DVDVR Message Board

Your Tokyo Sports match of the year for 2013 is...

Attila The Hut

Aren't the Tokyo Sports choices usually political? Like when they went with Onita/Goto vs Tenryu/Hara (which was awesome) one time or the BJW death match a few years back?

Holy cow I LOVED that. Hadn't watched it until just now. Has a good story and it's gotta be one of my favorite Ibushi performances, especially from a character stand point. His face when he did the cutthroat motion was sick. Like he decided all of sudden that Nak was just some bitch that needed to be put out of its misery. Probably the coolest thing he's done since wrestling YOSHIKO. The fighting spirit spot worked for me, and the follow up made it even better. Shinsuke Nakamura may be my favorite wrestler right now. I love everything he does. Great match.

I feel like there were 6 matches to pick from for this award: Tanahashi/Okada 4/7, Goto/Shibata 6/22, Tanahashi/Ishii 8/2, Shibata/Ishii 8/4, Nakamura/Ibushi 8/4, and Tanahashi/Okada 10/14. This was one of the 6 (though probably not the most obvious of the 6), so I'm okay with it.

Only other match I'd add to that is Nakamura/Sakuraba from Wrestle Kingdom 7.

Interesting that it only won after multiple voting rounds and getting support from other voters.

Best Match of the Year Award
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi [NJPW 8/4 in Osaka] (6 votes)
Shinsue Nakamura vs. Kazushi Sakuraba [NJPW 1/4 in Tokyo] (7 votes)
Tetusya Naito vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi [NJPW 8/1 in Tokyo] (1 vote)
Jun Kasai vs. Jaki Numazawa [bJW 3/1 in Tokyo] (1 vote)
Suwama vs. Go Shiozaki [AJPW 7/14 in Tokyo] (2 votes)
Masato Tanaka vs. Tomohiro Ishii [NJPW 2/3 in Tokyo] (4 votes)
KENTA vs. Daisuke Sekimoto [NOAH 10/19 in Tokyo] (0 votes)
Kazuyuki Fujita vs. Hideki Suzuki [iGF 10/26 in Tokyo] (1 vote)
Hirooki Goto vs. Katsuyori Shibata [NJPW 6/22 in Osaka] (1 vote)
<Re-Vote>
Tanaka vs. Ishii (6 votes)
Nakamura vs. Ibushi (7 votes)
Nakamura vs. Sakuraba (8 votes)
<Third Vote>
Nakamura vs. Ibushi [G1] (14 votes)
Nakamura vs. Sakuraba [WK7] (7 votes)

• 3 weeks later...
Interesting that it only won after multiple voting rounds and getting support from other voters.

That's how it is every year unless something right away just gets a landslide % early on. 

I believe everyone on the commitee is allowed to nominate a match and if it's fairly close, the top 3 or so winners of the 1st round go the 2nd round, then the top 2 if necessary go to the 3rd round and whoever gets the most votes out of those 2 is the winner. 

Aren't the Tokyo Sports choices usually political? Like when they went with Onita/Goto vs Tenryu/Hara (which was awesome) one time or the BJW death match a few years back?

I think the way it goes is that for Wrestler & Match of the year, those are largely legit and then whatever companies didn't win those will have a guy get one of the lesser awards like most technical or whatever for political reasons....

Honestly though, this match was titties. I haven't watched any new Puro since 2008-2009 probably, and this is not the Nakamura I remember, but so much better. Dug the creepy sexual swagger and hyper violent knees and kicks. Ibushi looked completely "state-of-the-art" (to borrow a phrase from the 5/25/92 thread). This made me want to watch the mega hyped Tanahashi matches from the last 2 years to see what else I'm missing. Maybe take a look at Kenta/Nakajima since I really liked those guys back in 05-06 as well.

I think the way it goes is that for Wrestler & Match of the year, those are largely legit and then whatever companies didn't win those will have a guy get one of the lesser awards like most technical or whatever for political reasons....

I'm calling bullshit on there not being some politicking going on to get KENTA/Sekimoto as the sole NOAH nominee over the Kobashi retirement, KENTA/Sugiura, and KENTA/Marufuji.