DVDVR Message Board

I Check Movies

Swift

Once again, I'm pimping this site - http://www.icheckmovies.com/

Basically, you check off movies when you've seen them. There are currently 151 lists on there ranging from IMDB's Top 250 to Top 50 Sci-Fi to the Criterion Collection. You're essentially checking movies off those lists (There are also thousands of unofficial lists running from Hitchcock's filmography to Jason Statham's filmography) As you progress you earn awards.

To me, the awards are essentially useless. By far, my favourite function is comparing to your friend's profiles. And that's where you lot come in. I'm sick of comparing myself to Jae because he beats me in 99% of the lists.

So befriend Jae and I (Rippa is on there too... well, once) and liven things up a bit.

Me: http://www.icheckmovies.com/profiles/cameron+swift/

Jae: http://www.icheckmovies.com/profiles/jae+renfrow/

And just so this thread isn't just a shill, I'll post my Top 20 shames (movies which appear on the most lists which I haven't got around to seeing yet)

1. M (33 lists)

2. 8 1/2 (30 lists)

3. Casablanca (30 lists) - I kinda, sorta watched it, but dozed off in the last half hour, so couldn't bring myself to cheat

4. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (30 lists)

5. Annie Hall (29 lists)

6. On The Waterfront (29 lists)

7. Spirited Away (29 lists)

8. The Third Man (29 lists)

9. The Bridge On The River Kwai (28 lists)

10. Rashomon (28 lists)

11. The Wizard of Oz (28 lists)

12. The Godfather: Part 2 (27 lists)

13. The Seven Samurai (27 lists)

14. Touch Of Evil (27 lists)

15. Metropolis (26 lists)

16. The Best Years of Our Lives (25 lists)

17. Gone With The Wind (25 lists)

18. King Kong (25 lists)

19. The Maltese Falcon (25 lists)

20. City Lights (24 lists)

I was about to say - I think I signed up the last time you pimped this.

Granted - I am really lazy about filling Flickchart so you can imagine how bad I am at this one

And just so this thread isn't just a shill, I'll post my Top 20 shames (movies which appear on the most lists which I haven't got around to seeing yet)

1. M (33 lists)

2. 8 1/2 (30 lists)

3. Casablanca (30 lists) - I kinda, sorta watched it, but dozed off in the last half hour, so couldn't bring myself to cheat

5. Annie Hall (29 lists)

10. Rashomon (28 lists)

18. King Kong (25 lists)

Your shames list is brutal. Unfriend me.

1. M (33 lists)

2. 8 1/2 (30 lists)

5. Annie Hall (29 lists)

10. Rashomon (28 lists)

18. King Kong (25 lists)

Your shames list is brutal. Unfriend me.

It really is. Utterly shameful.

I do get a certain satisfaction though when I watch say [b[in The Mood For Love and "Woah, holy shit, Jae hasn't seen this yet! What's wrong with him?"

Then relatively obscure 1950s Japanese noir... "Of course he's seen this"

I'd be interested in seeing your list.

THAT WORKED!

1. The Bicycle Thief (30)

2. Annie Hall (29)

3. Sunrise (29)

4. Double Indemnity (28)

5. The Best Years of Our Lives (25)

6. The Maltese Falcon (25)

7. City Lights (24)

8. Paths of Glory (24)

9. Fanny and Alexander (23)

10. Andrei Rublev (23)

11. The Red Shoes (22)

12. The Grand Illusion (21)

13. Barry Lyndon (20)

14. Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (20)

15. Ran (20)

16. Sullivan's Travels (20)

17. Tokyo Story (20)

18. Beauty and the Beast (1948) (19)

19. Open City (19)

20. Wild Strawberries (19)

So of these are going to get marked off soon. Annie Hall is on my 'Movies I've Put Off But Will Watch This Year List'. Me and my wife both made a list of twelve in January and we've been trying to work through them. I have Annie Hall and Into the Wild left.

Tokyo Story is on the queue for the 50's poll. So is Wild Strawberries. Some of these I have no excuse, like The Bicycle Thief - that's on Netflix Instant for crying out loud. So's Cabinet of Calligari.

• Like 1

Hey, I'm on this site.  Just look for caley and the picture of the guy from 'The Host' pointing at the screen (Tried to link it but got that weird white box with code error)

I always forget about it, then come back with a vengeance for a few days.

My shame list

Lawrence of Arabia
A Clockwork Orange
Sunrise
The Third Man
The Gold Rush
Jaws
Metropolis
The Best Years of Our Lives
Gone With the Wind
King Kong
City Lights
The General
Battleship Potemkin
Andrei Rublev
All About Eve
The Red Shoes
Ben-Hur
The Grand Illusion
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Persona
Amadeus
Barry Lyndon
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
The Great Dictator
Beauty and the Beast

Can you tell I don't care for silent films and epics?!

I take great pleasure out of knowing I have seen films that even Jae has not partaken of. Barry Lyndon and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, WHUT~

Not like that makes me a better film enthusiast or anything. It's just a fun little thing to horde over people when one of my last DVD purchases was Class of Nuke 'Em High 

Feel free to give me more shit about it. Maybe next time when I'm deciding between movies, I'll watch one of those instead of some silent Ernst Lubtisch. Which by the way, you guys should watch The Doll. It's pretty fast paced, has a kewl story, spiffy black and white visuals, and it's on Netflix Instant. And it's on SEVEN lists that you're probably not trying to medal in.

icheckmovies is probably the most handy movie website of them all. 

I'll have to check this out. Ive been using Letterboxd.com for a while now. It seems pretty similar. I like the layout of letterboxd more right now, but thats just me. www.letterboxd.com/danrice/ is my profile on LB. I havent gotten around to logging and review films yet but Ive created a few list. I love how easy these sites make it to keep track of what Ive seen and still have to see.

Letterboxd is fancier in appearance, and the diary stuff is nice. If you like reviewing movies then it's great, and can maybe even get a conversation or two started. I'm on that by the way if anyone gives a poop: http://letterboxd.com/jaekrenfrow/

Icheckmovies is better if you want to be able to see whatever is considered essential by anyone for anything. Reddit, Jonathan Rosenbaum, Ebert, Spike Lee, Scorsese, IMDB, New York times, every award ever, so on and so on. It's so much easier to figure out what to watch using this site.

Plus you get shiny medals. Everyone loves medals.

What I end up doing is I use icheckmovies as soon as I watch something. Then after a day or so I'll fill in my letterboxd diary with the dates of what I watched. Then maybe I'll go back and write something. About once every three weeks I pull up my recently checked list and go on a flickchart binge, adding all that stuff, and getting pissed that some shitty movie is still lurking in my Top 500.