DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News (RIP D&R's thread)

Elsalvajeloco

Boxing does need heels, I agree with that.  There is nothing likeable about Broner.  As much as I dislike Floyd, he still carries himself with class(most of the time), and he seems to be getting less hate as he gets older.  Broner needed this loss though, for himself.  He needed the humility.  Whether or not he gains humility from this remains to be seen.

Floyd was already a top boxer when he started showing off. Broner was a boxer, and started to showing off. I agree this one loss might not hurt him too much, but another? Then he's forgotten about. Look at Pac-Man guy was a superstar loses 2, and his stock has dropped. 

Hopefully Broner takes this as a learning opportunity and starts hitting the gym with a fury.  Seems like he was saying all the right stuff after the fight.  People say his work ethic is a bit dodgy.  I dont know but he will be better served maybe moving back down to 140 or something.  Have to hand it to Paulie.  He really showed a lot of Broner's weaknesses.  Same his punch cant break wet paper towel

Floyd was already a top boxer when he started showing off. Broner was a boxer, and started to showing off. I agree this one loss might not hurt him too much, but another? Then he's forgotten about. Look at Pac-Man guy was a superstar loses 2, and his stock has dropped. 

His stock did drop but he is still a top 3 name in terms of drawing. Floyd vs. Manny would still break records in my personal opinion. People might say they don't care but they would watch.

• 4 weeks later...

his son is actually the executive director of the WBC. But i'd imagine some of the other underlings might try to avoid a dynasty.

Or the unhappy guys will try to defect to another similarly corrupt organization

They must be running out of letters to put after WB for a new boxing organization.  

This is a big one:

World super-middleweight champion Carl Froch has been ordered to have a rematch with George Groves within 90 days or risk losing his belt.

The International Boxing Federation has told the pair to fight again following an appeal by Groves after Froch's controversial stoppage in November.

Earlier today, Groves, 25, turned down an "unsatisfactory" rematch offer.

After the IBF's decision, he tweeted: "Maybe I was right after all turning down that 'amazing' offer."

Nottingham fighter, Froch, beat Groves in Manchester on 23 November with a stoppage in the ninth round, but the decision was met with a negative response from sections of the crowd.

Afterwards, Groves insisted the contest had been ended too soon.

"Groves thought the fight was stopped early. The panel, three members, listened to all the evidence and they decided a rematch was in order," IBF Championships chairman Lindsey E Tucker told BBC Sport. "I guess… they ordered the rematch after his complaint."

Tucker said Froch had 90 days to fight again and that if he failed to do so, he would "probably" lose his IBF title.

Froch won his IBF title with a fifth-round stoppage of Canada's Lucian Bute at the Capital FM Arena in Nottingham in May 2012.

Tucker added: "Both fighters were notified of the decision right away. We've heard responses from both parties but I'd rather not say what they said. They both acknowledge the decision."

If Froch were to lose his IBF title he would still be a WBA champion, although American Andre Ward, who beat Froch in 2011, is the WBA's so-called 'super' champion.

The 36-year-old said on Friday morning he would aim to arrange a fight with Mexico's Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr after revealing Groves had rejected a "seven figure" offer for a rematch.

But Groves then insisted negotiations were ongoing and that he was waiting for the outcome of the IBF's decision on his appeal.

Following the IBF's ordering of a rematch, Groves said on Twitter: "Now everyone understands Carl Froch press release today. Wants to move on? Hold on honey, IBF says NoNoNo. Rematch or vacate."

Credit: bbc.co.uk/sport

Never watched a fight at a pub, like this to be the first.

Watched a fight in an English pub?  I've been in a fight in an English pub, man!  Those boys in Whitechapel take their Footie seriously and they'll swing at anybody if their team loses, even the tourist nursing a pint in the corner.

• Like 1