DVDVR Message Board

Teach me about: Davey Richards

Low-Ki made it to television. I don't anticipate Davey doing that.

I fear that Davey will suffer the same fate in NXT as Chris Hero.  He will find some way to fuck things up.

I have no problems with Davey as a worker.  My first exposure to him was during my tape trading days when I scored on some German pro wrestling and watched him work with Murat Bosporous.  Davey was smart enough to let Murat carry the match, bump huge, hit his spots, transition back to Murat, and stick to the script.

I agree with the guy that said that Davey's NXT matches will be okay if someone reels him in.  Davey hasn't learned on his own that you don't have to work every spot you know into a single match.  If Davey makes the roster, he'll benefit best from a manager that does his talking for him.

Davey's attitude isn't nearly as bad as Teddy Hart's is.  Hart is fucking delusional.

Yeah, I was perhaps a bit unkind with that comparison. One is stupid, one is a lunatic.

I was at Davey/Shingo from a few years back and I fucking loved it. 

I'm going to pretend you said "Shango".

Did he set Davey's boots on fire?

Unless there were monkeys inside said boots, I highly doubt it.

I was at that same Davey/Shingo show and towards the finishing sequence I thought things got a bit out of hand. I thought Danielson/Doi was the slightly better match from that show, and hindsight being 20/20, I would say I much prefer Danielson/Doi to Davey/Shingo. This was also Gabe and DGUSA would actually somewhat draw.

That spot, done "correctly" or not is remarkably stupid and business-exposing.

For me, who thinks about moves in terms of "babyfaces" and "heels", it seems like trying to kill someone isn't something you do when playing babyface or in a babyface v. babyface type match.

That double stop is something that should only be used by heels to kickstart or end a feud. Think Macho Man hitting Steamboat with the bell type-stuff.

The scary part is that I probably thought more about the context of that move than Davy ever has.

• Like 2

Davey has a really weird timeline, although I may be the only one who views things like this. In 06, he came in to ROH as tremendously hyped by Gabe, and there was almost immediate backlash when he failed to deliver. He seemingly found his notch as the comedy for the No Remorse Corps stuff, but all that tag wars stuff got shit on. His best match from that period was probably the one against Joe from the fifth year festival, but even that was met with indifference because everyone felt as though Joe could have a great match with anyone.

I think Davey started to have more of a following because he gave people a sort of life buoy for what they expected from ROH during a period of turmoil from the company. He continued a style that fans had grown accustomed to. If I were to pay Davey a compliment, it would be that he probably got a higher percentage of buzz than anyone else in ROH at this time. Really, looking back at those shows, if there wasn't a noteworthy Davey match on the show, no one really mentioned it. He was like a star player during a teams down year.

I think here begins the issues that are well documented on this board. Davey's matches started to become quite inbred; it was like he was competing not to have a great match, but instead to have a better match than his last one, which I think is an important distinction. I also think that the Indy dream match style shifted a little and other workers surpassed him. Sami Callihan and El Generico come to mind as two guys who could go out and have a great match in that same work rate vein, but they could add something to the match other than endless athleticism. I don't want to say that Davey doesn't have a personality or charisma, because he very clearly does, but I think I would say that his personality often doesn't come out in his work as much as some other equally praised wrestlers.

It should also be noted that Davey us the only wrestler my mother has ever laughed at. He was doing his 'no remorse!' shtick and my mom started laughing and said 'why is the boy who is shorter than me acting like he is a bad ass?' for the record my mother is around 5'6". Thinking about it, considering this is the only thing my mom has ever said about wrestling, she would probably fit right in on this board.

Davey Richards is a weird bird for me. I've seen a ton of his PNW indy stuff. I've seen him work really well as a pissant heel, I've seen him try the 'wrestling is serious business' bullshit in front of 100 people in an Elks Lodge in Tacoma.

He's definitely a headcase. Him and Tony Kozina fostered this environment of srsbsnss in ECCW and Pinnacle when they were around that took a lot of decent talent and had them make incredibly poor life decisions. He'd frequently trash the product he was on for not being serious enough in Youtube promos and was just generally an ass.

• Like 1

He can be really good with the right opponent. His match against Zack Sabre Jr from the Revolution Pro show in London a couple of months ago was superb. I'd give most of the credit for that to ZSJ, who's been excellent whenever I've seen him, but Davey played his part. I also loved his match with Michael Elgin, thinking about it, but if I followed ROH closely enough to have seen him do the same thing on a weekly basis I'd soon get sick of it.

Why doesn't Eddie Edwards catch as much flack as Davey. He is in most of those matches and spots.

Is Kyle O'Reily the next Davey Richards?

I don't think so. O'Reilly seems to have more of a sense of humor about things and "get it" from a character standpoint. Such as his hipster douchebag team in ROH.

Why doesn't Eddie Edwards catch as much flack as Davey. He is in most of those matches and spots.

Is Kyle O'Reily the next Davey Richards?

I don't think so. O'Reilly seems to have more of a sense of humor about things and "get it" from a character standpoint. Such as his hipster douchebag team in ROH.

Not familiar with his ROH work...

I DO like his mouth piece getting knocked out spot, although I wish it was a signal that he was done like in a video game or something when the boss is gonna die. It would make his kickouts from SUPER MOVEZ better.

What he said about the wierd timeline. DR always struck me as the guy who showed up late to a party and tried to keep it raging after everyone left. Or like started a grunge band in 1999. Is it really his fault? Fate is a cruel mistress. To the other shit, I don't know any ROHbots and headcases play an important role in sustaining my interest in pro wrestling. That mouthpeice spot sounds amazing, when it comes loose they should brawl over it like it's a magic amulet. Totally get why people hate him though.

I became interested so I decided to watch a wrestler that will bring out the INDY in Davey Richards.

None other than Kota Ibushi. Yea this is an Indy match for sure.

Dude just LOOKS like a jerk.

Oh yea, I watched that Tony Kozina match too. That is sad. I liked how the lady in the purple shirt on the front row kept the young boy's hopes up. Or at least she tried to.

It's weird how "Davey Andrews" disappeared and then shortly after a similar looking and similarly named guy named "Davey Richards" showed up.

I mean, two grown men wanting to call themselves "Davey".  Crazy.

• Like 1

A little off topic but this is as good of a place to ask it as any. Who here on this board is from the Pacific Northwest there seems to be a handful of people who are. I myself am from Tacoma Washington and attend school in the Portland area (actually went to the Smackdown taping tonight)  and stay down here most the year. I just thought we are discussing a PNW wrestler and there was talk of his early years so I thought i'd ask the question.