DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News (RIP D&R's thread)

Elsalvajeloco

Floyd's post-fight bill at the Hard Rock: 

5 bottles of Patrone – $2,375
3 Grey Goose – $1,425
6 bottles of Ciroc – $2,850
20 bottles of Luc champagne – $11,500
1  6-liter bottle of Luc – $6,500
200 chicken wings – $600
1 fruit platter – $55

Total: $25,305. And since you're reading this here, you know he stiffed the waitress.  

I'm sorry, but shit like that makes my blood boil.

Floyd's post-fight bill at the Hard Rock: 

5 bottles of Patrone – $2,375
3 Grey Goose – $1,425
6 bottles of Ciroc – $2,850
20 bottles of Luc champagne – $11,500
1  6-liter bottle of Luc – $6,500
200 chicken wings – $600
1 fruit platter – $55

Total: $25,305. And since you're reading this here, you know he stiffed the waitress.  

I'm sorry, but shit like that makes my blood boil.

You spend eleven grand on some fin ass Luc bubbly and the only food you order is chicken wings and a fruit platter.  That is so ghetto.

The fight was a snoozer.  Amir Khan or Danny Garcia will probably be the next fighter to get bamboozled for twelve rounds.   So long as Golden Boy and Top Rank still have beef with each other, Mayweather will never fight Tim Bradley who IMO has the best chance of outpointing him right now.

Not on this fucking planet. Bradley ain't outpointing Mayweather. Dude can't even find shoes that fit him properly and hurts his leg every time out. You'd think he was wearing Under Armour cleats.

I said best chance.  Never qualified it as a good chance.  Bradley and Mayweather would burn through ten rounds waiting to counterpunch the other guy.  It is a fight no one wants to see.

• 3 weeks later...

I expected Walters to win but not that brutally. It's weird watching someone like Donaire who could be an offensive dynamo turn into the ultimate feast or famine fighter. Once Walters turned it into straight up trench warfare, he decimated Donaire in every way possible.

• 3 weeks later...

No. This is a very unique fight in that Kovalev is really the first real bruiser that can conceivably put Hopkins down. Maybe Tito Trinidad, but I always considered him a big hitter for junior middleweight. Yeah, William Joppy made him look like Jesus Christ at 160. But he didn't face a significant # of middleweights before retirement #1. I never considered Pavlik to be that guy either. He had a solid run up to taking the belts from Jermain, but his run WITH the belts was very mediocre much like Jermain Taylor post Taylor-Hopkins II.

On the other hand, Kovalev has not faced a murderer's row of light heavyweights. The knockout win over the Black Russian was neat. Beating Campillo was decent, but we know Campillo is like 1/4 as good as he was years ago. He had some good wins, but not over anyone you would expect a good prospect at 175 to lose to. I'm not slagging him off because he easily could down 90% of the top guys who have fought at 175 since Hopkins beat Tarver. It has been a top heavy division for several years now.

The one intriguing thing is the strength of schedule. Career-wise, it's Bernard Hopkins no contest. But Kovalev isn't facing 35 year old Bernard Hopkins who is about to whoop on the invincible bully Felix Trinidad for the legitimate middleweight throne. This is AARP Bernard Hopkins who is still ring saavy as ever, but many rounds he chooses just to throw paint brush punches. If this was the Hopkins that fought Pavlik in AC, I would feel very confident in my pick. But recent strength-of-schedule makes it very much a tossup. It's Bernard Hopkins fresh off a win versus Beibut "My Chief Second is Dewey Cooper" Shumenov. You need a certain level of activity to beat Kovalev, and Hopkins has not been asked to do much since his rematch with Dawson really.

Taking all that into account, this is one of the toughest fights to choose a winner for in quite awhile. Logic gives both guys an advantage, yet shows how both can easily lose.