DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News (RIP D&R's thread)

Elsalvajeloco

I know everyone wants Wilder to step it up, but I wouldn't mind if Wilder went on a 9 month tour of retiring heavyweights that need to leave the sport. Some of these guys don't need to put on the gloves anymore.

I fully support this Deontay Wilder Lights Out 2013 murder tour. 

The HW ranks could use a few less tomato cans and a badass as the unified champ that chews up usurpers like a combine in a fucking wheat field and really tests a contender's heart. 

Everybody gets to wear a title belt in boxing these days.  What is this?  The WWE?

• Like 1

WBA heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko will rumble with Alexander Povetkin in Moscow on Oct. 5.

Pac-Man has said that he will willingly undergo random PED testing en route to his fight with Brandon Rios on Nov 23.

ESPN

In a house on the edge of a dead-end road, an old woman waits for her son to die. The call will come any day now, she says, and when it does, she wants her youngest boy to be buried in Sulphur Springs, Ark., with the rest of the family. She dreads and hopes for this call, if that makes any sense. Only none of it makes sense.

Diana Morrison crushes a Pall Mall, lights another and dissects her son's fate. She's matter-of-fact about it, barely emotional, perhaps because Tommy Morrison, former World Boxing Organization champion, former HIV cautionary tale, has stared at death before. But this time it's different.

She says he has full-blown AIDS. She believes he's in his final days. His skin is jaundiced; his liver is failing. "He's too far gone," she says, flashing an incredulous look when asked whether he could recover. "He's in the end stages. That's it." She says Morrison has been bedridden for a year, can't speak and is being kept alive with the help of a feeding tube and a ventilator.

Sad story... but it's hard to dredge up a ton of sympathy for someone completely in denial about HIV as he is/was. To the point where he continues to have unprotected sex with his WIFE.

Dude, I think he had or was suppose to have a MMA fight on an Arizona indian reservation about 4 or 5 years ago. The guy he was suppose to fight DIDN'T know he had HIV until he was on Sherdog radio and they told him about Morrison's condition.

Dude, I think he had or was suppose to have a MMA fight on an Arizona indian reservation about 4 or 5 years ago. The guy he was suppose to fight DIDN'T know he had HIV until he was on Sherdog radio and they told him about Morrison's condition.

Pretty sure Morrison refused to fight the other guy until they made grappling illegal... and even then he wouldn't fight until they banned knee, elbow and foot strikes as well. So it was an "MMA" fight where punches were the only legal attack.

Didn't it supposedly come out that he got checked again and didn't really have HIV?  I never heard a followup to that until just now.

There was something shady about it where it couldn't be proven that the blood sample that was submitted for testing was his. And his "proof" was just something like a negative test result report. Nobody ever watched him take the actual test.

That and the fact that he only even fought on Indian Reservations after contracting HIV should tell you the truth. If he really didn't have it the NSAC or someone else could have retested him after the false positive and he could have got his boxing license back.

Tyson is still battling demons.

"I wanna live my sober life. I don't wanna die. I'm on the verge of dying, because I'm a vicious alcoholic," the former heavyweight boxing champion said on ESPN's Friday Night Fights.

"I'm a bad guy sometimes. I did a lot of bad things, and I want to be forgiven. So in order for me to be forgiven, I hope they can forgive me. I wanna change my life, I wanna live a different life now."

The 47-year-old admitted to being a continual substance abuser but was hopeful he was finally becoming clean.

"I haven't drank or took drugs in six days, and for me that's a miracle," he revealed. "I've been lying to everybody else that think I was sober, but I'm not. This is my sixth day. I'm never gonna use again."

Man, I hope he whoops this.  I've met Tyson twice and he was a very gracious person both times.  When I took my girlfriend to his signing in Vegas during the weekend of Pacquiao / Marquez 3, he even remembered me from when I'd met him in Atlantic City three years prior.  I'm prayin for you, bro.

Just heard, myself.  I always wonder where he would've ended up if not for his illness.  I thought he showed flashes of being really good.

He would have wound up as a stepping stone.  Exciting guy to watch at times but that chin was far from world class.  Nevertheless he made an incredible amount of money in his career

You should track down Omar Figueroa vs. Nihito Arakawa for the WBC interim 135lbs. title if you missed it tonight. Just brutal, phenomenal stuff every round. Definitely my fight of the year so far.

Yeah I wouldn't have wanted to be either of those guys the day/week after that fight.