DVDVR Message Board

Teach me about: Davey Richards

A little off topic but this is as good of a place to ask it as any. Who here on this board is from the Pacific Northwest there seems to be a handful of people who are. I myself am from Tacoma Washington and attend school in the Portland area (actually went to the Smackdown taping tonight)  and stay down here most the year. I just thought we are discussing a PNW wrestler and there was talk of his early years so I thought i'd ask the question.

Yo.  Living in Washington, doing shows for ECCW in British Columbia and DOA down in Portland.  (Incidentally, DOA has a show in Portland on December 29th.  Come and say hi.)  

I worked pretty closely with Davey and Tony Kozina back when they worked Pinnacle Wrestling in Washington in 2006-2007.  They seem to be cut from the same cloth - Davey can be a prick but at least he's honest about being a prick, which is more than I can say for 90% of the guys out there.  

What James said above is pretty accurate, though.

I might as well share my Davey Richards experience.

A little off topic but this is as good of a place to ask it as any. Who here on this board is from the Pacific Northwest there seems to be a handful of people who are. I myself am from Tacoma Washington and attend school in the Portland area (actually went to the Smackdown taping tonight)  and stay down here most the year. I just thought we are discussing a PNW wrestler and there was talk of his early years so I thought i'd ask the question.

I live in Vancouver.  I used to go to ECCW shows all the time.  At one point, this guy named Davey Richards started wrestling.  He was clearly more athletic than most of the roster and wrestled a very intense and athletic style that stood out quite a bit.  I and whoever I was with the first singles match I saw of his went up to him and told him we thought it was great.  He seemed pretty shy and a little uncomfortable with the compliments, which made me like him.  He may have been reluctant around the praise because he got chewed out for blasting whoever he was wrestling, tho.

Anyway, he then went on to the American indy scene and began making a name for himself more and more.  I considered him a hometown guy, like Danielson, who I got to see wrestle before anyone knew who he was.  So, cool wrestler that does his thing and I enjoy watching every now and then.

Fast forward to today.  The DVDVR board falls over themselves to constantly moan and whine about Richards having the audacity to not lay on the mat for the last third of all his matches (I mean, who honestly complains about "exposing the business" in 20-fucking-13?).  At first, I understand their argument, but like a Davey Richards-Eddie Edward classic, the DVDVR just won't stop.  I'm now a bigger Richards fan than I was at any point in the past.

Yeah, the other day I was grousing about how apron-based double stomps exposed the business, while *also* risking concussions and caved in faces for nothing spots.  AND YET I LOVE IT WHEN JIGSAW DOES IT!!!  I'M A FUCKING HYPOCRIGHT!

I worked pretty closely with Davey and Tony Kozina back when they worked Pinnacle Wrestling in Washington in 2006-2007.  They seem to be cut from the same cloth - Davey can be a prick but at least he's honest about being a prick, which is more than I can say for 90% of the guys out there.

Who are some comparable guys in terms of being a prick who is honest about being a prick who we can use as a predictor for how well Davey Richards might navigate WWE backstage politics?

It's weird how "Davey Andrews" disappeared and then shortly after a similar looking and similarly named guy named "Davey Richards" showed up.

I mean, two grown men wanting to call themselves "Davey".  Crazy.

For the six months or so before he started in ROH, I thought he WAS Davey Andrews.

Yo.  Living in Washington, doing shows for ECCW in British Columbia and DOA down in Portland.  (Incidentally, DOA has a show in Portland on December 29th.  Come and say hi.)  

What James said above is pretty accurate, though.

I'm actually up in Tacoma for the holidays and wont be back in Portland until after the first of the year but I will try to make it to the January show.

Yeah, I was around Davey a decent bit when he worked PWG regularly.  Wasn't my favorite person to deal with, but I found him to be mostly straightforward.  I got along fine with him, but also knew there were times he was probably going to be an ass. After you were around him a bit, you knew what to expect from him.  That's not always the case with people. 

I found him to be a little uptight, but not as tightly wound as his reputation suggests.  Seems like he started taking himself and the "fighting spirit" more seriously after he started working the east coast.  I also wonder about some of the stuff he's pulled, like lying about car crashes and injuries to get out of tours in Japan.  Back in '05, I was under the impression one of his goals was to get into NJPW.  He burnt that bridge fairly quickly

And now he's burning bridges on the way to the WWE, I guess, but I'm sure WWE notices this kind of thing. Why would they hire such a documented nutcase anyway? He can't have that big of an upside.

The single biggest thing I hate about "new school wrestling" is kicking out of devastating finishers. If you do some kinda crazy headdrop where it looks like you've broken your opponent's neck (because you probably have legitimately), at least have the common decency to get the pin out of it. If you kick out of it, you shit on a dangerous move, and that also probably guarantees there will be at least one more dangerous move over the course of the match.

One thing I have a hard time forgiving him for ... and I'm pretty forgiving of a lot, personally ... is a match he had teaming with Super Dragon, and I don't remember who Jack Evans was teaming with against them, but Davey has the upper hand on Evans, then just blurts out, mid-offense, "STUPID WHIGGER!" and proceeds to further stiff Evans.

This took me out of the match completely. It even soured me on PWG, as it also reminded me of an unfortunate introduction I had to Chris Bosh, in the first match I ever saw him in where he kept hurling incredibly racist epithets at Hook Bomberry, including calling him a "gook" at one point. Probably even more than one point.

One thing I have a hard time forgiving him for ... and I'm pretty forgiving of a lot, personally ... is a match he had teaming with Super Dragon, and I don't remember who Jack Evans was teaming with against them, but Davey has the upper hand on Evans, then just blurts out, mid-offense, "STUPID WHIGGER!" and proceeds to further stiff Evans.

This took me out of the match completely. It even soured me on PWG, as it also reminded me of an unfortunate introduction I had to Chris Bosh, in the first match I ever saw him in where he kept hurling incredibly racist epithets at Hook Bomberry, including calling him a "gook" at one point. Probably even more than one point.

The first PWG show I attended was Chris Hero defending the title against Joey Ryan. Heel Hero called the crowd 'faggot' about 16 times. It was extraordinarily creative. Fortunately, that's the only low point I've seen at a PWG show outside of an AR Fox match. 

I seem to remember Jack being called a whigger very regularly in like 2004ish and at one point, I believe someone on ROH commentary called him that. I could be wrong on the latter though.

It's PWG, though. They are known for their black sense of humor. 

And Sami Zayn/El Generico played a Mexican stereotype for years. Do you have a hard time forgiving him for that?

It's PWG, though. They are known for their black sense of humor. 

And Sami Zayn/El Generico played a Mexican stereotype for years. Do you have a hard time forgiving him for that?

I acknowledge your response, only to also rebut that I think your point about El Generico only has merit if someone (probably Davey Richards) were to call him a "stinkin' wetback."  THEN we have parity.  As it is, though, I refuse to get into a debate on my issues over this with you. 

I do sincerely appreciate your input, while also wondering what you mean by "black" humor; Richard Pryor, Michael Richards, or dead baby jokes all fall under the same technical category.