DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News (RIP D&R's thread)

Elsalvajeloco

Freddie Roach is set to train Miguel Cotto for his October 5th fight against Delvin Rodriguez. It's not 100 percent yet but it's close as of the time I am writing this. Then he will fly to the Philippines to train Manny Pacquiao. The whole camp will take place there since the flight to Macau is short. I figured that Delvin Rodriguez would get the spot since he hasn't won a big fight outside of the second Wolak fight.

Floyd Mayweather begun his training camp for Canelo in LV. Canelo has already started his camp in Big Bear and is down to a reported 165 pounds.

Hopefully better footwork will come with the streamlining.  Canelo will need some serious improvement in his movement in order to beat Money. Absorbing to deliver has worked for Alvarez in the past, but this is the biggest jump in opposition for him ever.  I have to disagree with some of Saul's critics though.  I think the inexperience will work in Canelo's favor.  He will train to win without being intimidated by the gravity of the situation.

The biggest hurdle he will have to mantle will be in the midding rounds if he is not landing as he thinks he should and begins to get frustrated.  Alvarez will have to have a helluva corner that will help him keep his head in the fight.  He will not win the fight if he does not keep advancing and punching.

• Like 1

I always bring up Castillo when it comes to Mayweather fights, but that is a template Canelo would be wise to use.  I don't think he can take a punch like Castillo, however, so he absolutely must work in the jab and more straight shots.  I would hope that is something that he is working to improve on in training camp, as it is one of Floyd's biggest weaknesses.

Canelo just needs to prep for the mind games.  Money is going to try to fuck with Canelo's head and the worst thing Canelo can do is lose his temper and go charging in recklessly trying to absorb shots so that he can deliver them.. 

Mayweather has amazing conditioning and a peerless counterpuncher, so chasing after him in anger will result in Canelo getting peppered with combinations. 

On the other side of the mind games coin if Canelo gets discouraged and doesn't keep his hands busy, he'll also lose the fight.  The number of fights that Mayweather wins because of guys getting so despondent that their punch count goes down the shitter is amazing..

And like you said, for the love of God he needs to stick his jabs in and throw digs at the body even if they are partially deflected.  If Mayweather wanted to overutilize that bullshit shoulder roll, I would punch Mayweather in the bicep until his arm fell off.

Cotto did that, and it was pretty damn effective until he got away from it.

Mind games, man.  Mosely also abandoned his jab in the fight with Mayweather in later rounds and it was a straight jab from Mosely that nearly put Money on his ass early in the fight.

That is why I like Canelo being young and stubborn and aggressive.  If he gives up on a sound game plan that works for nine rounds because it doesn't appear to be working for two rounds, he is going to get point punched into a decision loss.  Stick to the fucking game plan.  Throw lots and lots of jabs.

As for Alvarez's corner, I don't know if Chepo Reynoso is the trainer you would want in your corner for this type of fight. For an Austin Trout fight, it probably doesn't make a difference. Maybe it's the language barrier, but some of the weaknesses in Canelo's game are still readily apparent. In the Trout fight, you basically saw the best and worst of Canelo Alvarez. I feel it's like when Felix Trinidad and Fres Oquendo were praising Papa Trinidad. Then, they were asked to fight a totally different way than they had been fighting their whole career against people who had answers for them. 

BTW, Danny Garcia vs. Lucas Matthysse will be on the Mayweather vs. Canelo PPV undercard officially.

Announced today: Carl Froch will defend his IBF and WBA world super-middleweight titles against unbeaten George Groves in either late November or early December. I either watch the big boxing fights or don't but I try to watch Carl Froch fights.

That will be a good fight for Froch and a much-deserved high profile match-up for Groves, but I would like to see Froch sign a rematch with Andre Ward.  Froch rebounded from the loss to Ward by stopping Bute, knocking Yusuf Mack the fuck out, and avenging an earlier loss to Kessler. 

A rematch with Ward makes perfect boxing sense, but it'd have to be dramatically hyped since the post fight excitement for a rematch has long since faded away.

There is boxing on Showtime this weekend. Even though it's headlined by Andre Berto vs. Mexican JTTS Jesus Soto-Karass, the fight to watch is Keith Thurman vs. Diego Chaves. Chaves is someone who I have watched for awhile. He has decent handspeed, fun to watch, and has good power, attributes he shares with many of his contemporaries from Argentina.  Chaves' one problem, besides being a big fish in small pond, is that he CONSTANTLY readjusts his trunks in his fights. Like every 10 seconds, he has to readjust his trunks. He has more problems with his trunks than his opponents. 

There is boxing on Showtime this weekend. Even though it's headlined by Andre Berto vs. Mexican JTTS Jesus Soto-Karass, the fight to watch is Keith Thurman vs. Diego Chaves. Chaves is someone who I have watched for awhile. He has decent handspeed, fun to watch, and has good power, attributes he shares with many of his contemporaries from Argentina.  Chaves' one problem, besides being a big fish in small pond, is that he CONSTANTLY readjusts his trunks in his fights. Like every 10 seconds, he has to readjust his trunks. He has more problems with his trunks than his opponents. 

Berto-Karass might at least be kinda fun.  Interested in seeing Chaves.

In today's "where the hell do I put this news?" department, Spike/Bellator have plans to do a Rampage vs. Roy Jones, Jr. boxing match.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/07/quinton-jackson-vs-roy-jones-jr-boxing-bout-targeted-for-year-end-ppv

What weight class is this freak show supposed to be at? Can Rampage make 200 lbs for cruiserweight?

You should track down Omar Figueroa vs. Nihito Arakawa for the WBC interim 135lbs. title if you missed it tonight. Just brutal, phenomenal stuff every round. Definitely my fight of the year so far.

You should track down Omar Figueroa vs. Nihito Arakawa for the WBC interim 135lbs. title if you missed it tonight. Just brutal, phenomenal stuff every round. Definitely my fight of the year so far.

Watched the replay a couple days ago.  What a fucking war!