DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News (RIP D&R's thread)

Elsalvajeloco

• 4 weeks later...

The man is frightening.  Not in a Kovalev kinda way, but like, in a serial killer kinda way.  Just so calm and precise and powerful.  I would consider last night a BAD night for him too.  He was a little sloppy, and it still only took one good shot to make Geale say "fuck this".

Kovalev is going to smash B-Hop. Kovalev isn't drunken Pavlik (who people seem to forget Hopkins made come up in weight). If Krusher puts one of those straight rights to the body on 49 year old B-Hop... he's going down.

I don't think it is so much that because there have been several dominant fighters (Mexican and/or from the United States) that didn't draw worth a lick. Since someone already brought him up, I will say Kelly Pavlik is an example of that. Golovkin and Kovalev have a hard time drawing crowds because their fanbase would essentially be overseas where they don't fight. Cotto wasn't a big ratings draw when he fought on regular HBO, but the fact he fought in Puerto Rico and was their anointed son made him seem important. He drew good crowds in MSG, but he wasn't a big enough star to get a fight with Mayweather. Then, the whole spectacle of Cotto vs. Margarito I sent him over the top.

Golovkin and Kovalev haven't had the foils to be that star HBO wants them to be. They try to sell people on Geale and Caparello, but people see through that. The fact that Geale was GGG's best opponent is a sad indictment on boxing. And you would say, well wouldn't Chavez make a great opponent because he's Mexican? Even if Golovkin was Puerto Rican, Chavez isn't on the radar enough anymore to really be that catalyst to make someone a superstar. Chavez is a good, exciting fighter, but he ain't the best middleweight or super middleweight. Golovkin needs something more than exciting fights or squash matches. He needs someone against him who people legit see (or can be fooled into buying the hype of) "defusing the bomb" and isn't afraid to say it. Fortunately for Kovalev, he has the closest fit to that with Bernard Hopkins.

• Like 2

That's a great point, and you elaborated it better than I ever could.  GGG desperately needs that perceived threat.  Cotto is a step in the right direction, since he's viewed as an upper level guy, but I doubt anyone thinks he'd beat Golovkin.  Not sure who else is there at this point.  Sergio is shot, Chavez lost his luster.  It's a weak division at the top right now.  However, one division up or down has TONS of potential top level fights.

• Like 1

It's unfortunate for GGG that Sergio Martinez got old and chose to cash out against Cotto. He was really the only one that could have legitimized GGG as the middleweight champ in many peoples eyes. Quillin would be a good win, but with the Haymon/HBO cold war that fight won't happen anytime soon.

• Like 1

Looking for recommendations on boxing books.

Read 'Four Kings' and really enjoyed it. Also read a few others, but nothing that stands out.

Focusing on the early days would be good (Dempsey, Johnson, etc), but open to suggestion on any books that might be worthwhile. Also, preferably books that can be picked up in ebook format.

Thanks in advance.

As a UK boxing fan, what boxing shows in the US tend to offer the best in terms of the quality of matches/fighters?

I know they often don't match up to what is on offer on PPV, but I noticed that the US has a wider range (seemingly) of weekly boxing shows.

Friday Night Fights and Fox Sports are really the only weekly shows that I've seen that don't require some kind of premium package.  Telemundo has Boxeo which is always fun.  As for quality though, Boxing After Dark on HBO is always more hit than miss.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying very hard to get excited about Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 but it is hard. 

Mayweather already knows what he has to do to earn a DEC win and Maidana still won't crack the code on the shoulder roll defense in enough time to win the fight.

I am trying very hard to get excited about Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 but it is hard. 

Mayweather already knows what he has to do to earn a DEC win and Maidana still won't crack the code on the shoulder roll defense in enough time to win the fight.

Im not too excited either.  Floyd will make this a much easier win this time out.