. Word of mouth and repeat business.

Typically, Christmas blockbusters open smaller and run longer than summer ones, but this is poised to destroy the first of those two.

It's Star Wars. Repeat business is guaranteed.
  • Like 3

It's Star Wars. Repeat business is guaranteed.

For sure. But is it going to get Revenge of Sith repeat business or Avatar repeat business?

I think part of the marketing strategy was to move it from the summer, when movies burn hot to start and then drop fast, to the winter, when movies last longer, to capitalize of "Avatar repeat business". Look James Cameron's 2 biggest movies were reperat busienss in the winter, where Titanic was this monster hit and just stayed in the top 10 for something stupid like 4 months

James 

I think it depends on what the opening day is. So with my movie theater it lists opening day as Friday, December 18th.  It had an option for Friday or it had an option that said "See it early" which is the 17th and the earliest showing is 7:00pm.  I opted for an early showing on Friday instead of Thursday night.

I'm hedging my bets that my luck holds out. I live a town over from where I used to. Both have theaters that tend to do 8pm showings of major releases the Thursday prior to 'official' release. My childhood home was good, but for some reason my current one? NO ONE goes. We're talking every Marvel release, every Hunger Games, every big blockbuster. It'll sell out Friday, Saturday, and Sunday following but not Thursday which will be half full at most.

What I'm saying is that my plan is to swagger into that showing without preordering and see how that goes.

As for the trailer? It sure is Star Wars. I grew up on the VHS remasters of the original trilogy. Phantom Menace hit when I was 11 and thus I loved it at first. Podracing and lightsaber stuff were awesome, who gave a shit about the rest. At some point when I got older it lost the 'magic' to me and I'm not entirely clear why. So I mean, I'm jazzed for this. It looks great. But I don't have the same buzz for it that I do for a lot of comic book films. Probably because between the EU and not seeing the prequels as a departure, it doesn't feel like a long time since that itch was scratched.

I think at most theaters the first showing is 7pm.  Looks like they knew they would need more show times to accommodate the 12/17 early release. Either way, this thing is going to be huge for the first 2 or 3 weeks.  People will be on Holiday break all around the world.  No way this doesn;t shatter all the box office records.